Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

ssb1551

Technomancer
@ pratik385 - Recollected today morning the name of the movie : Taeguki a.k.a Brotherhood of War. This was the name I was trying to recollect yesterday but in vain!! Luckily did click me today morning!!:)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Felicia's Journey 7.5/10

Movie plot as per IMDB,
A lonely middle-aged catering manager spends all of his time studying tapes of an eccentric TV chef. Meanwhile, a young woman is making her way from Ireland to find her boy friend, who moved to England to get a job in a lawn-mower factory. On arrival, she makes an early contact with the caterer, who recommends a boarding room to her. Slowly, it is revealed that the caterer has in fact befriended and subsequently abused more than a dozen young women. He, of course, now sets his site on this woman.

Reading this far you have already assumed that this is another serial killer movie but that is where the similarity ends and that is exactly where the movie starts.
Its a drama rather a thriller. Throughout the movie it keeps a undertone of suspense.
Pace is slow, so if you are not used to watching dramas, you might not like it, but if you are looking for a good movie with a different plot and strong acting. This is it.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Just watched Dirty Dozen!! Another very good war movie though war scenes are only at the last half an hour or so.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
OLD Masterpiece
1)12 Angry Men(1957)-10/10 IMDB
The defense and the prosecution have rested and the jury is filing into the jury room to decide if a young Spanish-American is guilty or innocent of murdering his father. What begins as an open and shut case of murder soon becomes a mini-drama of each of the jurors' prejudices and preconceptions about the trial, the accused, and each other. Based on the play, all of the action takes place on the stage of the jury room.
Buy it here
2)Bicycle Thieves(1948) 9.5/10
A poor young father in postwar-ravaged Rome who finally finds work putting up Rita Hayworth posters around town, only to have his precious bicycle stolen the first day on the job. In a light moment as the father and his young son chase after the thief, the boy attempts to relieve himself against a wall, and his father lets him know they don't have time for that. In another scene, the father tracks the thief into the kitchen of a brothel.
IMDB
Buy it here

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^12 Angry Men is one of the classics & a gem from Hollywood. For me it is one of the best directorial efforts from Hollywood and it should be spoken in the same breath as Citizen Kane,Casablanca,Hitchcock & Copolla's greatest!!

pratik385

In the zone
i really want to watch 12 angry men and Bicycle thieves but dont have time :/
whats the running time of the movies?
there was one movie that has running time of 3hrs + but Im not remembering its name :(

ive seen Dirty Dozen and Empire of the sun. Very good movies, but not great ones.
Dirty Dozen is quite funny at times :D

clmlbx

Technomancer
their are lot of movies with run-time more then 3 Hours. Like. Godfather triology, LOTR triology, and many more.

Well here Run-time of "12 Angry Men" is 1:36:08.

pratik385

In the zone
damn iam not remembering the name of that movie which i didnt watch due to its run time was over 3hrs. Whats the run time of downfall :? naah its 155min !

Great movie,I always like war movies.
Oh yes Adrien Brody acted really well :clap2:

Any update to the list?

Saving private ryan
Schindler's List
Downfall
Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
Tora Tora
The Thin Red Line
Valkyrie
The Pianist
Black Hawk Down
Behind Enemy Lines
Enemy at the Gates

Missed some jewels like:

Bridge Over River Kwai
A Bridge too Far
Where Eagles Dare
The Longest Day.............over the top off my head!!

And not exactly on the same lines but still a great war movie - Great Escape!!

@ pratik385 - Recollected today morning the name of the movie : Taeguki a.k.a Brotherhood of War. This was the name I was trying to recollect yesterday but in vain!! Luckily did click me today morning!!:)

Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Paratroop Command (1955)
Where Eagles Dare (1968)
Cross of Iron (1977)
Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)

Done mate ive plenty of war movies now, ive many in my hdd but havent seen, d.w rest

Tenida

Gadget Freak
OLD Masterpiece
1)12 Angry Men(1957)-10/10 IMDB
The defense and the prosecution have rested and the jury is filing into the jury room to decide if a young Spanish-American is guilty or innocent of murdering his father. What begins as an open and shut case of murder soon becomes a mini-drama of each of the jurors' prejudices and preconceptions about the trial, the accused, and each other. Based on the play, all of the action takes place on the stage of the jury room.
Buy it here
2)Bicycle Thieves(1948) 9.5/10
A poor young father in postwar-ravaged Rome who finally finds work putting up Rita Hayworth posters around town, only to have his precious bicycle stolen the first day on the job. In a light moment as the father and his young son chase after the thief, the boy attempts to relieve himself against a wall, and his father lets him know they don't have time for that. In another scene, the father tracks the thief into the kitchen of a brothel.
IMDB
Buy it here

12 Angry man-
Run time-1hr 36 min
Bcycle thieves
Runtime-1hr 33 min.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Saw 4 (2007) - 7.5/10
jigsaw rulez...starting scene is superb....

Inglourious Basterds (2009) - 6.5/10
not so gr8...acting is brilliant...but still lacks the punch

ajayritik

Technomancer
Zathura or Jumanji

Jumanji?
Zathura?

The only thing with a cube and unleashment of pure hell, is HellRaiser.

Guys I'm sorry for the late reply. I was asking about a movie which I watched and unable to remember. It's basically a horror movie. There are brother, sister and step mother.
The only answer which I think is near looks like hell raiser.

Also Zathura released later than 2000 so that doesn't qualify and Jumanji is not exactly a horror movie.

pratik385

In the zone
Cool Hand Luke (1967) - 8/10
Good old movie. Nice act by Paul Newman. He was really cool in this movie.
Liners in this movie was really good. Watched it yesterday night :)

Top Bottom