MS Windows to Linux, Rise of Desktop Linux world!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
$150 per 'ultimate' ? hmm Thats Rs.6000

So for 100 Pcs in schools = Rs. 600,000

So much misconception....ever heard of Microsoft Volume licensing. Also, for teaching purpose MS already provides a basic edition of Vista which is tailor made for teaching. R U gonna teach students in school about how to play Doom 3?....ever heard of VIsta starter edition which is good enough for school.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
Why does IGNOU has UNIX in there BIT course, ever tried finding?
i'm ignorant about this. plz temme about it.

gx_saurav said:
If all u do on the computer is only one thing whole day then yeah, Linux is good enough.
this is not the ONLY reason to shift to linux. it is one of the reasons.

praka123

left this forum longback
Vista --where OS decides what ur gonna do!thx to revolutionary Digital Restrictions Management - *defectivebydesign.org
^I dont mind ppl using it.after all Microsoft is a "superior" *.* company.all rivals are #@@ like the say goes "we are the borg.resistance is futile,if u are our enemy/competitor,we'll buy you or FUD your business!"=a marketing genius.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
infra_red_dude said:
and as din said, schools and govt. offices are the right places to inculcate OSS awareness....

Not just OSS, but all the OS.

Why do u think that people will install retail version of Windows Vista ultimate in schools. MS already has several plans for such scenarios.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
So much misconception....ever heard of Microsoft Volume licensing. Also, for teaching purpose MS already provides a basic edition of Vista which is tailor made for teaching. R U gonna teach students in school about how to play Doom 3?....ever heard of VIsta starter edition which is good enough for school.
ask me, i've used all the so called cheap "student" and "stater" editions and its worser than the iphone (i thot u'd understand this analogy best! :D ), believe me. instead of teaching them on this i'd prefer that they teach them something which is fully functional (yes.. practically!)

din

Tribal Boy
I started using openoffice coz one of my friend whos the owner of a famous brand Ice Cream (not too tech guy) showed me how easy it is.

I started using Filezilla coz one of my clients whos a pop singer told me we can make multiple instance of filezilla.

Gimp was introduced to me by a Bank Employee.

Guy who showed me Debian text install was a medical rep.

People moving to Lin are not-all-geeks. Time has changed.

infra_red_dude said:
ask me, i've used all the so called cheap "student" and "stater" editions and its worser than the iphone (i thot u'd understand this analogy best! :D ), believe me. instead of teaching them on this i'd prefer that they teach them something which is fully functional (yes.. practically!)

If you are trying to prove to @gx that Linux or any other OS is an excellent alternative to Windows, then it's not going to happen, why?
Answer: *gxsaurav.spaces.live.com :D
gx_saurav said:
Arya (Macboy) : Apple is a bloody ruthless corporation, they have been extremely unfair.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
praka123 said:
Vista --where OS decides what ur gonna do!thx to revolutionary Digital Restrictions Management - *defectivebydesign.org

Like I asked u before, if you have a better way to protect the intellectuals property of the artist then plz come forward & give it to RIAA, MPAA so that they can tell MS to implement the new ones.

If U don't have any such method, then tell kids not to do piracy, cos after all, if they are software developers how will they feel when someone steals there software.

If U can't even tell the kids not to pirate softwares, then plz keep your mouth closed & stop spreading FUD about something which doesn't affect anyone in India.

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:

LOL, already answered. Yes, Rs.60000 is lil exaggerated, I know about volume licensing.

And yes, student edition, starter edition, stripped down versions - We all know why MS doing this ? And you also very well know it.

It is NOT coz they love students. Period !!

Its coz they wanna make kids addict of Windows so that they will use win only when they are in office, home. Then they will spend Rs.6000 and buy win (or atleast pirated ?) or MS will staill allow free / very cheap priceed Win ?

MS business strategies are too good, they know how to target people, thats why all these editions.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Help~Is~Here said:
If you are trying to prove to @gx that Linux is an excellent alternative to Windows, then it's not going to happen, why?
Answer: *gxsaurav.spaces.live.com :D

What does that means? I don't have money to pay for a website domain, also i don't have the time to make my own blog using themes available, or PHP coding. I chosed this simply because its that simple. Make one....use MS Word 2007 to post, thats it.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
Its coz they wanna make kids addict of Windows so that they will use win only when they are in office, home. Then they will spend Rs.6000 and buy win (or atleast pirated ?) or MS will staill allow free / very cheap priceed Win ?

You don't know about MS providing cheap basic edition for Offices?

Tell me something, why do u need Vista home premium in an office or school? Do schools allow kids to play DirectX Games? Or does offices run HD Videos whole day?

Linux is good if u want to run only one or 2 apps whole day. Add to it some music or browsing. Can't u already do the same in Vista Starter edition?

gx_saurav said:
What does that means? I don't have money to pay for a website domain, also i don't have the time to make my own blog using themes available, or PHP coding. I chosed this simply because its that simple. Make one....use MS Word 2007 to post, thats it.

This is where you missed the sarcasm..:D it was not about coding or time or money.. it was about the MS only content! and also hosted on live service!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
Linux is good if u want to run only one or 2 apps whole day. Add to it some music or browsing. Can't u already do the same in Vista Starter edition?
haf u used vista starter edition? plz use it first!!!!

the cheapest "usable" edition of windows is vista basic.... and it aint cheap too.

din

Tribal Boy
Sorry for goin off topic and repeating the same old bad joke.. but can't resist, serious readers, please ignore this post ...

Now, small story based on din / gx / mediator discussion lol. Very serious readers can skip this part and go to next post, as this is kinda childish.

din - I am a mason, I get Rs.150 a day, I go from a village to a city for the construction work, I need a transport slution, please help me.

gx - get a taxi man, full comfort, good interiors, cd player and may be A/ C too.

din - OK, OK, but cost ?

gx - only Rs.125

din - sir, I can't afford it, I get Rs.150 only

gx - hmm, lemme think. Ok, do one thing, you get a small car as taxi (stripped down ), it will cost you only Rs.100. there wil not be CD player, no A/C

mediator - man, go by bus, you have to spend Rs.10 ! And may be you can learn how the driver manage the journey

din - sir, now if the car / bus has any problem, how can i continue journey to city ?

gx, mediator - oh man, listen, there are people called repairing guys. They will come and repair it. you need not worry on that.

End of the story.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Help~Is~Here said:
it was about the MS only content! and also hosted on live service!

So? what about it? Apple provides a Mac only service based blog on .Mac service, u don't blame them?

What MS only content r u talking about?

I chosed live service, because it is free with hotmail account & I can post from Word 2007 directly & use many of the prebuilt themes. I m already looking for a HTML designer to make my own site which I have made in Photoshop, if u know someone who can do this for me, let me know. I will gladly switch to a site like gxsaurav.com

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
Tell me something, why do u need Vista home premium in an office or school? Do schools allow kids to play DirectX Games? Or does offices run HD Videos whole day?

Oh no, the stdents may never need vista at all

Ok, whats a decent Os form MS cost ?

Rs.3500 for XP ? agreed ? Now is that big or Rs.50 for a Lin CD which can be used till lot of scratches are made on it ?

I never meant to say kids should use the ultimate win OS. Why paying huge $$$ when they can learn the same things using opensource / Lin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom