MS Windows to Linux, Rise of Desktop Linux world!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
gx_saurav said:
You don't know about MS providing cheap basic edition for Offices?

Please don't talk about those worthless stripped down versions!

gx_saurav said:
Tell me something, why do u need Vista home premium in an office or school? Do schools allow kids to play DirectX Games? Or does offices run HD Videos whole day?

Why do you need Vista at all in office or schools when they are not going to be running DX10 games or watch HD movies like you said! What's the point you are tryng to make?

gx_saurav said:
Linux is good if u want to run only one or 2 apps whole day. Add to it some music or browsing. Can't u already do the same in Vista Starter edition?

What is the misconception that you have about linux dude? Why do you say things like if you want to run one or 2 application whole day, it's better to use linux! Is this a joke? Do you understand that Linux is one of the only OS that is truly multicore(not just dual core) at heart? Do you understand the amount of multitasking that you can do? Have you even tried Openoffice 2.2? What's wrong with you dude? Why do you keep providing wrong information like only one or 2 applications will run all day on linux?

Besides, why wouldn't you want to implement linux in schools and offices? Answer this question and please don't answer it by saying that it doesn't make people aware of windows!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
here are the features of ur vista "starter" edition:

Much like Windows XP Starter Edition, this edition will be limited to emerging markets such as Brazil, Colombia, India, Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines, mainly to offer a legal alternative to using unauthorized copies. It will not be available in the United States, Canada, Europe, or Australia.It will have many significant limitations, such as only allowing a user to launch three applications with a user interface at once, not accepting incoming network connections, a physical memory limit of 256 MB, and will run only in 32-bit mode etc.
@din
hehe.. well thot of story.. and very relevant too! :D

@gx
temme wid only windows aren't their choices limited then?

edit: make it 1GB ram, 800x600 resolution, max 250gb hdd.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
gx_saurav said:
Like I asked u before, if you have a better way to protect the intellectuals property of the artist then plz come forward & give it to RIAA, MPAA so that they can tell MS to implement the new ones.

If U don't have any such method, then tell kids not to do piracy, cos after all, if they are software developers how will they feel when someone steals there software.

If U can't even tell the kids not to pirate softwares, then plz keep your mouth closed & stop spreading FUD about something which doesn't affect anyone in India.
Why do u get excited and opposes the reality?I thought of not reacting,but seriously grow up kid.DRM does means something too much restrictive!.

I always try to tell ppl reg Linux and many more than 20+ ppl & counting are already enjoying Ubuntu & Debian systems.many others dual boot.
infact they are amazed to know the philosophy behind it -Open Source!
*fsf.org
I educated many new to Linux,but most of the kids(teens) already knows what Linux is and except a few,most kids(teens) welcomed the Linux demo!
more embarassing for win community in a near by college is when they saw what Beryl meant for 3-D in Linux.:eek:.many people are excited meagrely more than a new Operating system.to use Linux for their daily use,what problemo?

piracy? :rolleyes: infact M$ is supporting piracy.now dont ask me how?cant they make a bullet proof WGA or whatever?they purposefully spread pirated windows for eg in China..marketing Fundas of cyborg.
Ohoo!
I think u better can sell Vista in ur school(or college?) or college and tell me how many are gonna buy Vista Ulti-mate for 10000+ :rolleyes:

ofcourse windows is needed for some few apps.i mean photoshop,autodesk s/w.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
don't wish to leave the discussion but i gotta go complete my assignment! :( i'll catch ye guys later...

ps: oh gx has left too.... :D

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
GX liked learning on those handicap systems at schools perhaps, which shows his state today .. .. >_>

Yeah well, I know am not being helpful but the truth is evident, no limits is always good.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@HiH this time il only comment on 1 thing ... vista isnt a failure its not doing as well as market analysts expected it to and os x sint a success its doing fairly better than its last versions and OSS well it just keeps changing every 6 months

iMav said:
@HiH this time il only comment on 1 thing ... vista isnt a failure its not doing as well as market analysts expected it to and os x sint a success its doing fairly better than its last versions and OSS well it just keeps changing every 6 months

Until and unless vista overcomes it's current problems, it's still a failure. :D

'Failure of Vista' is not a term coined by me. It's been repeatedly said by industry experts and interestingly few MVPs!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
Rs.3500 for XP ? agreed ? Now is that big or Rs.50 for a Lin CD which can be used till lot of scratches are made on it ?

Again, why r u comparing Retail version of XP in school? U do know that MS provides cheap edition for school in volume licensing.

Also, why do u care? Aren't many schools already using pirated Windows? So its free for them anyway.

Stripped down for what? Running tally? or running some banking software whole day? We are talking about Windows for one particular task here, in office, why do u need retail home premium for that?

Why do you need Vista at all in office or schools when they are not going to be running DX10 games or watch HD movies

To run the application they use, made for WIndows Platform

Why do you say things like if you want to run one or 2 application whole day, it's better to use linux Is this a joke? Do you understand that Linux is one of the only OS that is truly multicore(not just dual core) at heart? Do you understand the amount of multitasking that you can do? Have you even tried Openoffice 2.2? What's wrong with you dude? Why do you keep providing wrong information like only one or 2 applications will run all day on linux

Tell me how many application the nodes in your office run whole day. Do they run Core 2 duo in all the nodes? You are talking like u can't run MS office on Vista starter edition.

Besides, why wouldn't you want to implement linux in schools and offices? Answer this question and please don't answer it by saying that it doesn't make people aware of windows!

I m not saying not to implement Linux. I m just saying not to implement "only" Linux.

IRD said:
here are the features of ur vista "starter" edition:

Tell me an office in india which runs all computers C2D or other high end config. They are still running celerons for which starter edition is good enough.

Starter edition is indeed stripped & i myself hate the 3 apps & 800X600 thing, but think where it will be used. Do u need anything more then this in an office where all u run is one or 2 app whole day usually most of the time.

Prakash said:
DRM does means something too much restrictive!.

I know, so plz tell the artist, singers, movie producers a better way to stop piracy of there content & intellectual property. If you can't do that, then stop FUDing about DRM.

Help~Is~Here said:
Until and unless vista overcomes it's current problems, it's still a failure.

Until & unless Linux overcomes the marketing problems & standard unification problems, its still a failure in desktop home usage segment.

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
Again, why r u comparing Retail version of XP in school? U do know that MS provides cheap edition for school in volume licensing.

Also, why do u care? Aren't many schools already using pirated Windows? So its free for them anyway.

Already answered ! Cheap, thats Rs.50 per windows CD ? Can use it in any number of PCs ? Will it have everything a student need ?

Lin had it all and it cost Rs.50 or less

Schools are using pirated, lot of users are using pirated - Coz they do not get it *free* and they can't afford paying a lot of $$$$. Thats why all suggest, move to Lin / opensource where you need not pay a lot $$ and where you need not worry on piracy

gx_saurav said:
Stripped down for what? Running tally? or running some banking software whole day? We are talking about Windows for one particular task here, in office, why do u need retail home premium for that?
Exactly. Most offices will not run 100 apps like we do, so they can sure go for Lin - as suggested by you !! I mean you mentioned Lin can't handle more than 3 apps etc. They need not buy stripped win, instaed they can use un-stripped Lin

Hmm, I think stripping is only good in dance floors :D

gx_saurav said:
Starter edition is indeed stripped & i myself hate the 3 apps & 800X600 thing, but think where it will be used. Do u need anything more then this in an office where all u run is one or 2 app whole day usually most of the time.

Yes, you already answered it !! We do not need lot of things running in office and Lin will cater for offices. People need not buy stripped version at all.

gx_saurav said:
Until & unless Linux overcomes the marketing problems & standard unification problems, its still a failure in desktop home usage segment.

LOL, as infra-red-dude and all other reputed members mentioned, open your eyes, please go through the links posted by them, mainly the first post in this thread. Look how many people / countries / offices are moving to Lin. Do you think they are all crazy and stupid to move to Lin ?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
Yes, you already answered it !! We do not need lot of things running in office and Lin will cater for offices. People need not buy stripped version at all.
You forgot the most important thing. What will that office run? If the application they use is made Windows platform, then what?

So, u r telling that Mcdonalds should switch to Linux, then tell the company which made there billing software to make it again for Linux this time, & buy that billing software again.

I guess they will prefer sticking to Windows, whatever version they are using.

Look how many people / countries / offices are moving to Lin. Do you think they are all crazy and stupid to move to Lin ?
Tell granny to make a choice between Windows & Linux.

Offices are moving to lin cos that will cater them, if it doesn't they will stick with Windows.

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
You forgot the most important thing. What will that office run? If the application they use is made Windows platform, then what?

What if the office software is opensource or Lin compatable ? evenif the re-deelop everything in Lin and expand their business, they will save a lot. Just google for the amount LIC saved just coz they moved from Win to Lin.

gx_saurav said:
So, u r telling that Mcdonalds should switch to Linux, then tell the company which made there billing software to make it again for Linux this time, & buy that billing software again.

I guess they will prefer sticking to Windows, whatever version they are using.

LOl, I think I will give up !! Man, last time, please try to open your eyes. LIC moved to Lin. IRCTC moved to Lin. This is not only in India. All over the world people, companies and offices are moving to Lin and money is NOT the only thing.

gx_saurav said:
Tell granny to make a choice between Windows & Linux.

Great, nice point. I also agree. The best thing we can do is, ask old people as well as kids to move to Linux. The reason is they are new to computers and it will be easy for em not to be an MS addict ! Good point.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
kalpik said:
@gx: dude.. not even offices run on 800x600 nowdays!
Do you know KDE4 release is around the corner? They need bug testers and developers. You would do better spending your time there then wasting it on trying to chase something that refuses to budge.

OP
mediator

mediator

Technomancer
gx said:
But yeah, MS should indeed lower prices world wide, $150 for ultimate thre. Thats it...no other edition
At Novell's recently launched Vista/Linux comparison site, SLED costs only $50 compared to Vista Business's $299. Adding in Microsoft Office Professional 2007 for Windows Vista dumps another $499 on the Microsoft bill. When it comes to price, SLED for business appears to beat the tar out of Vista Business.
Source
So u see even if u reduce it to $150 then also, companies and users most probably wont go for MS recent/any/full fledged editions, coz the collective price difference between $50 and $150 wud be huge, not to mention how small companies in INDIA itself use freely available linux distroos like fedora to meet the requirements and work. Besides if u, by any chance, had read the 2 threads I created today, u wud know govts are trying to move away from proprietary systems as much as possible and windows hardly has any learning curve associated with it!!

Help-is-here said:
I fully agree!

din said:
LOl, I think I will give up !! Man, last time, please try to open your eyes. LIC moved to Lin. IRCTC moved to Lin. This is not only in India. All over the world people, companies and offices are moving to Lin and money is NOT the only thing.
Article! :oops:

I guess people in this lovely discussion forgot to read the other thread. *www.smileyhut.com/eat_drink/snack.gif

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
What if the office software is opensource or Lin compatable ?

Then it makes sence to switch to Linux :). Was I wrong when I said it all developes on what application the office is going to run.?
even if the re-deelop everything in Lin and expand their business, they will save a lot.

I don't know about this TCO of Linux, so better not talk.

Oh comon....just go & ask IRCTC & LIC the reason why they switched to Linux.

Answer - Saving the cost of an OS

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
Oh comon....just go & ask IRCTC & LIC the reason why they switched to Linux.
Answer - Saving the cost of an OS

Yes, plus they were in need of something that is more secure, reliable and better :)

Afterall LIC / IRCTC can't just go wrong ;)

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
Reliable & Better, questionable.

Yes, questionable for non-experts like Din and other people like him.

But

Unquestionable for all those great and expert people behind the move :) They knew what they were doing and they were not just playing with so much valuable data !

As I mentioned before LIC and IRCTC are not just like us, they can't go wrong with so much business and trust. They both implemented it only after a detailed study and analysis.

Would you please explain why the system implemented by LIC / IRCTC are not reliable and not better ? I am not sure, so if you have any more info on these, please enlighten me / us. From your post it sounds like you have some valid points against their move. Please explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom