Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
For some good stuff, here's an action movie I saw recently that's not that widely known. I thought it was quite a good watch.

The Boondock Saints (1999)

harsh1387

Broken In
Jack Ryan : Shadow Recruit.
Another movie with a CIA operations and saving US plot. Good one time watch. Could have been better.
Rating- 3/5

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
My preordered dvd of Drishyam arrived today and me and my family watched the movie. I can say only one word- Mindblowing. This is one of the best movies i have ever watched. The suspense, the tension is comparable to any great English movie or even better. Bollywood should learn a thing or two from movies like these. 9/10

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Killshot

Nothing to like in this movie except the appearance of Mickey Rourke! And the crazy role played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

5.5/10

a_medico

Chillum Baba
1920 is a movie which I liked too!
Once one of my friends told me he & his friend went to see this movie. In the theater there were hardly 10-15 people who were scattered all around. After the interval all were sitting next to each other.:lol:

At first I thought he was exaggerating but later when I saw the movie I understood he was not.:D
This movie is not heavily inspired by any particular movie. But like rhitwick said some scenes were taken from various movies like the exorcist (bhatt favourite.:D), haunting etc etc.

Even Raaz is good movie you may try it if you liked 1920.

1920 was indeed creepy. I thought it was heavily inspired by Emily Rose. Spooky, nonetheless.

The Lunchbox - Lovely movie. Superb direction. Though the tiffin concept was new, the letter concept has been tried in few movies before. I dont think the concept is very original.

Dhoom 3 - I though the direction and look of the movie was sleek and I quite liked it. But then it is a masala movie copied from many. The most idiotic was Amir's transformer bike. Never knew Aamir khan has breasts.

Queen - Not sure I wrote about it before. But I quite liked the movie as most of you must have too. Still, I thought there were tinges of English Vinglish and The Spanish Apartment / Russian Dolls.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Queen
I would like to thank all those members who have recommended this movie. I really liked this movie. Some of you guys should have put a review of this movie in the review thread. Vikas bahl's direction was good indeed. Every actor in this movie was convincing in their roles. Still something was missing from this movie maybe a bit more sightseeing. If I have to compare I would say it is better than Highway.
Why don't movies like queen break Box office records..In India crap movies(krishh 3,Dhoom 3,CE,Salman khans) break records while good movies go away un noticed.
Well I don't know if this is correct but the report (given on some pages) says this movie almost did business near to 100 crores. Therefore we can say It did well at the box office!

Dhoom 3 - I though the direction and look of the movie was sleek and I quite liked it. But then it is a masala movie copied from many. The most idiotic was Amir's transformer bike. Never knew Aamir khan has breasts.
For me the movie is really bad except for one or two good scenes/drama there is NOTHING more but nonsense. The long boring chase sequences in the (almost) empty streets (booked for shooting) is the worst part. The only good thing in this movie is its cinematography.

Last edited:

Allu Azad

Time Ruins Everything
Entire movie is just a bunch of people talking. And their conversation makes me feel intelligent cause for most parts, I know what they are talking about.

This movie is not for everyone I guess. Only nerds like us can appreciate it.

Err.. I am not a nerd. But I enjoy movies.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I think people just like to label themselves nerds cuz nerd is the new cool. Maddox will explain better below.

*thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=youre_not_a_nerd

Best quote - "If you have to tell people you're a nerd, chances are you're not. Nerds don't have to advertise their status. We know. Being a nerd is a byproduct of losing yourself in what you do, often at the expense of friends, family and hygiene. Until or unless you've paid your dues, you haven't earned the right—or reason—to call yourself a nerd. Being a nerd isn't graceful or glorious. It's a life born out of obsessive dedication to a craft, discipline or collecting some stupid **** that only you care about"

ajayritik

Technomancer
My preordered dvd of Drishyam arrived today and me and my family watched the movie. I can say only one word- Mindblowing. This is one of the best movies i have ever watched. The suspense, the tension is comparable to any great English movie or even better. Bollywood should learn a thing or two from movies like these. 9/10

By learning do you mean taking the rights to make the movie in Hindi?

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
By learning do you mean taking the rights to make the movie in Hindi?

That will surely happen :p . It is already being remade in Kannada. That version will be good. The hindi version will be predictably awful with cliched dialogues, scenes and stereotypical good looking actor and actresses without much ability to act :p

ajayritik

Technomancer
Why don't movies like queen break Box office records..In India crap movies(krishh 3,Dhoom 3,CE,Salman khans) break records while good movies go away un noticed.
One thing we need to understand is that apart from Multiplex it's the movies running in Single screen which generate lot of money and most of these people are not necessarily from educated class, so all they want is entertainment. They don't want subtle movies and unless there is some kind of entertainment I don't think even movies with message work. Do you think movies like Stanley ka Dabba or Aankhon Dekhi and maybe even Lunchbox will have repeated viewing in single screen movie.

Kindly don't generalise that just because some movies which are not upto mark if they become hits that implies most of the people in India make those movies hits.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Best quote - "If you have to tell people you're a nerd, chances are you're not. Nerds don't have to advertise their status. We know. Being a nerd is a byproduct of losing yourself in what you do, often at the expense of friends, family and hygiene. Until or unless you've paid your dues, you haven't earned the right—or reason—to call yourself a nerd. Being a nerd isn't graceful or glorious. It's a life born out of obsessive dedication to a craft, discipline or collecting some stupid **** that only you care about"
Is it from a movie? Vaguely remember this quote... but not sure. :)

That will surely happen :p . It is already being remade in Kannada. That version will be good. The hindi version will be predictably awful with cliched dialogues, scenes and stereotypical good looking actor and actresses without much ability to act :p
You seem like you watch many regional language movies? :)

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
3 Days to Kill -5.5/10

Man on Fire - 7.4/10
( too much i dont know what editing ruined the mood a bit) Denzel is great as usual, is this the one kidnapper-must-die movie some Hindi movie got inspired from? I don't recall the name, it had Amitabh Bachhan in it.

Top Bottom