Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Krow

Crowman
Finally saw District 9 and I am left speechless. Fantastic movie and rated it a full 10/10. Brilliant piece of cinema. Fresh script, realistic approach, nice acting, outstanding make up job and well directed. I must say I never expected this much from the movie. Thought it would be yet another alien-human rebelling movie, but I was wrong. I must admit, start was a bit slow, but it really picked up after half an hour. What I immensely liked and appreciated about this movie was it's make up job. It was very refreshing to see them using traditional make up effects rather than going all out with CGI. A must watch for everyone.

Hehe... D9 club is growing day by day. :)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
amen to that and hey you did not say anything on what I comented on D9 anyway as u said outstanding flick.

waiting for AVATAR eagerly and 2010
Good to have to back buddy. Actually I was so pumped after watching the movie, that I just hunted for this thread to post my comment and just hit the reply button without checking any prior comments. :-D

I have to agree with the Wikus-alien communication part though. It was pretty confusing how he was able to understand the aliens blabber and vice versa. I also forgot to mention the soundtrack which was really good. Especially during the finale part.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Finally watched District 9. I can only tell one word about his movie.."......". Really brilliant approach by the director towards the racial discrimination in SouthAfrica and to the entire world. Easily one of the best movies a human eye can watch. Thanks for the members who indirectly forced me to watch this movie by posting reviews.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26636

watched district 9 today. one word : AWESOME!!!!my vocbulary is too limited to describe how good this movie is...guess whatever i watch now will seem bland compared to this.

trigger

Journeyman
The Gods must be Crazy (1/2) - 9.5
Okay, I just finished watching the two parts. I would say, this one is the most hilarious flick, I have ever seen. Both parts were the complete laughter riot incomparable to other comedy movies. No doubt, dames were quite interesting as well - another reason to watch these movies again & again ;)

I noticed... :razz:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
District 9

U guys just literally forced me to watch this movie and let me confess...believing u guys I've not done a mistake. (in thakur style, "tum logo ko bharosa karke maine koi galati nahi ki") ;-)

Awesome!!!
A totally new angle to sci-fi. Sci-fi never ever looked so believable. That damn Michael Bay should learn to putr some stories in between his special effects from this movie.

+The movie
+The story depiction style. Its kinda documentary style. Well, I'll admit its this style which makes you more closer to the characters.
+Acting. Wikus FTW!!! I came to know its his debut:shock: Its his movie. None else or the Alien (can CGI be given an award)
+The story. More realistically handled. No-time u will feel its something thats not related to u. It actually makes u ponder upon something. Thats its USP. A sci-fi which forces u to think rather makes u dream
+CGI. This is totally new level set for CGI. No extravaganza, no Michael Bay destruction, just plain vanilla on-demand but state-of-the-art CGI. Kudos to the programmers.

--Communication mystery between aliens and Wikus. Already mentioned. Well, may be he being assosiated in that field for long was able to understand the lingo (but not that convincing logic, na?)
--The story depicting style. Documentary but sometimes it lost its frame. U r showing only footages from spy cams, hidden cams, reporter cams then how do u show footages inside spaceships. Well, I'm just nitpicking, but a film like this should be more careful.

--*********** spoiler alert*************
Ending. The alien was supposed to take all its fellow mates from earth. But he left alone! Am I missing something? AFAI remember, he once mentioned more ships required to take them back (or am I imagining this conversation myself)
*********** spoiler end ***********

Well, at first I was not interested in this movie by seeing its trailers. They just are not that attractive, seems common with those AVP, Aliens, Species movies. But, thax to u guys, I have watched it now.

Rating 9/10 (1 deducted only for those three negative points I could find)

Highly recommended to everyone. Watch in cinemas please.

D9 for OSCARS anyone??

INS-ANI

In the zone
Saw German Movie "StalinGrad"
Its a nice watch, truly portraying how pukd up were german soldiers in that war.

Rating 7/10

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
BTW no comments on the D9 explanation

Ummm...Sam, if think closely u'll get tons of loopholes (I'm moved by the movie so much that I'm going over it in my mind time to time. BUT, the theme human+alien is so beautifully handled, the loopholes are forgivable)

****** Possible spoiler ******
On ur part, if he can't take the whole community with him, why not Wikus only. Anyway He's gonna turn to complete alien in three years.
And, if the ship can fly with 2 creatures why not three.
And, what will Wikus do staying back here. If his character was killed at the end, that would mean something. But it seems unfinished to me. (a part II ??)
May be the director thought, showing him turned into a complete alien, wandering in garbage helplessly would create sympathy for the character. It works too.
But, as u consider the whole movie, it doesn't match.

****** End of Possible spoiler ******

a_medico

Chillum Baba
One more addition to D9 fan club. A little late though.

All the positives are already mentioned. I also liked the subtle humor at the beginning. eg. To everyone’s surprise, the ship didn’t come to a stop over Manhattan or Washington or Chicago, but instead coasted to a halt directly over the city of Johannesburg.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I also liked the subtle humor at the beginning. eg. To everyone’s surprise, the ship didn’t come to a stop over Manhattan or Washington or Chicago, but instead coasted to a halt directly over the city of Johannesburg.
Yeah. That was like a friendly jab to the traditional Alien movies that are made in America.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Came across a link to an earlier short film, on which D9 is based here. Movie called Alive in Joburg. It's on youtube: *www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ1vHRs_EOs

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
SIKANDAR - 8/10

Very good film about Kashmir..Short story but yet powerful..Do watch

Also listen to beautiful song "Gulon main rang bhare [KK version]" ..You know whr to srch ;)

Top Bottom