My Laptop is driving me CRAZZY...plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
Hey Guys,
I own Compaq V3424au (presario V3000 series) which i bought last August. Its configuration is:

Processor: AMD Turionn 64 Mobile 2.2Ghz
Memory: 487MB RAM DDR2
(these 2 are only required)

Now the problems:
1) Over Heating. Its really getting too hot and that too in just few hours. I mostly run it for 7hr-11hr daily but it starts heating up after 2hr.
Here is a screenshot of SpeedFan taken after 5hr of continuous work.
*img160.imageshack.us/img160/7632/speedfanmf5.png
What should i do?

2) When i start Turbo C++ (projects work) and starting working on it, the CPU fan speeds-up and the temperature starts rising much more quickly. After working for sometime (like 10min-15min)on TC++, the system Shutsdown on its own. I think its related to heating problem but again what to do?

3) I installed XP in June'08 and didn't reinstalled it since then. My OS was better back in June and now its speed is pathetic. It take 5sec-8sec to open a right-click menu, 10sec-15sec to open up the explorer. Application like Firefox3, photoshop, MS Office drive me crazy & offen crash. Whats wrong here?

4) When i try to standby or hibernate, my system freezes.

5) This happend with me only twice. I was using Firefox 3 and pidgin. In Firefox Cnet asia's website was open & i was watching a video review and suddendly everything freezed and my screen started showing lots n lots of random coloured geomatical figures, like those when some old-age dos game or app stops responding. I had to manually turn off the system and restart. That was more scary than BSOD and i suspect it could be my weak processor.

Thats all for now...hopefully.
Please suggest me some way out of this mess:sad:.
Thanks in advance...:)
PS: Don't ask me reduce the time i use my lappy, its nearly impossible.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^ First thing : Have u installed Pirated windows :D ..

Second : better format and install Vista as thats original or had come preloaded into ur system

Third choice : Install Ububtu linux on a sep partition and see if it works fine ?

OP
Abhishek Dwivedi

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
1) Its genuine XP from Compaq guys. :D
2) Vista's speed is pathetic and thats the reason i asked them to downgrade my lappy to XP.
3) Can't primarily shift to Ubuntu as dad is Windows-Guy and offen needs the lappy from me. :)

bikram_singhy

Broken In
do keep your laptop ob sofa, bed, or any table having Cloth as its covering,

my friends laptop also used to get over heated and solution was that he bought a small drawing board and use it when need to work on bed/sofa and otherwise uses table with no table cloth.

just remember Laptops needs well ventilation under their BASE.

AMD had drawback of getting overheated but you can send in for servicing to service center as it is under warranty. the FAN might need replacement.

bye

OP
Abhishek Dwivedi

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
i use ma lappy on a table but without any cloth and the Fan is mostly open to let the air move out without any problem...
and what goes for those OS problems?

Pat

Beyond Smart
A format and clean install would do wonders for you. Something else is a must too. Upgrade to at-least 1 GB. RAM prices are not too high these days and I am sure you can afford one.

OP
Abhishek Dwivedi

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
a format and an upgrade is what am thinking too but still i need to have a logical reason for these behaviors happening?

OP
Abhishek Dwivedi

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
Can you feel the warm air expelled by the fan?
yup...lots of hot air blowing out...but its never cools down...the temperature drops whn i dnt use any app and leave the system to do nothing but torrent download

am ready to reinstall the OS...but that wnt help the heating prblm and those freaking geometrical block...:(

ultimategpu

AMD & ATI FANBOY
Actually , this much about the heating issue , Notebooks are meant to be used as they needed ,, if u want any performance laptop ---> then u should go for the DELL,HP,SONY like laptop and better laptop cooling pad is advisable ...

If though nowadays everyone is going for laptop indeed ,, as the point is laptops are using a little amount of power supply were it cannot match with processor performance equal to desktop

In case of your problem , RE-INSTALL the OS then freshly install service pack 2 ,, then see ....

OP
Abhishek Dwivedi

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
the lappy is been awake since last 2hr and suddenly turned off when i was programming... the speedfan says this:
*img221.imageshack.us/img221/7039/magicalsnap200811060928jy8.png
if u want any performance laptop ---> then u should go for the DELL,HP,SONY like laptop
oye, its already HP...compaq n HP r same...
i can't go for a new lappy now...i need a solution for this heating prblm..:(

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
1. Even my Compaq laptop gets hot too soon after it's switched ON. If you have air conditioning in your room then keep it ON while you are working on your laptop. Or put the ceiling fan at top speed. Also take some breaks in between to let it cool down a bit.

Also since you are keeping it on a table, the fan does get partially blocked. So keep a thick book or magazine below the laptop without covering the fan. The book will raise the laptop over the table surface a bit more and the fan won't get blocked.

2. Turbo C++ really taxes the processor and it's usage goes up to 100%. You'll have to stop it once in a while to prevent overheating the processor.

3. Do a fresh install of Windows. You can also install Ubuntu in a dual boot. Your dad can use Windows while you can use Ubuntu. Also upgrade the RAM to atleast 1gb.

OP
Abhishek Dwivedi

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
1. AC or Fan is out of question, i'll die of cold.
2. The Fan is completely open to let the air move out without any blocking as the lappy is raised up.
3. The System shuts down in 15min of using TC++...15min is just too less.
4. Ok, am all set for a fresh install of XP-3 and Ubuntu.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I can suggest only 2 things,
Get more RAM
Get a Cooling pad either of Belkin or Coolermaster. Won't cost more than 2-2.5K.

antz.bin

Trying to find my feet...
there is somethin really wrong.. take it to service station....

my roomie's overheating HP was left with a burnt, out of warranty mobo with a 25k estimate... and now i have to lend mine for his gaming needs...

so.. go to service station first.. continue following thread from some other machine...

P.S.: try to use Dev Cpp instead of turbo c.. its easier on the CPU... so the CPU wont heat as much.

Last edited:

techking_dinesh

Digit Squad Member
lol
hp and compaq are same ??
they r same in respect to company just pepsi and fanta but their pin to aeroplane is totally different.

had it been same y would guyz go for hp laptops which r very costlier compared to compaq ??

well i personally hate compaq and I FEEL that Compaq in no way can giv competition to Hp Laptops

Defragment Your HDD
Reduce no. of startup apps
Use CCleaner to remove useless junk
Set system restore to use Minimum possible disk space.

ultimategpu

AMD & ATI FANBOY
1. AC or Fan is out of question, i'll die of cold.
2. The Fan is completely open to let the air move out without any blocking as the lappy is raised up.
3. The System shuts down in 15min of using TC++...15min is just too less.
4. Ok, am all set for a fresh install of XP-3 and Ubuntu.

Ok ,, really if the system shutdown after 15min means its only the Heating issues only ...
1--> cooling pad is must , such in this cases

2-->Your temperature shows that ur laptop is a microwave oven , i think u dont need get a new oven u can double the use of ur laptop

I dont know what to say dude for the laptop cooling , there is only one cooling solution for the laptop its LAPTOP COOLING PAD
if the lappy shutdowns for the C++ means godsake what to say ,, :(

TECH_MANAGER

Broken In
Hey, I have the exactly same model. and its overheating at idle with xp sp2. the reason it seems is the Nvidia chipset. will soon get a laptop cooling pad.
I dont think reinstalling OS or formatting will help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom