Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
^^
He volunteered to die so as to break the space time anomaly. Pretty neat IMO.

At first I was sure about it too but the guy in IMDB included tangent universe and primary universe in his post and reading that I'm confused.

What he did and why is clear...but if u follow the explanation mentioned in the link, how he did it, is not clear to me...

Phas Gaye Re Obama 8/10
Another gem of 2010.

A comedy movie with a script (which is very rare now-a-days).

Plot Summary: NRI OM Shastri is broke after recession hits USA, going to loose his home very soon if he doesn't come up with enough money to save it. He visits India to sell of his old "haveli" but finds all his relatives now stay there. He is now in a dilemma how he could make the deal, in between local goons come to know that an NRI has returned to the village and kidnaps him. The movie starts here.

Directing: The movie is directed in a very smart way, no unnecessary scenes, no songs (oh, that's a breather) and a nice crisp and fresh presentation.

Editing: The editor did a superb job here. I can not point out a single scene which is stretched unnecessarily or slows down the pace of the movie. For a movie like this pace is very important which keeps the audience engaged and keeps them guessing whats gonna be next.

Acting: I liked acting of Mannu Rishi in "Oye Lucky..." and he shines again here. Rajat Kapoor, I would say, had not had much acting scope. He did what the script wanted him to do...i.e.go with the flow. But, I would admit Neha Dhupia's effort, she is becoming an unavoidable choice for such small budget movies. And her acting skills are mentionable now. AND, SANJAY MISHRA as BHAISAAB is nothing but superb...each scene he is on screen is a LOL moment. Kudos to him. Amol Gupte also did a good job too. So, it seems I've praised all who acted in the movie...hmmm...

Cinematography: Not much scope to show u scenic beauty of the place but the camera shows u what u need to see. No unnecessary closeup, no try to invent a new camera angle...the camera work goes with movie tone...telling a simple story in a simple way and keeping the focus on story.

Verdict: A very good black comedy. Expect an intelligent story with a predictable ending (only if u r movie buff and I mean it when I say "movie buff"). Don't expect a laugh-out-loud movie like Khichdi (none can surpass it, ever) but, ya if u want to include brain and still want to make people laugh, u can only go this far as did "Phas gaye re obama". A must watch for sure.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
At first I was sure about it too but the guy in IMDB included tangent universe and primary universe in his post and reading that I'm confused.

What he did and why is clear...but if u follow the explanation mentioned in the link, how he did it, is not clear to me...
I will read that but I have my own theory too. Gonna re-watch movie and bolster the points.

Verdict: A very good black comedy. Expect an intelligent story with a predictable ending (only if u r movie buff and I mean it when I say "movie buff"). Don't expect a laugh-out-loud movie like Khichdi (none can surpass it, ever) but, ya if u want to include brain and still want to make people laugh, u can only go this far as did "Phas gaye re obama". A must watch for sure.
Kar toh hum bhi sakte hai :razz:
In my watch list.

ajai5777

Youngling
Going The Distance - 5.5/10
Watched it because of Drew Barrymore and Justin Long but it was just another bottle of old wine.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
How come Javier Bardem nominated in best actor category? The film is also nominated for Best Foreign Film.

When is band baaja baarat dvd expected?

any good comedy movie recommendation?
anyone?

Four Lions all the way. Strictly with subtitles. And you enjoy it the most when you watch it second time.

This movie reminds me of Fight Club. Every dialogue is a legend. Twitter for #fourlions. People are going crazy over it.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Eyes Without a Face (1960) - IMDb 6.5/10

The movie started well and then ended abruptly. The moment it seems to be settling down and finished with building characters it ended.

Highly disappointed.

Checkout though for a diff. movie.

ajai5777

Youngling
The Book Of Eli - 6/10
The movie had its moments and the post apocalyptic world looked good but I didnt like the concept.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
The Road - depressing stuff. The basement scene and what happens at that night was horrifying to imagine the least.

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
ANAND everyone...watched it again yesterday...Nice..
I don't know if someone mentioned it before but here are movies I recommend..random order
Forest Gump - 9.5/10
Saving Private Ryan - 9/10
Shawshank Redemption - 9/10
Godfather I and II(don't bother with III) - 9/10
LOTR series - 8.5/10
Batman series by cristopher Nolan(begins and dark knight) - 9.5/10
The Prestige - 9/10
Inception - 9/10
The Notebook ( for those who love romantic movies) - 9/10
Apollo 13 - 9/10
The Social Network - 8/10
Death at a funeral(British version) - 8/10
Fight Club(not the Bollywood one) - 9/10
My Sister's Keeper - 7.5/10
Seven Pounds - 8/10
Pursuit of Happyness - 9/10
Remember the TITANS - 9/10
Erin Brockovitch - 9/10

These are some of the many awesome movies out there...Every movie had something awesome in it for me...

Top Bottom