Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Any one here watched and liked the movie - "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" ?? Its rated pretty high on imdb (7.8/10)

I watched it yesterday & I didn't like it at all & would rate it quite low. I am curious if any one here enjoys this movie.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Any one here watched and liked the movie - "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" ?? Its rated pretty high on imdb (7.8/10)

I watched it yesterday & I didn't like it at all & would rate it quite low. I am curious if any one here enjoys this movie.

depends on the taste of the watcher,like most spoof movies get very low rating, but I enjoy it a lot, pure brainless fun :D

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Spoof movie !! Are you sure you've not confused it with something else. "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is surely not a spoof movie.

sorry, edited that post.. I was referring that one should not depend on IMDB rating, its purely person taste.

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
sorry, edited that post.. I was referring that one should not depend on IMDB rating, its purely person taste.

Thanks for answering. Yeah sure I know not to depend on imdb rating & its a personal taste. But most of the times when I don't like a highly rated movie, I can tell why others might have liked it.

But this movie was so odd, probably more different than most of movies I've seen, I get the fact that some people may enjoy this movie, but I still like to know if there's any among that audience here on a forum where probably the number of people doing drugs are low.

It's a movie about high drug usage but unlike "Requiem for a Dream" or "Candy" where I can understand the characters feelings and problems even though I've never done drugs myself, here I don't really get it.
That said, I' still like to know if anyone here watched and liked the movie - "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" ??

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Is it from a movie? Vaguely remember this quote... but not sure. :)

You seem like you watch many regional language movies? :)

I watch too many movies :p. At one point ,one has to expand his repertoire to other region/international cinema cuz the usual hollywood fare gets too much predictable. Also having star actors in every movie doesn't bolster the story. I have watched and loved spanish/argentinian/french/german/korean/telugu/malayalam cinema :D . As i read somewhere these emerging movie markets don't have too much lust for money or fame. Hence they can concentrate on producing good cinema.

And the nerd quote is not from any movie. It is pure original Maddox. For those who don't know him, he is the king of sarcasm and comedy. He has had a very successful website (below) where he trashes everything on this planet and in doing so, totally exposes human stupidity and ego.

*maddox.xmission.com/

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for answering. Yeah sure I know not to depend on imdb rating & its a personal taste. But most of the times when I don't like a highly rated movie, I can tell why others might have liked it.

But this movie was so odd, probably more different than most of movies I've seen, I get the fact that some people may enjoy this movie, but I still like to know if there's any among that audience here on a forum where probably the number of people doing drugs are low.

It's a movie about high drug usage but unlike "Requiem for a Dream" or "Candy" where I can understand the characters feelings and problems even though I've never done drugs myself, here I don't really get it.
That said, I' still like to know if anyone here watched and liked the movie - "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" ??

Havent watched it, but sometimes a movie's theme is too melancholic and dark to appreciate. While i liked Leto's and Mccouaghney's acting in Dallas buyer's club, the movie as a whole was very emotionally draining and i was waiting for it to end in the later half.

Inceptionist

Journeyman
One thing we need to understand is that apart from Multiplex it's the movies running in Single screen which generate lot of money and most of these people are not necessarily from educated class, so all they want is entertainment. They don't want subtle movies and unless there is some kind of entertainment I don't think even movies with message work. Do you think movies like Stanley ka Dabba or Aankhon Dekhi and maybe even Lunchbox will have repeated viewing in single screen movie.

Kindly don't generalise that just because some movies which are not upto mark if they become hits that implies most of the people in India make those movies hits.

Are you saying that educated people don't enjoy movies of Sallubhai and Akki? You are also implying that people from rich or well-to-do families prefer Stanley ka Dabba or Aankhon Dekhi over Krrish, Dabang or Dhoom?

Multiplexes offer higher prices of tickets per person, especially on weekends. I've seen families of 4 buying tickets worth Rs 1500 or above. How many single screen tickets needs to be sold for the same amount?

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Watched Exam (2009) 7.5/10 ,Pretty cool Thriller I would say , Couldn't guess the ending .
This felt like a Zombie-like Apocalypse Prequel :D

ajayritik

Technomancer
Are you saying that educated people don't enjoy movies of Sallubhai and Akki? You are also implying that people from rich or well-to-do families prefer Stanley ka Dabba or Aankhon Dekhi over Krrish, Dabang or Dhoom?

Multiplexes offer higher prices of tickets per person, especially on weekends. I've seen families of 4 buying tickets worth Rs 1500 or above. How many single screen tickets needs to be sold for the same amount?

A small correction there is quite a number of people who watch in Multiplexes and prefer the movies you mentioned i.e. Sallu, some SRK and some Aamir khan movies. Infact I remember watching Housefull2 in a multiplex and I saw people enjoying the movie so much they were in splits for some dumb jokes. No wonder that movie ended up being a hit.

Also when you say rich and well to do these can imply people who are necessarily having lots of money and well settled it need not be people who are educated. By Education I mean atleast a graduate. I see some people coming to Multiplex and enjoying some crass jokes whistling for that.

Also one more point recently a movie called Manjunath released which is based on the killing of an honest officer by the Sand Mafia, that movie has not released in any single screen here in Hyderabad. It's been released only in multiplexes.

Anyways if you have more thoughts to share what you mean by rich or well to do families we can take this further.

y2karthik

Broken In
Drishyam(Malayalam) - 9/10
Awesome movie with suspense till the end,very good acting from the overall cast esp Mohanlal.Bollywood should learn something from this and stop making shitty movies.
Highly recommended.
P.S:National award committee didn't even bother to see this movie,should have given a award for Mohanlal.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Drishyam(Malayalam) - 9/10
Awesome movie with suspense till the end,very good acting from the overall cast esp Mohanlal.Bollywood should learn something from this and stop making shitty movies.
Highly recommended.
P.S:National award committee didn't even bother to see this movie,should have given a award for Mohanlal.

Got the DVD on Sunday, haven't seen it yet. Gotta watch it this weekend, I don't understand Malayalam much, only a few words here and there :p , will watch it with subs.

Inceptionist

Journeyman
A small correction there is quite a number of people who watch in Multiplexes and prefer the movies you mentioned i.e. Sallu, some SRK and some Aamir khan movies. Infact I remember watching Housefull2 in a multiplex and I saw people enjoying the movie so much they were in splits for some dumb jokes. No wonder that movie ended up being a hit.

Also when you say rich and well to do these can imply people who are necessarily having lots of money and well settled it need not be people who are educated. By Education I mean atleast a graduate. I see some people coming to Multiplex and enjoying some crass jokes whistling for that.

Also one more point recently a movie called Manjunath released which is based on the killing of an honest officer by the Sand Mafia, that movie has not released in any single screen here in Hyderabad. It's been released only in multiplexes.

Anyways if you have more thoughts to share what you mean by rich or well to do families we can take this further.

I just want to say that a person can enjoy genuinely good movies regardless of his education and income.

Same applies for genuinely bad movies.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Drishyam 6/10

First of all this is not an original story and obviously not written by Jeethu!

The story is lifted from the famous novel "Devotion of suspect X" by Keigo Higashino
I've read the book one year back and loved it very much. Jeethu didn't care to give any credit to him (and also put a touch of "Blue Streak" at the climax)

Second, there exist a movie adapted from the same book namely "Suspect X" which also I've seen and rated 6!

Third, a new movie is in development from the same book!

Ah, enough information for you all.

Mohanlal did good and rest of the cast too.

The story took 30 odd minutes to start and at that time I started wondering if I'm watching the correct movie. Pace was good but they toned down the main twists and the "Bingo!" moment was revealed too early too easy.

Still, one time watch for sure.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Going for Godzilla tonight, check online and our near by theater is fully empty YAY :D :bananana:
I might have to change my underwear after watching Godzilla in a empty theater :s , When I saw the trailer I was very intimidated .

amjath

Human Spambot
Going for Godzilla tonight, check online and our near by theater is fully empty YAY :D :bananana:
I might have to change my underwear after watching Godzilla in a empty theater :s , When I saw the trailer I was very intimidated .

Internet got popped up with IMAX 3D experience of this movie

- - - Updated - - -

Bryan Cranston looks epic on trailer

Top Bottom