Musicians Corner V1: Cover Band Edition

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Since there seem to be so many musicians in our midst, I thought it was a good idea to maintain a thread for us to upload pics of our instruments, songs, and have other discussions that non-musicians would find boring :)

Maybe we can start a virtual band later ;)

Nice initiative. :D

I'll start first. I play the keyboards having cleared Grade 8 in Trinity College of Music, London. 8 years now, I got a Yamaha PSR 550. Its old now, but highly reliable, plus I know it inside out. Add to it I have no plans to invest in a new keyboard due to college admissions, it looks like I'm stuck with it.

Can cover any keyboard solo (not Dream Theatre, Jordon Rudess is God) like CoB, Kalmah, etc. I can cover thrash too (Metallica, Megadeth, bit of Sodom)

Maybe I'll upload a vid of Tornado of Souls :)

However, my left hand is pretty weak, so I end up playing chords or at best, simple melodies with it. I have to work on it :( (any tips?)

OFF TOPIC - Permalink of TDF is *finally* SEO friendly :p

Last edited:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Guitarist here.

I have mentioned my gear in the metal/rock thread but let me show it off (though it's not worth showing off :|) again :-

Granada PRD4 Acoustic
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Marshall MG10CD
Boss DS 1 distortion
I use Dunlop Jazz III picks... love the stubbies!

Soon getting a Peavey Vypyr 30 or 75

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
I play very, very rarely and quite horribly.

What I have:

[Update - Bought on 29th July, 2010] Line 6 Pod X3 Live
*swarasutra.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/pod_x3_live.jpg

Slammer CT 212 Metallic Red - looks exactly like the one below, but red :)
*www.slammerguitars.com/img/guitars/CT21TB_lg.jpg

Yamaha Pacifica PAC012
*www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Images/Guitars/Product/Views/V3_EN_PAC012_BLACK.jpg

Beta Aivin MX 30
*www.beta-aivin.com/products/guitar/mx30_big.jpg

Marshall MG 15 CD AMP
*www.magdonmusic.com/amps/Marshall/images/product/mg15dfx.jpg

Korg ToneWorks AX100G
*www.activemusician.com/images/store/full/EM_AX100G.jpg

What I want (but can't afford):

JS 2400
*resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/ProductMainZoom/test/JS2400WH.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

you guys should also add images :)

Last edited:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
The JS and the GEM series by Ibanez are masterpieces but I am more into those 'metal' guitars. I so badly want a Xiphos and an Engl Savage 140 :(.

ancientrites

In the zone
mapex drum set standard 5 with mapex double bass pedal.I wish i would be like Jan Axel of mayhem.yeah i know only dreams can fulfill that sort of talent.

My SX SEG1 STD BK Left Handed. Exact model and color as in pic.

*www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/seg1stdlhbk1.jpg

My Acoustic Guitar can be seen in my profile pic :D

@Psychosocial: you got the DS-1 right ?

1) How do you find it for the death metal covers you play ?
2) How good is it for playing single notes with high distortion ?
3) I wanna get some tone like this: YouTube - Kirk Hammett shows riffs from Master Of Puppets does it come close ?

And yeah has anyone seen ProCo RAT's or atleast its clones (similar sounding stuff) in India ? Never seen it in any online store so far :(

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
@MetalHeadGautham :-

The SX looks like a sweet guitar dude! And to answer your questions :-
1) It's okay. It does not have the high-med-low or any other EQ settings so you can't get the crunchy low end sound of death or the scooped mid sound of thrash.
2) Again it's okay. It gets a little... umm... 'buzzy' but afterall, it's a budget distortion.
3) Well you might but good luck. I haven't come close to Kirk's tone.

Another thing is that the DS-1 is a battery monster and will burn through batteries in days. Right now, it's lying useless cause there's some fault in it. I am ordering the Digitech Death Metal Distortion in a couple o' days (best distortion <4k).

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Just started to learn violin. I also am intersted in learning guitar. Might do that through online videos. Please suggest an acoustic guitar for learning purpose under Rs. 5k. Thank you.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Just started to learn violin. I also am intersted in learning guitar. Might do that through online videos. Please suggest an acoustic guitar for learning purpose under Rs. 5k. Thank you.

Pick up any Yamaha model. They are all great! You might have to pay around 6k but they will be worth it. Other than that the Granada Dreadnoughts will be good.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Drummer here....
have my own band... mostly play hindi stuff(becuz of my bloody college)
and when it comes to music i like.... Post rock,Alternative Rock, Progressive Rock,Punk Rock,nu metal, hip hop

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
How are Kaps guitar? I saw this model Kaps FCP41 costing 4.9k and had digital tuner on the guitar itself. Any users? I need it for learning purpose so trying not to go above 5k.

@MetalHeadGautham :-

The SX looks like a sweet guitar dude! And to answer your questions :-
1) It's okay. It does not have the high-med-low or any other EQ settings so you can't get the crunchy low end sound of death or the scooped mid sound of thrash.
2) Again it's okay. It gets a little... umm... 'buzzy' but afterall, it's a budget distortion.
3) Well you might but good luck. I haven't come close to Kirk's tone.

Another thing is that the DS-1 is a battery monster and will burn through batteries in days. Right now, it's lying useless cause there's some fault in it. I am ordering the Digitech Death Metal Distortion in a couple o' days (best distortion <4k).
OK lets forget Kirk's distortion for a while. Just think of normal songs, where you replace power chords with single notes (but higher effects to compensate the sound).

Does DS-1 sound good for that ?

Oh yeah and btw instead of Digitech Death Metal Distortion consider going for Digitech 7-in-1 Distortion Pedal. 6.5k and has sounds of every popular pedal around.

PS: You interested in parting with the DS-1 if the pedal refuses to work ? I'm looking for a dead pedal to salvage a few electronics from...

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
@MetalheadGautham :- Well it's good in that way. You can get Smells Like Teen Spirit esque sound (well, the song was recorded with the pedal so ofcourse it will give the sound). It will do as a good budget pedal. And yes, the single note thing is possible. It can give you that high volume, distorted sound for playing single notes in place of power chords.

And my budget is only 4k, otherwise I would have got the Tubescreamer or The Digitech 7 in 1 :).

qwe1

Straight-edged
i power wank every night B-) surely i should be considered a musician now that even designers are labeled artists :mad:

show us some vids/audio clips guys!

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Gautham, you're a lefty? I've always wanted to get a lefty guitar, try and string it for a righty, and then see if i can duplicate some weird Hendrix sounds :)

Gautham, you're a lefty?

I'm sort of ambidextrous, preferring a different hand for each task :lol:

I've always wanted to get a lefty guitar, try and string it for a righty, and then see if i can duplicate some weird Hendrix sounds :)
For hendrix like sounds get a stratocaster and a big muff pi :D

BTW anyone here used an Ibanez Tone-Lok DS7 ? In the few video reviews online, it sounds in the steely metal meets big muff pi territory. But most of the videos were recorded under poor recording conditions. Anyway, @ 1.9K it seems to be the cheapest distortion pedal around.

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

@MetalheadGautham :- Well it's good in that way. You can get Smells Like Teen Spirit esque sound (well, the song was recorded with the pedal so ofcourse it will give the sound). It will do as a good budget pedal. And yes, the single note thing is possible. It can give you that high volume, distorted sound for playing single notes in place of power chords.

And my budget is only 4k, otherwise I would have got the Tubescreamer or The Digitech 7 in 1 :).
And it also does some decent dream theater riffs (not leads) right ? The tone in Pain Attack is the EXACT one I saw in BOSS's youtube channel DS-1 sound check.

BTW I think you can buy a 7-in-1 if you sell your DS-1 for 2k to 2.2K which I think is possible if its in good working condition.

And yeah you considered getting a DSP instead of an analog ? Like Zoom G1 ? Entry level DSPs cost 4k and some of them can be worked a bit to get pretty decent sounds.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
@MetalHead :- I haven't actually tried to get the Dream Theater tone or even tried to learn anything from them... so dunno :(.

And I am not selling my DS... It's completely dead so no-one would buy it anyways. And Multi-FX just aren't my thing... dunno why.

@MetalHead :- I haven't actually tried to get the Dream Theater tone or even tried to learn anything from them... so dunno :(.

And I am not selling my DS... It's completely dead so no-one would buy it anyways. And Multi-FX just aren't my thing... dunno why.
If you are going to stores to check out the sounds of various boxes, DO tell me how the sound checks go.

I'm dead confused what to buy and HOW MUCH TO SPEND seeing that I should even GET that kind of cash first. The amount of cash I get depends on a certain event in august/september...

look at my range of options:

1. Ibanez DS7 --> 1.9k price cheapest
  2. BOSS DS-1 --> most popular pedal in the world --> 2.6k
  3. Zoom G1N --> budget multi FX --> 3.65k
  4. Zoom G1XN --> budget Multi Effects with Expression Pedal --> 4.5k
and on top of all these possible market purchases, there is the big daddy offer from a friend of mine who went from guitars to bass so is selling off his processor for a really good price...

Used but well maintained Korg AX1500G --> market value 12K, selling for 6.5k

Trouble here is that the higher I spend on GuitarFX, lower becomes my budget for other purchases like an external HDD. So I'm looking for the most versatile and useful buy which I can't possibly throw away later (which is why a very popularly used pedal like DS-1 seems attractive).

Last edited:
Top Bottom