Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Quentin Tarantino's Top 10 Films of 2013 - SO FAR - The Quentin Tarantino Archives

1. Afternoon Delight (Jill Soloway)
2. Before Midnight (Richard Linklater)
3. Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen)
4. The Conjuring (James Wan)
5. Drinking Buddies (Joe Swanberg)
6. Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach)
7. Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)
8. Kick Ass 2 (Jeff Wadlow)
9. The Lone Ranger (Gore Verbinski)
10. This Is The End (Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Watched "Chander Pahar" today. Full review would be posted in "Movie review thread". In this thread I'll try to answer the doubts I had raised prior releasing this movie.
New trailer of "Chander Pahar"

First time in my life...eagerly waiting for the release of a bengali movie!!!

~~~Trailer snipped~~~

This weekend finished reading the novel on which this movie is made. I had read in my childhood but had forgotten most of it.

Book name: Chander Pahar
Author: Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay
Genre: Adventure
Specially mentioned: Written on 1937. The author never visited Africa for the story. The descriptions are either his imagination or result of research. This book is read by mostly all bengali either by curiosity or as a story mentioned in school syllabus.
This movie is a dream come true for most of us, its really exciting to see our childhood fantasies coming alive in front of us.

Few challenge areas that I want to see how the makers had handled:-
1>Language: In book the author describes everything in bengali but his characters talk in english. For movie they have to show the conversation. Full english and we get a 'Kites' like future...none would watch it. Full bengali....again a foreigner speaking bengali would not fit.
Exactly what I feared. Alvarez was made to speak bengali. I know the its not easy to get out of trap but a good dubbing agent could have solved this. His high accented bengali was even worse. May be a english only conversation with bengali subs....as Dhoom 3 did.

2>Cinematography: The way the author described in book, each of us had dreamed an Africa. The director has to match our imagination. Again a very good cinematographer could change everything for this movie. This movie has the chance to become our "Motorcycle diaries"
Full marks. The vast canvas had been captured beautifully. You have to see it to believe it.

3>Budget: They have only 15cr as budget. But this movie should require at least 60-70 cr. First segment that could get hit by this low budget is the VFX. Then is scenes of various exotic and key locations mentioned in the book.
At 15 crore you should not expect a better VFX than this. The only weak part of the movie is the VFX. Still good try.

4>Narration: The book has stories of three main persons. Alvarez, Alvarez's partner and Sankar. Each of their stories are very vividly mentioned in the book but screentime could be a challenge to show them all. Again, miss anyone and a very important part is omitted.
Very cleverly managed. either by voice-over or by jump shots all the stories are covered. Still cinema can't be as vivid as a book (until you are Peter Jackson and you have billions of dollars to spend)

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Watched "Chander Pahar" today. Full review would be posted in "Movie review thread". In this thread I'll try to answer the doubts I had raised prior releasing this movie.

Exactly what I feared. Alvarez was made to speak bengali. I know the its not easy to get out of trap but a good dubbing agent could have solved this. His high accented bengali was even worse. May be a english only conversation with bengali subs....as Dhoom 3 did.

Full marks. The vast canvas had been captured beautifully. You have to see it to believe it.

At 15 crore you should not expect a better VFX than this. The only weak part of the movie is the VFX. Still good try.

Very cleverly managed. either by voice-over or by jump shots all the stories are covered. Still cinema can't be as vivid as a book (until you are Peter Jackson and you have billions of dollars to spend)

it released??? :hyper:

R2K

In the Zone
The family (2013)
Loved it. I especially liked the part where at first they all seem to be normal but starts to show their psychotic side from very next day :D
Are there any other movie with similar plot

abhidev

Human Spambot
The family (2013)
Loved it. I especially liked the part where at first they all seem to be normal but starts to show their psychotic side from very next day :D
Are there any other movie with similar plot

Meet the parents

Bird cage

Top Bottom