Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Dangal 8/10

Since "chak de..." a fine a technically brilliant sports movie from Bollywood.
Check out for sure.

IMO, 20 minute short and this could have been sent for Oscar instead of "Dhoni"

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 6/10

Saw this book at Dubai airport last year. It was just released and Goodreads had not rated it good. Skipped buying and then found last month that a movie is coming on it.
Took a short-cut of watching this movie. Tim Burtom seems to be the obvious choice for its direction. Good CGI but so-so story.

Movie seems to have scope for a sequel. Let's see.

Storks 6/10

Usual feel good animation based on an one-line concept.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Kubo and the Two Strings : A jewel of a movie. Must watch.

Finding Dory : Takes the same winning elements that made Finding Nemo a hit. But it is not repetitive by any means. Everything is fresh. A blast to watch.

Pete's Dragon : Simple feel good movie.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^watch it. Watch it in the theatre, like book kal ka tickets right now.
You do not need to have watched any prior star wars movies to enjoy this one, but if you have consumed every single star wars property so far, you will find plenty of fan service.
The story stands on its own, for doing something incredibly brave and realistic. It is an entertaining formula film that does not shirk away from reality when it comes to showing the consequences of the cool action sequences. There are plenty. You will be at the edge of your seats. There are shout outs to previous star wars offerings, but at the same time, there are shout outs to mcu, dceu, sherlock, hp, and gotg that I have to mention seperately from mcu. Interstellar and gravity if you consider the camerawork as well, apart from story and dialogues. The good guys are bad, the bad guys are trying their best.
Valar Morghulis
when you watch a sci fi film, or an action movie, or a superhero movie, there is this immediate disconnect with reality, a gap that every single one of these movies try to bridge. This one does it casually and effortlessly. It has that wachowskian immediacy and relevance, despite the special fx and epic stages. This movie plays with emotions in the same way as brainfck movies play with the intellect.
It is original. It is fresh. It is retrofuturistic. It is beautiful, evocative, haunting. It is more meta than deadpool because it is a rogue one.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
The Wailing 8/10

Very seldom there comes a movie with an original idea. This is even more rare in horror genre.
Since The Cure I found this one fulfilling the void in proper sense.
Starts slow but I can't really term any scene unnecessary even after its slow pace.

An original idea, accompanied with brilliant acting just wins over everything.

Both were terrifying.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
^watch it. Watch it in the theatre, like book kal ka tickets right now.
You do not need to have watched any prior star wars movies to enjoy this one, but if you have consumed every single star wars property so far, you will find plenty of fan service.
The story stands on its own, for doing something incredibly brave and realistic. It is an entertaining formula film that does not shirk away from reality when it comes to showing the consequences of the cool action sequences. There are plenty. You will be at the edge of your seats. There are shout outs to previous star wars offerings, but at the same time, there are shout outs to mcu, dceu, sherlock, hp, and gotg that I have to mention seperately from mcu. Interstellar and gravity if you consider the camerawork as well, apart from story and dialogues. The good guys are bad, the bad guys are trying their best.
Valar Morghulis
when you watch a sci fi film, or an action movie, or a superhero movie, there is this immediate disconnect with reality, a gap that every single one of these movies try to bridge. This one does it casually and effortlessly. It has that wachowskian immediacy and relevance, despite the special fx and epic stages. This movie plays with emotions in the same way as brainfck movies play with the intellect.
It is original. It is fresh. It is retrofuturistic. It is beautiful, evocative, haunting. It is more meta than deadpool because it is a rogue one.

long time no post

TheFallenLord

Journeyman
The Witch - 2015 7.3/10
I thought it was one of the better modern horror movies. No jump scares, great setting and mood.
On the downside, the ending is a bit anti-climatic.
I needed subtitles because they speak in a Shakespeare kind old English.
The goat was creepy as hell.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Demolition - 7.8/10 - Seen so many movies this week but this one is another worth mentioning. I wish I had seen it before. Strange and perfect.

Take Shelter - 7.5/10 - Setting and buildup is ominous yet not preposterous. I really liked the whole story and acting.

I am starting to like Drama genre more.

Try this...

The Cat (2011)

Bedevilled (2010)

Watched Bedevilled already. One of the very best revenge movie.

quan chi

mortal kombat
The wailing
Thanks to all those who recommended it. Its a must watch film for any horror fans. Good movie with equally good acting,direction & cinematography. The best thing in this movie till climax is it will keep you guessing.

Top Bottom