Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Few movies I watched this week are:

Yoru No Pikunikku [Night Time Picnic] (Japanese) - Its one of the best you can get from Japan (yes most of the Japanese movies are crap). Some good tracks you will enjoy (mix of english and Japanese). Story is a good concept, I kinda wish that we have such night time picnic of 80Kms. Its really cool to see how one reveals himself/herself when there is nothing more than walking 80Kms with school friends. There are moments of comedy which will surely make you giggle. One interesting twist at the end, which may leave you wanting for another part. Avoids some cliches which movies generally unintentionally fall into. Watch to experience something new, albeit I was not satisfied with the ending, there are some questions that are still left unanswered. Hope a second part will come.

One cool band I just discovered from this movie is Monkey Majik. Its an English guy who sings Japanese and English combo. Music is like what you hear from Jack Johnson but IMO a bit better than him. Listen to the songs Long Shot Penny, Akari, I Mis You and Futari on youtube. I just love this band now. Hope to get whole discography. :D

Rock On!! (Bollywood) - First thing, its an OKish movie. What makes it more appealing is that there are not many good movies to compete (I think I have to watch A Wednesday) and the charisma with rock band is on high in India. Soundtrack is not what I classify as rock but a beat down version of it. Some funny untimely guitar riffs too..lolz...wonder what were they thinking but I was giggling while watching it. Only piece I liked was the slow song (Tumhari Meri Baatein) sung by some lady when the band starts rehearsal after reunion, almost every beat was perfect and modest.

Dandia scene was the only awesome part !

The most likable character is the lead guitarist, he kinda reflects the very good nature which you don't find now in others. Other characters were just fine, could have been better with gradual char development. Good acting is something which I missed too. But then its a fair one among other crap releasing everyday.

Les Poupees Russes [The Russian Dolls] (French) - Must say its an intelligent comedy. Of course, what that means is you wont be laughing your guts off for short burst of moments but a wicked grin on your face throughout the movie. Its similar to 101 Reykjavik, not in story but that both have the protagonist as losers (not really losers). The mild music that kinda drives me crazy when it comes to the chemistry between male protagonist and Wendy is just priceless. It looks like someone ripped my future into a movie...lolz. But yeah you may find it boring if you dont feel like understanding expressions and reading subbies.

Last edited:

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Story is a good concept, I kinda wish that we have such night time picnic of 80Kms. Its really cool to see how one reveals himself/herself when there is nothing more than walking 80Kms with school friends.

This reminds me of Before Sunset. The couple walks on the streets of paris talking to each other. Thats all its about. And the result is awesome!

Only piece I liked was the slow song (Tumhari Meri Baatein) sung by some lady when the band starts rehearsal after reunion, almost every beat was perfect and modest.

Dandia scene was the only awesome part !

This was exactly what I thought after watching the movie. I got the soundtrack just for that song. After listening to it I also started like the Ye Jindagi song sung at the end.

Gone Baby Gone - Watched it during Oscar fever. Liked it but didn't find it very extraordinary.

Zodiac- I am another DF fan. But Zodiac didn't impress me much. Maybe it was the pace of the movie. I still don'tunderstand why to movie is so highly rated. Panic Room is just about ok. You can give it a skip.

Next on my list is Frontier(s), My girl and I

Has anybody seen The Hamiltons? Slow paced horror but very interesting.

Would just like to remind about Tarsem Singh's(Director of The Cell) The Fall which is another awesome movie, in case you feel like watching something different.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Just watched 3-iron (Bin Jip) - It ranks second in my list of Kim Ki Duk movies. Simply superb, I havent seen such a blend of minimal dialogs, surreal script. A must watch for everyone. There is a metaphysical aspect too. You can even watch it without subtitles and don't even miss the lack of dialogs :p Thanks to a_medico for recommending it in this thread (I kinda hav vague memory of that)

The Arabic spiritual music (Gafsa by Natacha Atlas) is another added attraction :)

Am off to watching some recent works by him. Already seen "Spring,Summer,Fall,Winter and Spring", Bad Guy, Samaritan Girl and Seom.

@a_medico
But its not like Before Sunset in that there is no talk between the two leads, yup you come to know a lot about other friends and characters. Great character development throughout the movie. But a bit dissatisfied at the end. I was thinking something and it came out something else. And bear in mind that its Japanese cinema ;p

Last edited:

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
DF is even one of my fav directors as well.....I have seen all of his movies (though he has directed only few) after Se7evm, fight club and Zodiac.........left are
Panic Room and the awsome The Game and Finally Aliens 3.

I'd suggest go for The Game another DF tribute movie......

I've watched all his movies but Aliens 3. Only Panic Room was OKish......rest all were awesome!!!

Zodiac- I am another DF fan. But Zodiac didn't impress me much. Maybe it was the pace of the movie. I still don'tunderstand why to movie is so highly rated.

Characters are not great, they are ordinary people with lots of minor and major problems in their daily life. The killer also is not a Big Bad-man. Still this is a Powerful movie. I mean how a director can make such a great movie with those materials?

The film was not a usual Hollywood serial killer movie, with slashes and murders every 10 minutes.!!!It was rather a Case study presented to the viewers!!!Not to mention this film was highly accurate...All hail to David Fincher!!! Can't wait for THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON!!!
Brad Pitt + David Fincher = Awesomeness * 10000

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I just checked the story & it doesn't seem connected to The Hills have Eyes in any form.Infact I have seen both Hills Have Eyes 1 & 2 & neither of them seem to have any resemblance with this movie's storyline.

gloria8608

Right off the assembly line
I'm not so much into horror movies but a friend "convinced" me to watch that one. After one and a half hours I knew exactly why I don't like horror movies. :)

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (sequel) - One of the best romances onscreen and also one of my all-time favourites.

Probably DDLJ got inspired by this, nevertheless watch it back to back, with well, maybe a little time gap inbetween to let the characters sink into your thoughts.

Top Bottom