BTW dont u think this is not enough after whole 1 year

32GB Storage
Accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate
Class 32 edge/gprs
FM transmitter
Digital Compass :p

Tamoghno

Padawan
Whats the problem with you se fanboys . S60 dont need a 800 mhz to run decently . Just look how fast s60 runs on e71 or 5320 with its 369 mhz processor and compare those to standard winmo phone.

If you are still skeptical , then go through the various walkthrough and point me where do you find it lagging.

If you need a powerful processor and true multimedia powerhouse then go buy a omnia hd. And be happy with pathetic battery life that cant go through even a full day . I'd rather take a usuable battery life over bragging right about processor.

N97 is surely not the perfect phone in the world . S60 5th edition os prolly the most dated looking os and 128mb ram should hurt multitasking. A xenon flash wouldn't hurt either. But still it does very well what it its made to do. There are not many phone in this world with qwerty keyboard , better than 5800 sound quality , 3.5inch 16 MILLION Color screen , better than n95 camera and nice battery life.

And before anybody start comparing it with omnia hd , please be known that n97 is not a multimedia focused phone , its a internet service based phone.

sujoyp

Grand Master
X1 battery life is as good as N97:smile: check gsmarena.com if u wanna check

if u really think its internet service based phone..then no use of 32gb
but if its a multimedia phone then it had to be compared to omniaHD..

OS is upto ur own taste...go to xdadeveloper site and try to compare symbian with winmo...u will be bashed like anything:razz:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
The keyboard is pathetic. Check out the reviews. I have nothing against the phone. its just that their marketing is full of BS. A "computer" should be tops in both multimedia and internet services.

The Xperia is made of half metal, and comparing the build of the plasticky N97 is nothing short of stupidity.

LOLWUT?? Class 32 gprs is actually a major feature?? lolzz.

And please. The 16million color crap is full of BS too. Look at the screen resolution of the Xperia and this one. Now compare both the screens and you will see which one is better.
Talking about sound quality, read a few xperia reviews and you will know.

Tamoghno

Padawan
X1 battery life is as good as N97:smile: check gsmarena.com if u wanna check

if u really think its internet service based phone..then no use of 32gb
but if its a multimedia phone then it had to be compared to omniaHD..

OS is upto ur own taste...go to xdadeveloper site and try to compare symbian with winmo...u will be bashed like anything:razz:

I dont think that xperia (or any winmo for that matter) can last a full day of HEAVY usage . By heavy i mean 3-4 hours web browsing , and 1 hour phone and few hours of music.i've never seen any winmo last full day with that usage. My friends diamond loses its battery before noon if heavy browsing is done. About gsmarena review , i just dont believe them (or any review site fully for that matter).

The 32gb is just a stand out feature from rest of the market. It dont even support divx/xvid , how can they bragnabout movie playback.

Os is not all about taste. Again and again its been proved that symbian is most efficient os for smartphone out there . Why do you think se and samsung uses symbian for their flagship product ? I dont actually like s60 5th myself , but atleast it dont lag in like winmo.

I dont actually liked n97 much , i even enjoyed the bashing n97 got from boygeniusreports.com . But i hate when someone compare it with something inferior like xperia just because they are se fanboy . If you need to compare , compare it with touch pro2 , or omnia hd or idou.

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
Anyone purchased N97?

Any personal review?

I don't think its available in major cities!

We can't jump into conclusion from reviews found in the net,

We need to inspect personally!

k4ce

Youngling
agreed s60 might look dated when compared to touchflo , touchwiz etc etc... then look at the underlying windows os that u will eventually reach ... thats horrible ...

i really think the n97 was designed by nokia as a decent allrounder wid net as its forte ... its still got great multimedia capabilities , ample storage and a few other goodies :) ... it does its job and does it well (or so i hope)

comparing it wid omnia for the cam , htc for the thumbable interface and metal body finish of the xperia is just not right ... and besides the nokia n97 wasnt made by nokia to beat the xperia or make it look underspeced ... they just put all that in the fone that was necessary .. nothing more

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
They should have come up with a better proccy and more RAM. Everything feels fast in the beginning. Jam it with a few gbs of multimedia content. A few apps, let the cache build and then see.

with something inferior like xperia just because they are se fanboy . If you need to compare , compare it with touch pro2 , or omnia hd or idou.

:lol::lol:

Anyways, btw , the N86 been launched too.

k4ce

Youngling
^ yeah something a lil faster wud have been better... but the present thing shud be sufficient ... i have an 8gb card (6.5 filled wid music and n-gage games mostly) , bout 20-25 apps , it still seems fine (and mine is only 367mhz)

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
^^Do you multitask with 2-3 taks open at the same time?? The N97 will have a horde of widgets open in its background. Transitions to hog in memory, etc etc.

Tamoghno

Padawan
@ dreamcatcher

You probably have no idea about efficiency of s60 . Just let se come up with idou and only then you will realize how fast it is compared to winmo. S60@ 369 mhz >> winmo @ 500 mhz

Also better processor does not always mean faster. N82 have better processor than e71 , but still in normal use e71 performs faster than n82.

I think the ram might be a problem but then again since they put demand paging in fp2 i've not seen out of memory warning in any new nokia device.

Power UP

In the zone
They should have come up with a better proccy and more RAM. Everything feels fast in the beginning. Jam it with a few gbs of multimedia content. A few apps, let the cache build and then see.
:lol::lol:
Actually you don't even have to go that far. Its reported in the symbian freak site that just enabling Transitions slows down the phone quite a bit.

Its better to get Satio or Omnia Hd. Probably only qwerty fans should consider N97.

k4ce

Youngling
I've got quite a few apps running ... s60v3 doesnt have widget support... i always have jbtaskman , free-isms , answering machine and a couple more running ... no major memory consumers and no transition effects (i've got 128mb ... even wid n-gage running , i'll have minimum of 50mb free always) ... transition does not kill memory though ... very proc hungry

transition effects slow every fone down that donot have a hardware graphic accelarator ... and that might slow the n97 down ...

Last edited:

Power UP

In the zone
Add to the fact that N97's Arm11 434mhz has to process a much higher resolution 360x640 compared to a typical s60v3 phone with 369mhz and 240x320 resolution screen.
Plus symbian OS v9.4 os which is a memory hog (u get around 50mb free ram compared to around 90mb in previous) but probably has speed optimizations with how big performance gain is a bit sketchy.
And add those widgets which are running 24/7 ( although can be turned off) which are one of the main highlights which nokia proudly showcases.

Its pretty clear that the N97 is pushing its limits right from the start.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Theres nothing bad about the N97. Nokia could easily have put a Tegra/Snapdragon/OMAP platform in the phone but thy didnt. Its not a matter about how an OS can manage itself better. But its a question about how you should install your flagships with the best platforms available. It wouldnt hurt having memory and a better proccy to play with. Would it?

Power UP

In the zone
^^ most likely only stability updates. The processor is only an slightly overclocked version of the 5800's. Optimizations will only get you so far and already the processor is pushing it.

And from the sf forums, the nightmare of the old n95 returns
The phone has a really brutal way of dealing with low ram - it can close any app in the background if the ram drops below 10 mb, to preserve smooth experience for you current app. Additionally Widget UI closes to preserve the memory, and immediately relaunches when the ram slowly builds up again.

Probably can be fixed in future firmware.............quite a mess.

Last edited:

Tamoghno

Padawan
Add to the fact that N97's Arm11 434mhz has to process a much higher resolution 360x640 compared to a typical s60v3 phone with 369mhz and 240x320 resolution screen.
Plus symbian OS v9.4 os which is a memory hog (u get around 50mb free ram compared to around 90mb in previous) but probably has speed optimizations with how big performance gain is a bit sketchy.
And add those widgets which are running 24/7 ( although can be turned off) which are one of the main highlights which nokia proudly showcases.

Its pretty clear that the N97 is pushing its limits right from the start.

5800 runs the same resolution and still from v20 onwards it's pretty fast . I get 52 mb ram in fresh boot . I browse for 3-5 hours each day with opera mini + inbuilt browser all the time and it crashes very little . I little extra ram wouldn't hurt though but i doubt 99.99% of buyers will notice a difference .
Yes , 5800 cant play games with great graphics , but other than that i dont think it really needed better hardware. n97 is pushing the limit really but as long as it works well , i dont care what is inside she phone.

If anybody care about hardware , there is always samsung omnia hd with omap and graphics processor . But remember that this phone cant last through a full day with heavy uses . And i think thats a pretty big price to pay for mostly unnoticable performence gain.

Top Bottom