Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Avatar - What an experience! Wish I'd seen it in 3D but DVD was decent anyway. Loved Neytiri? Sounds more like Gayatri. The movie is so well ahead of its time!

P.S. - What did I miss by not watching it in 3D?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
P.S. - What did I miss by not watching it in 3D?
A lot. The whole experience of exploring Pandora from a very close range. The details of that planet and experiencing the action as if you were a part of it. It's hard to express with words, but watching it really makes a difference.

Krow

Crowman
lolwut? 10/10 for Stalker :p
Visually stunning and engaging script. Did u watch that glass moving at the end...telekinesis...wink...wink.
Yeah I saw that, one of my favourite scenes from the movie. :)

@Krow, take my bow man...u not only survived "Pi" but understood it too (on next meeting make me understand it, plz)... then plz watch these "The Oxford Murderers" and "Bee Season" :-D
Thanks for the recommendations, I will watch them and also explain my understanding of Pi. :)

The Crow: 12/10. Of course it is a biased review. :D :mrgreen:

Very engaging story and good execution. Also, the crow is actually a raven. :D This is also mentioned in the lead character's name: Eric Draven. :p

Metropolis: 9/10. Another of those awesome anime movies which are slow-paced, but delve into a deep scientific discussion. Other movies similar (somewhat) are Ghost in the Shell (anime) and Blade Runner (non-anime).

These days I find myself unable to watch anything but anime/sci-fi. Its a wonder I saw The Crow. :D

azzu

AJJU
Snatch
Great Movie Everyone was awesome
so was the Humour ,,How come these guys make simple words so funny ?
aweome ending...
Guy Ritchie simply brilliant direction.. MUST WATCH
8/10
thx Vamci anna for Recommending this movie

a_medico

Chillum Baba
@medico, if you ask me, considering the 3D in India, you missed nothing. I just bought the BluRay for AVATAR and watched it on my HT (check out my review for AVATAR BR HERE)

And believe me the experience was far far satisfying than the crappy 3D in cinema. AVATAR 3D was not ment for Indian cinemas. If you can arrange watch it on a BR on a min 42" LCD with proper 5.1 audio, you will be blown away....

visual clearity in this movie is STUNNING.....no match, and Audio is no more less. The scene where the marines blow off the tree, the LFE shook my whole bed (and kept on with the effect in the entire battle sequence), it was thunderous. When jake takes that first flight on his choosen bird (or whatever) A/V extravaganza is on it bliss. The wings flapping is put on LFE and that gives a whole new experience to the scene.........the zapping of arrows and bullets are right on the spot, explosions are all earth shaking with center channel never leaving its power..........FAR FAR FAR better than that crappy 3D I saw in the Cinema Hall

Hmmm...I enjoyed it with Bluray and headphones on my laptop. Thing is, I can't enjoy these movies on my Bravia as there is too much of family member's disturbance and I prefer pin-drop silence while watching a movie which I get only in my room at 1am.

But I definitely plan to watch it again on my TV. Should be fun. And maybe 'Hindi mein' so even my mom could watch lolll..

3D thing could be subjective I guess. Some theaters must be better equipped than others. I heard Wadala in Mumbai was good.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
3D thing could be subjective I guess. Some theaters must be better equipped than others. I heard Wadala in Mumbai was good.
IMAX experience is totally awesome, from what I have heard. But this movie beckons to be watched on a big screen, and no I don't mean a LCD TV or Home Projection screen, but a full blown theatre screen. The reason being, one of the finer details can be easily noticed on it. The 3D effect possibly bring the images that much closer to you, so you can experience everything from up close. You can virtually feel the dirt being thrown right in your face when Jake gets his avatar and starts running through the area. The best part has to be when he is with Neytiri in the forest. It looks unbelievable in 3D and you just can't help but try to raise your hands towards those glowing creatures.

Fortunately, I had an extremely good experience in 3D. May be because it's my second brush with a 3D movie (with my first one being a virtual disaster). People who might have seen/experienced better quality 3D movies abroad may find a great deal of difference. Regardless, it's a movie which was envisioned my Cameron to be viewed in a particular way and that's how it should be. Watching on small screens just won't do any justice to it. Movies like these are very rare, so if you have any IMAX theatre still screening it, then go for it. Believe me, you won't regret it.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Valentine's Day - Average romantic comedy. Some of the performances were really wasted and it didn't really make sense to have such a huge star cast.

Where the Money is - I saw this on SET MAX and it was quite good. Interesting plot and executed properly as well. Good performance by Paul Newman & Linda Fiorentino. Worth a watch for sure.

Stir Crazy - Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor get their act together again. This time they end up in a prison for a bank robbery that they didn't commit. Again their combination works brilliantly. I love Pryor's role on every occasion, he is very spontaneous. This movie was hilarious. Now I guess the only one remaining to watch is Silver Streak.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Transporter 2,transporter 3.

transporter 1 was quite good.but 2 is total disaster.3 just fits betwwen the 2 and 3 not good not bad either.but still 1st was better than both.

infact i put 2 in this thread because for the first one only.otherwise it should go to must not watch thread.
where as 3 is a mixture of both.gets quite cheesy at some places.

nevertheless had the story of transporter3 been used in making of a game then i think it would have faired better than this movie.

Techn0crat

RPG FTW!!!
@medico, if you ask me, considering the 3D in India, you missed nothing. I just bought the BluRay for AVATAR and watched it on my HT (check out my review for AVATAR BR HERE)

And believe me the experience was far far satisfying than the crappy 3D in cinema. AVATAR 3D was not ment for Indian cinemas. If you can arrange watch it on a BR on a min 42" LCD with proper 5.1 audio, you will be blown away....

visual clearity in this movie is STUNNING.....no match, and Audio is no more less. The scene where the marines blow off the tree, the LFE shook my whole bed (and kept on with the effect in the entire battle sequence), it was thunderous. When jake takes that first flight on his choosen bird (or whatever) A/V extravaganza is on it bliss. The wings flapping is put on LFE and that gives a whole new experience to the scene.........the zapping of arrows and bullets are right on the spot, explosions are all earth shaking with center channel never leaving its power..........FAR FAR FAR better than that crappy 3D I saw in the Cinema Hall

Well buddy,I say you have missed something if you haven't seen Avatar in IMAX 3D.I watched it twice in IMAX Mumbai,and it was amazing experience.& I am still ready to watch it again but if somebody is gonna pay for it because now I am saving money to watch Inception in IMAX

Top Bottom