MS Windows to Linux, Rise of Desktop Linux world!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
So, in a manner all you guys want is

1) Microsoft should release Windows for free

2) Microsoft should close the company pack the business, & then die

3) Microsoft should stop developing technologies for Windows which makes users experience better on Windows, such as DirectX, Windows Media Player, or Office 2007.

4) Microsoft should make IIS 7 & other such server things free

5) Microsoft should stop complying by the rules imposed by government bodies such as MPAA & RIAA, doing which might take away there license of running a company.

6) Microsoft should stop caring about the developers who work there.

7) They should stop caring about the full time research & development going on in Microsoft campus & release these technologies to all users world wide for free which takes millions of dollars to develop & research.

8 ) Linux should rule the world, even with slow rate of development. Keep in mind 70% of all Linux developers are hobbyist for Linux who work somewhere else too & work on Linux too.

9) Software developers should make & release software for free, killing there innovation so that there are 1000000000000000 versions of a Calculator.

10) They only way Microsoft & software developers should make money is by giving service by either phone or mail. That too at a very low rate of $10/ incident.

Well.....if you guys don't like the current Windows & Microsoft business strategy then plz come up with ways to make Windows better & to change the current business strategy of MS so that they can still make profit & run a business, while doing research & development.

If you can't do this, then you are a fanboy who just hates Microsoft & there product just for the sake of hating it, who has no idea how a software business is run. So plz stop whining.

din

Tribal Boy
Oh my dear gx_saurav

LOL, just couldn't control my laughter actually ROTFL :D

First - none of the points you mentioned above comes anywhere near the topic or discussion !!!

The discussion is all about people / companies / countries moving to Lin from Win and more and more find Lin a better solution - a lot of factors and of course money may be the first thing.

No one here asked MS to make things for FREE or ask developers to release their softwares for free. Afterall we all need money to survive.

The discussion mainly points to the present trend - Goverments, officials, politicians all started realising things. They know

1. An alternative is there !

2. It is sometimes better than the current one.

3. It is sometimes more reliable, better, secure and $$$ saving.

Linux can't replace win in a day. It may take sometime. The shift is slow, but sure

And above all, for India (infra_red_dude is not 100% right, but hes 200% right in this) the BEST thing is opensource.

Remember, not all get the Win for free. And not everyone want to go pirated too. So Lin stands for a $$ saving alternative. There are a lot of other reason too.

Supporting Lin or opensource is NOT fanboyism. The reason - You are not supporting a company blindly. Lin or opensource means a large group of people who want to help others.

Remember

Company - First aim - $$$$$$$$$

Community - First aim - help others

When we blindly support a company, yes, we are all fanboys, when we support our own community who really want to help others in many ways - we are not suitable for the name - fanboy ;) as simple as it is !!!

Infra, you better finish your assignment and come back soon else I will come to Blore rt now (lol, just kidding)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
Remember, not all get the Win for free.

They pirate & then use Windows.

And not everyone want to go pirated too.

They buy & then use Windows

So Lin stands for a $$ saving alternative.

For those who want an OS for free, & for whome time isn't money.

Supporting Lin or opensource is NOT fanboyism. The reason - You are not supporting a company blindly.

Aren't Linboys doing fanboysim already? What do u conclude from the post of HiH or devil himself? Isn't supporting one thing only without listening to other's story fanboyism. I have never said why companies should not switch, I just said why companies should stick to Windows.

Lin or opensource means a large group of people who want to help others.

So, does that means Windows community doesn't exist.? Or Windows community doesn't help other community members & people?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
vish786 said:
aint u one among them. :)

Nope..I M using Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate here on my 4 years old computer along with genuine office 2007 standerd edition + Outlook 2007

Before this I was using genuine Windows XP Professional edition OEM with Office 2003 students edition which can be installed on upto 2 computers + Outlook 2003

Before that Windows 2000 pro SP2 (then XP came) with Office XP pro (multiple license) which I got from my father's office.

Before that....I was computer-less :p

din

Tribal Boy
Oh no !!!

gx_saurav said:
For those who want an OS for free, & for whome time isn't money.

Ok, time = money for all businesses. LIC is a bad business ? IRCTC ? UTI Bank ? There are a lot offices / banks where they use OS (server/desktop) thats not Win and where time = money. It is not just money and it is not just they have a lot of time to fool around.

gx_saurav said:
So, does that means Windows community doesn't exist.? Or Windows community doesn't help other community members & people?

I never meant lin community or opensource community alone. All community support each other and it is good. But blindly supporting a corporation sounds fanboyism to me. Same if people argue Red Hat is the best thing or everything Red Hat does is good. They are fanboys. I may not be right, it is just my opnion, not a general one.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
gx_saurav said:

No. We want to choose what we want. Window , Linux , OS X , Solaris.

3) Microsoft should stop developing technologies for Windows which makes users experience better on Windows, such as DirectX, Windows Media Player, or Office 2007.

No. Microsoft does provide good software, they have all the rights to charge for what they have invested and developed. Its only the choice of the end user whether to use it or not.

5) Microsoft should stop complying by the rules imposed by government bodies such as MPAA & RIAA, doing which might take away there license of running a company.

7) They should stop caring about the full time research & development going on in Microsoft campus & release these technologies to all users world wide for free which takes millions of dollars to develop & research.

No again.

8 ) Linux should rule the world, even with slow rate of development. Keep in mind 70% of all Linux developers are hobbyist for Linux who work somewhere else too & work on Linux too.

I choose .NET as a hobby .. now its my career. Others choose linux as hobby and now its their career. Now Linux is my hobby and who knows it may be my future career.

9) Software developers should make & release software for free, killing there innovation so that there are 1000000000000000 versions of a Calculator.
Solaris 10 is free right? even they have invested millions in it. Sun simply choose to make it free. Its again the companys choice, if they want they will make it free else they will ask us to pay them to use their product.

10) They only way Microsoft & software developers should make money is by giving service by either phone or mail. That too at a very low rate of $10/ incident.

The softwares should be affordable.. thats all.

To wrap it up.... Its the choice that matters, not if its free or paid. If I like a paid product which does my job better than the free one then I will pay for it. Same goes the other way also. If a free software does what I need then there is no point going for a paid one.

All the companies/schools/colleges not startup guys who dont know anything about computer at all. They have used windows and all other software. They did like the product or it was not working out for them .. so they are looking at other options ( CHOICE ) .

din

Tribal Boy
vish786 said:
aint u one among them. :)

Vish, four types of people here

1. Got Win for free (full version, student ver etc) - officially

2. Got win pirated

3. Got win from others, like form office, from relatives etc

4. People spent their money to buy Win

Not all people use pirated CDs. There are genuine users.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
But blindly supporting a corporation sounds fanboyism to me. Same if people argue Red Hat is the best thing or everything Red Hat does is good. They are fanboys. I may not be right, it is just my opnion, not a general one.

In the same context should I say that blindly supporting Linux is also fanboyism (such as prakash or HiH)

No. We want to choose what we want. Window , Linux , OS X , Solaris.

Is Microsoft stopping you from making your own choice & using OS of your choice on your computer?

Its only the choice of the end user whether to use it or not.

You now know the Golden truth of computing. I hope now u will leave fanboyism.

Solaris 10 is free right? even they have invested millions in it. Sun simply choose to make it free.

AFAIK, Solaris 10 is linux, right?

The softwares should be affordable.. thats all.

Yup, good. Plz provide MS this feedback

All the companies/schools/colleges not startup guys who dont know anything about computer at all. They have used windows and all other software. They did like the product or it was not working out for them .. so they are looking at other options

Yup, they are. Also advice others to have a look. But why call Microsoft Evil if it is complying by the rules of goverment to include DRM support in an OS.?

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
In the same context should I say that blindly supporting Linux is also fanboyism (such as prakash or HiH)

You posted it first and I was giving my definition. I didn't name anyone and do not want to name anyone either. It is very clear aftarall.

Well, leave al these, will go back to discussion.

My bro-in-law just came back form school (hes a high school teacher) and said they are giving equal importance to win / lin in school. That sounds like a good idea.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
gx_saurav said:
You now know the Golden truth of computing. I hope now u will leave fanboyism.
:confused: :confused: :confused: me a fanboy? I am a fanboy of what? Pls tell me how you call me a fanboy :confused:

AFAIK, Solaris 10 is linux, right?
Nope its based on Unix. It was closed source till solaris 10 was launched.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Charan said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: me a fanboy? I am a fanboy of what? Pls tell me how you call me a fanboy :confused:
Woops, I confused u with devil_himself

Nope its based on Unix. It was closed source till solaris 10 was launched.

What is the overall server market share of Solaris 10? It could be a business tactics that by making it free more users will jump to it for there server needs, & then pay for the support cos Solaris is not Windows due to which they will sure need to learn & make goof ups.

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
It could be a business tactics that by making it free more users will jump to it for there server needs, & then pay for the support cos Solaris is not Windows due to which they will sure need to learn & make goof ups.

Very similar to MS isn't it ? ! They make the starter editions / stripped down / education versions etc and for final version a good amount of $$$$.

Oh, well all corporates !

gx_saurav said:

Dude, ok, if we both are supporting linux blindly, then what about all the other people supporting linux? Dude, if you have a personal problem with both of us, keep it personal, you don't need to come out here and flame telling that we are fanboys and supporting linux blindly, we know what we are talking about. After all, we are elder to you and we make more mature decisions and like I've been saying from the very begenning gx, learn to 'respect', that's one thing you seriously need to work on.

First of all, we are not supporting a 'company' or a specific 'product', we are supporting a community and there is no fanboyism involved in supporting a community! Why are you trying to make us all fanboys and yourself as the most intellingent one? What's wrong with you gx?

And what is this?
gx_saurav said:
I know & this is the only reason I say MS is wrong with starter edition

First you keep arguing that Starter editions are the best for schools and offices and it has everything at a low price, then you admit that it is a mistake? huh? :confused:

gx_saurav said:
Until & unless Linux overcomes the marketing problems & standard unification problems, its still a failure in desktop home usage segment.

Linux is never a failure, because they don't market things that you don't get. In linux, 'What you see it what you get!'(WYSIWYG)
Nobody expects anything from linux, so it will never fail, because it always 'underpromises and overdelivers!' Now, once you grow up and start working with companies, then you will come to know how important the difference is between 'underpromising and overdelivering' and 'overpromising and underdelivering'. Vista is a failure because MS simply overpomised and the product without any doubt underdelivered! Don't keep arguing on this, because if you do, I'll have to shame you by binging evidence from MS developers and MVPs who confess on this! So don't bother.

@gx, no one on this thread started saying that windows is crap till you started defending it like a fanboy! The main point of this thread is the no. of people who are realizing the fact that there are things better than 'windows'

We are not saying that MS is a looser and doesn't know how to make money, all we are saying is that OSS softwares like Linux and the soon to be released OSS Solaris are way more attractive, reliable, stable, better and economical than Windows! Get that fact into your brain! And stop being a winfanatic by telling things like it's not better, for you it might not be, but there are a million people who have realized that it's better than windows for them!

@gx, I guess I told you this long back, 'What you think is best is not best of everyone else'! Because of the simple fact that the way you do computing is not how everyone else in the world does computing, perhaps you need to read that 'fanboy' thread that was featured in magazine to understand this point once again!

Whether you like it or not gx, millions of people are finding OSS like Linux way better than Windows, and they are moving to it, now if you still think that Windows is better and that it's always going to better than anything, keep using it, but please don't keep arguing and try to push your thought down everyone else's throat just because you think it's better, understand that everyone has different needs and everyones computing experience is unique!

And for the love of god, stop calling linux users Fanboys and Windows users intellingent!:cool:

Last edited:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
@ gx_saurav,

as HiH said, No one here said "Windows is cr@p OS.". It means, no one is opposing Windows !!! (mind this please)

Now, the thing we all are trying to convey you is that There is a BETTER ALTERNATIVE to windows which can save lot of $$$ and is more Secure.
So, u can go for that !!!

And can u please check this, what the term fanboyism means !!
Fanboy is a term used to describe an individual (usually male, though the feminine version fangirl may be used for females) who is utterly devoted to a single fannish subject, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession. Fanboys remain loyal to their particular obsession, disregarding any factors that differ from their point of view.

NOW, tell who is FANBOY !!! :D

shirish_nagar said:
@ gx_saurav,

as HiH said, No one here said "Windows is cr@p OS.". It means, no one is opposing Windows !!! (mind this please)

Now, the thing we all are trying to convey you is that There is a BETTER ALTERNATIVE to windows which can save lot of $$$ and is more Secure.
So, u can go for that !!!

And can u please check this, what the term fanboyism means !!

NOW, tell who is FANBOY !!! :D

He's opened his own new thread DEFENDING windows to prove that he is not a fanboy!! lol... :D :D

When I put the truth on his face on that thread.. he reported it saying it has nothing to do with the thread.. :D lol... We all know who's the Fanboy now!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hey guys i'm back! :)

oooooooooooooooooh.... the thread has become serpentine long! :D

gx_saurav said:
So, in a manner all you guys want is

reply to ur 1..2..3..4..5..6..7...8.......................................1000000000000000000th point... USE FOSS where it can be used!

Don't upgrade PCs in govt. offices if its not necessary and ONLY for the sake of running a newer version of windows. use a system which is more reliable than windows in atms (yes din, i jus returned back from a corporation bank atm which was down due to windows BSOD!!!! bloody fools!). you haf a choice.. don't chose crippled versions of software!

save $$$$ by moving to FOSS wherever its feasible, coz after all its OUR money paid as taxes which is used up to BUY new hardware and WINDOWS! in the end we see an atm down due to bsod!!! umph.... :mad:

ps: btw, GX all the points u've pointed out are either false, absurd or cooked up and don't make any sense. if you've read thru these 4 pages then even a non-tech person can infer what discussion is going on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom