Musicians Corner V1: Cover Band Edition

axes2t2

I am a cat
The Cub 10 already has distortion and drive. Configurable by increasing the gain. There is no delay or reverb though, so you might want to get pedals for that but these are not mandatory effects. You really don't need extra overdrive or distortion pedals unless you are not getting enough drive from your amp or if you are looking for a very particular sound.
I will need an equalizer pedal atleast.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Get it if you need to. But first see if you really need it.

- - - Updated - - -

You might also need a pre-amp pedal in front of your EQ pedal since equalizing unboosted signal from your guitar is useless, there won't be any noticeable difference.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Just a quick update. Instead of using a discrete effects pedal, why not get a multi-effects pedal? It usually has all the effects, amp models and cab models that you'd need and it boosts your raw guitar signal by default. All you need to do is set your amp to clean and plug the pedal in.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Finished setting up my Floyd rose bridge.Took me 12 hours straight 3 pm to 3 am..Learned a lot like FR mechanism,String action,Intonation,setup,String Spring tension etc.If you like physics you ll definitely like setting it up.
Now its more playable ,just want to reduce more action but couldnt lose the sustain :/

axes2t2

I am a cat
Just a quick update. Instead of using a discrete effects pedal, why not get a multi-effects pedal? It usually has all the effects, amp models and cab models that you'd need and it boosts your raw guitar signal by default. All you need to do is set your amp to clean and plug the pedal in.

Will have a look into those multi effects.The same problem as amps.The products variety our stores have is not good.

Also the Laney is all tube,why would it need a pre amp pedal ?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Will have a look into those multi effects.The same problem as amps.The products variety our stores have is not good.

Also the Laney is all tube,why would it need a pre amp pedal ?

Because the tube amp has two different valves. A pre-amp valve and an output valve. Your guitar signal first gets pre-amp'd in the pre-amp valve and then goes through the effects (if the amp has those) and then goes through the output valve before getting played on the speaker. Therefore in short:

Guitar > [Pre-amp valve > EQ, effects, volume etc > output valve > Speaker].

Without Pre-amp pedal:

Guitar > EQ > [Pre-amp > effects, volume, etc > output valve > Speaker].

If the amp has effects loop, this problem gets mitigated in the following manner:

Guitar > [Pre-amp > FX loop out] > Pedal chain (EQ pedal will be somewhere in here) > [FX loop in > output valve > Speaker].

I think it would be better if you get an amp which has an onboard 3 band eq if you require it. Otherwise, get an overdrive pedal that has a 3 band eq on it.

axes2t2

I am a cat
Because the tube amp has two different valves. A pre-amp valve and an output valve. Your guitar signal first gets pre-amp'd in the pre-amp valve and then goes through the effects (if the amp has those) and then goes through the output valve before getting played on the speaker. Therefore in short:

Guitar > [Pre-amp valve > EQ, effects, volume etc > output valve > Speaker].

Without Pre-amp pedal:

Guitar > EQ > [Pre-amp > effects, volume, etc > output valve > Speaker].

If the amp has effects loop, this problem gets mitigated in the following manner:

Guitar > [Pre-amp > FX loop out] > Pedal chain (EQ pedal will be somewhere in here) > [FX loop in > output valve > Speaker].

I think it would be better if you get an amp which has an onboard 3 band eq if you require it. Otherwise, get an overdrive pedal that has a 3 band eq on it.

That will be mandatory :p

Cub 10 has pre amp tubes so I think it will work fine.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Still, I think that it would be better to get a drive pedal which has EQ instead of vanilla EQ pedal. Try it out better and see if the tone is to your liking.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Guys, anyone up for trying All The way 4U by Poets of the Fall ?

I have been practicing it for past few weeks.

All The Way 4 U Tab by Poets of the Fall @ Ultimate-Guitar.Co

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
I've been trying to record guitar via Digitech Rp255 through Cubase but I am having latency problems. Right now it shows 16ms with Asio4All. Can a dedicated soundcard make a difference?

Here's an attempt at Slipknot - Before I forget. Recorded 2 guitars seperately.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Will listen to it later, but you cannot completely eliminate latency (while recording). However, Cubase should have an option to compensate for latency (Audacity has it).

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Probably my favorite Slipknot song - Vermilion Part 1. Again a try with 2 guitars.
Slipknot - vermillion-1

One of the first songs I learnt to play - Evanescence - Everybody's Fool. I like the way this came out.
Evanescence-Everybody's Fool

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Probably my favorite Slipknot song - Vermilion Part 1. Again a try with 2 guitars.
Slipknot - vermillion-1

One of the first songs I learnt to play - Evanescence - Everybody's Fool. I like the way this came out.
Evanescence-Everybody's Fool

whats your guitar rig/recording chain like ?

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
whats your guitar rig/recording chain like ?

Guitar -> Digitech Rp255 processor -> (via usb) - > PC -> Asio4ALL -> Cubase (optional - only for recording) -> PC Speakers

At other times I have 2 inputs to RP 255.

PC -> DigitechRp255 (via aux line in)
Guitar -> Digitech Rp255 processor -> Speakers

There is no latency this way & cannot record but I have to unplug and replug the speaker wires (from PC to processor) everytime.

Btw your PRS is looking awesome some pages back. While playing what kind of difference do you see?

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Guitar -> Digitech Rp255 processor -> (via usb) - > PC -> Asio4ALL -> Cubase (optional - only for recording) -> PC Speakers

At other times I have 2 inputs to RP 255.

PC -> DigitechRp255 (via aux line in)
Guitar -> Digitech Rp255 processor -> Speakers

There is no latency this way & cannot record but I have to unplug and replug the speaker wires (from PC to processor) everytime.

Btw your PRS is looking awesome some pages back. While playing what kind of difference do you see?

Im kind of noob at this ... just started using Irig 2 IK Multimedia | iRig 2 - Guitar interface adapter for iPad, iPhone iPod touch, Android and Mac to simulate amp in the tonetack app in Ipad air 2.cleans seem to be fine but when i increase the gain it seems to distort a lot.Maybe im not patient enough to fiddle the settings as other people had great things to say about the app and the irig 2,but i already asked for a refund.zero latency issues(has a buffer size of upto 64).

Help with reducing I/O latency [Archive] - Cockos Confederated Forums

This guy is also has the same problem ,i think it might have to do with windows.Like somebody said try to reduce the buffer size.

I dont have a good amp to see how the prs sounds but i can get a variety of tones from the sim and the headphone amp.I guess modelling/simulation isnt for me(had aplan to buy the zoom g1xon processor ,dropped it cos of too much hassle)
so i am planning to buy new practice amp and some pedal

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl

zoom g1Xon is getting good love...its the cheapest one 49 $ and 69 $ with expression pedal
Amazon.com: Zoom G1Xon Guitar Effects Pedal with Expression Pedal: Musical Instrument

Also learned that you wont necessarily need an fx loop if you run you amp clean..

Top Bottom