Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

quagmire

Allllright !
Coherence (2013) - 9/10

Well written and great execution with the limited resources the film makers had. I hadn't expected much, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Highly recommended!

Important note for those who plan on watching it, dont Google it or read the summary on IMDB or RT, it will mess up the director's narration of the film.
As many people here follow this rule for suspense/mystery movies, the only thing you must about them is their name, just ahem 'get' it and watch it. Never read anything about it.. :p

icebags

Technomancer
Taken 1 alone is revenge.
Taken 2 & 3 just rides on the fame of Taken 1 with false revenge story. :/

some more come to mind, but not all of them are brutal 1:1 type, some are rather comic. revenge is there, but may be on a softer note .

gladiator
dead man's shoes
Kuro-obi (2007) - IMDb
ong bak series.
django unchained
furry vengeance
Ichimei (2011) - IMDb also the 1962 one.
hero (2002)
the man from nowhere
the crow
oldboy 2003
the patriot 2000

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
John Wick ....... BAD ASS one word ........ this is what I was expecting from The Equalizer, the comparison is straight, both have a bad ass guy, with whom the bad guys screws with and get themselves wiped out. But JW stands tall and and far better.

JW despite of no plot what so ever, no character development, no drama, no humour, still delivers the full punch. It ACTION from word go, action and action, infact the entire movie is like a long action scene.............. and boy oh boy!!!!!.... the coolest stylish action scenes I have seen for a long time .... It has one of the top gripping, fast, precise, hard hitting and meticulously choreographed, brilliant action sequences of all time ...

The action scene in the night club might remain the all time best in the point n shoot gun battle, if I may put it that way ......will have you grasping your fists because of the sheer intensity of it.
Truly satisfying .....

Performance wise, well who ever says that Reeves has a blank expression might be right but this is exactly what was needed in this movie, the blank, cool, fearless expression with terror in the eyes nicely played with the entire feel the movie had.
Kenue Reeves Just rocked through out the movie ....

This movie deserves a 7.5/10 just for the brilliant action sequences .....

We have to agree to disagree on this movie and I disagree with every good point you have mentioned here.

ashs1

Padawan
The maze runner - 6/10
Average plot, decent cgi, average actors.. What makes it watchable is the pace of the movie.. It keeps you on edge, thus making it watchable..

sankar

Broken In
John Wick 5.9/10

I just failed to understand what the hype was for?! Pretty average revenge movie, lacked drama thus you fail to connect to the pain of the protagonist and that fails to evoke a feeling of relief after each kill.

All the fuss was over a dog.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Just because I saw the contradicting opinions, here is my assessment of John Wick.

6/10 - Restrained direction. Not brutal enough in execution. And the reason for revenge was plausible but not convincing. Few scenes were drawn out to accentuate the effect but that only proved to be more cliched. Use of music was not fitting to the mood of movie. Do I feel sympathy for the main character? No. Pretty much forgettable watch.

As a revenge flick there are far better entries to watch.

Top Bottom