Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Yo, "superstar", I don't watch those over-reactin' sons o' b*****s. No offense to ye but I hate Bollywood. And this' my opinion. I hope ye don't gun down at me, do ye? Give me Clint's classics anytime.

Aliens vs. Predator: 8.5/10. I want to know more 'bout Predators.
The Day of the Jackal: 9/10. Superb movie! Ed Fox's actin' was great.
Signs: 9.4/10. Awesome plot, superb actin' & the best M. Night Shyamalan's movie.

Last edited:

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
sorry guys i had just lost a PES 2010 championship match to a friend ;( :p

but bollywood isnt the only form of hindi cinema.there are many better non-mainstream hindi/regional movies made by us

@NVIDIAGeek classics belong to a different category.the only saving grace about hollywood is that they release at least a dozen watchable films each year while we have 1-3 max. also i get POed at the fact that most people only see hollywood as an alternative to bollywood when there is so much of world cinema to offer

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Anybody seen Blairwitch project...is it more scary than paranormal activity....:p
I've seen it.
As I've not yet seen PA, can't compare it.
But, Blairwitch Project is something eerie.
Starts boring, and feels repulsive as it progresses. But, its take is as a mocumentary so, twists and turns would take their time to come, and when it starts u'll enjoy it.
It does not fall in conventional horror movies. But its scary.
It successfully builds an eerie environment and absorbs u with the characters. Thus, u start to feel uneasy while watching it.
Watch it, its first of its kind and u won't be disappointed.

also pls tell abt the horror movie 'The shining'
IMO, "The Shining" is better be called a psychological horror. Good, but I won't rate it best as many of here say so (if u r new to this genre, u may find it stunning and shocking enough but if u have the habit of watching such movies...it may nt appeal u that much)

Yo, "superstar", I don't watch those over-reactin' sons o' b*****s. No offense to ye but I hate Bollywood. And this' my opinion. I hope ye don't gun down at me, do ye? Give me Clint's classics anytime.
Now, wat happened to u?
Its personal choice guys.
IMO, its the story and execution that u should look into a movie. Not, everything that is produced in bollywood is crap and not everything produced in hollywood is Gem.

Watch Predator and Predator2.
Aliens vs. Predator: This has a sequel too ;-)

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot

The Day of the Jackal: 9/10. Superb movie! Ed Fox's actin' was great.
Signs: 9.4/10. Awesome plot, superb actin' & the best M. Night Shyamalan's movie.

Now you are talking completely wrong. Sure Bollywood is not giving lot of films that have the caliber but you are generalizing the things. Do you really think that all of hindi actors are sons of *****ees and all the movies they produce are crap?

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^I didn't say all the movies. But most of 'em are like I said.

@rhitwick: Yeah, AvP: Requiem, I've seen it & has loads of gore. I love AvP series. AvP 3's comin'? I've watched Predator too, the best Arnold film for me. It's so good. I've watched it 20-30 times. I saw it when I was 13. I'll never miss a year without seein' that movie :rolleyes:. I hope Predators will be good, if not awesome.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
indian film industry survives on plagiarism...so many dont know where they copy from and think bolly,kolly...making great movies...god bless india

quan chi

mortal kombat
Alright i see a debate going on between bollywood and hollywood.

ok to lighten the matter here is something from my side. i will post for both the sides(hollywood and bollywood).

since its a huge topic i will try to keep it in short and simple.

though i have watched many movies but these days i have almost given up watching movies. or you can say from few years.

CONS of indian cinema
1.first as ethan said i find it very very annoying about bollywood.bollywood,kollywood tollywood...wtf. why they feel ashamed of naming it indian cinema or hindi cinema etc etc.

2.copy or rather inspiration the word they use is the main factor.In short lack of originality.

3.i have watched some of the karan johars movies take for example.and i only liked kuch kuch hota hai.even though it contained some stupid elements.
but rest of his movies feels like stupid.

4.i have seen the promos of 'my name is khan' and i didnt liked it a bit. :-x

5.best example i liked 'rang de basanti' a film which truley tried to hold all the colours.in short in one film they portrayed the current problems of india and its position/perception/relation compared to other countries.
i liked andaz apna apna,hera pheri,...and many others including 70s and before 70s movies.

but leave them what i want to show is look even though some of them were remake but were hit because it had the indian essence in it.

i havent watched paa and i have no interest to watch it because it was 'inspired' from 'the strange case of benjamin button' :-x

NOW PROS

take an example here say ghajini.

i have watched 'memento'(the moment man) and ghajni too.

(allthose who have watched the film should agree that the film memento is a classic and the presentation of the story itself is artistic and brilliant.the protagonit 'Leonard' played by guy pearce originally feels like he is suffering from 'short term memory loss'.great direction by cristopher nolan.)
i will rate memento as a crime art film.

Comming to ghajni I have no complaints against ghajni even though it has many stupid elements inside it.

reason:- if ghajni had been made a true copy of memento then it would have been a total flop.
1.very few people would have understood it in one go.
2.only intellectual people would have watched this film and would have criticised it for being a remake.:D

example 2:- raaz said to be inspired from 'what lies beneath'

now here mahesh bhatt did an amazing thing :D and he converted intellingently the whole hollywood film in to a nice entertaining hindi film.thats why it was a hit.:D
examples will go on..:D

in short moral of the story is hindi film industry targets the audience who wants to enjoy a film without applying their brains much.

HOLLYWOOD

Even hollywood also produces movies like crap.
as i said this debate is huge i will try to keep it in short.

lets pick..hmmm...yes..Armageddon..movie which intelligently masks the flaws for its first time viewers.:grin:

yeah...when i watched the movie for the first time i liked it very much.
then after 3-4 times it really became very irritating for me.
over acting and stupid directions at some parts.even the story seems a bit stupid.except bruce willis other charecters seemed a bit painful.
i almost forgot all those as i have seen it long back.other wise i would have given more descriptions.:D

there are also many others. worse than this film.actually they even cannot be compared with this one.:D whose name i cant remember now.

but majority of the hollywood films emphasizes on science fiction.some of them are good. some of them are worthless.

films i can watch multiple times:- terminator judgement day,mission imposible1,2.jurrasic park,pitch black,chasing liberty,matrix,silence of the lambs,jaws1,jaws2...and some others(xmen,spiderman type not included:grin:)

some movies which i liked : kate and leopold(nice movie first time i saw hugh jackman without wolverine:lol:),jeepers creeper,the evolution,leon,the invasion of the body snatchers,the exorcist:the beginning......and many whose names i cant remember now.

Last edited:

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^Yeah. Hollywood rules! Period. Bollywood people doesn't have the imaginary power. '60s had but not now. Who's the best director in Bollywood, eh? Let us compare him to THE BEST director in Hollywood, James Cameron. Shall we? :D

quan chi

mortal kombat
^^he is not the best yet.there are many.alfred hitchcock is the one i like.
even presently steven spielberg has made many wonderful movies.:grin:

i also liked 'koi mil gaya' good conversion of 'the extraterrestrial' in indian version by rakesh roshan.
but i dint liked its sequel at all.:mad:

Last edited:

dreams

Gracias Senor
Anybody seen Blairwitch project...is it more scary than paranormal activity....:p
also pls tell abt the horror movie 'The shining'
I watched PA and recently BWP. I would say, PA was much creepier than BWP. Atleast in PA, we can see the activities done by the ghost/spirit, walking in/out, closing of doors automatically, blewing the bedspread etc.. But in BWP, we can hear the sounds alone of the ghost/spirit. After watching BWP, went to IMDB and read all goof ups and trivia. This unplotted the many knots which was not understood by me by watching the movie. Like, who was standing faced to the wall in the climax, wat was rolled in the wood and cloth package etc. I got creepier only in the climax of BWP and that too lasted not more than a minute.
My choice would be PA.

@superstar
It is one's own perspective on watching movies. I too dont watch bollywood flicks, cos, now it has become pure skinshow. I too watch some good movies which were made in between. I am not against Bollywood movies, but its my own feeling.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
i havent watched paa and i have no interest to watch it because it was 'inspired' from 'the strange case of benjamin button' :-x
AFAIK, Paa is not copy of "Benjamin button" rather a "Robin Williams" movie Jack :)

Well, let me tell u, hollywood also copies.
The kind of names u've wrote, I guess u r into world cinema.
U can find numerous movies of Korea, Chinese, Jap, German etc being remade into hollywood, yep most of the time they buy rights but in our case we just name it inspired or co-incident.

Till date a few directors are coming with original scripts, among them I would like to name,
Anurag Kashyap
Vishal Varadwaj
Shimit Amin
Anurag Basu
Madhur Bhandarkar (experimental, forcefully scripted research results)

In hollywood I liked the work of,
Steven Spielberg
Frank Oz
Christopher Nolan
And, my all time fav, Alfred Hitchcock

IMO, go for content...not language, not nation...

Last edited:

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
Don't be movie snobs....Just enjoy them!!!

Coming to topic:

THE FLY - 9.5/10 : (repeat viewing)This is still one my favorite sci-fi / horror flick! The transformation of Bundlefly is scary as well as heart breaking! Must watch!!!

GROUNDHOG DAY:9/10 : (repeatd viewing :))) Tell you story of a man who is stuck in a day! Every day is Feb 2 for him, every tommorow infact today! Starring Bill Murray , this is again an excellent Comedy/Family movie!

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
^Yeah. Hollywood rules! Period. Bollywood people doesn't have the imaginary power. '60s had but not now. Who's the best director in Bollywood, eh? Let us compare him to THE BEST director in Hollywood, James Cameron. Shall we? :D

Hmmm.. What do you call Mani Rathnam, J.P.Dutta, Imtiaz Ali.. Sorry that's all i can remember after all I am from Andhra Pradesh. So, I watch a li'l BW movies.

Bollywood is a Crap for a person who Watches Hollywood. Directors are making the replicas of HW movies coz.. Younger generation are fascinated by those. And unfortunately what they are missing in this process is.. younger generation doesn't want the replicas of HW but the movies that has the caliber of those movies. And we can't see those type of films as long as our Producers, Heroes, Directors will stick to formulas and got stuck in number games.

And the person who watches BW movies should change..We should not compare every movie we see with the hollywood. We should see it as a distinct BW movie.

Sure BW lacks films that have novelty and creativity. But it is not because of the people who lack talent.. but the lack of producers who have courage to do it.

And hey.. Don't let BW down and say it lacks talented people and it's full of
b@st@@rds. It is the movie industry which other countries will see as a benchmark of our films. :D

For me.. There is Telugu Film Industry where there will be 260 films released in a year and among them.. there will be only 2 or 3 hundred days films. EPIC lol isn't it(not even 2% of success ratio)!!!

quan chi

mortal kombat
AFAIK, Paa is not copy of "Benjamin button" rather a "Robin Williams" movie Jack :)

Well, let me tell u, hollywood also copies.
The kind of names u've wrote, I guess u r into world cinema.
U can find numerous movies of Korea, Chinese, Jap, German etc being remade into hollywood, yep most of the time they buy rights but in our case we just name it inspired or co-incident.

Till date a few directors are coming with original scripts, among them I would like to name,
Anurag Kashyap
Vishal Varadwaj
Shimit Amin
Anurag Basu
Madhur Bhandarkar (experimental, forcefully scripted research results)

In hollywood I liked the work of,
Steven Spielberg
Frank Oz
Christopher Nolan
And, my all time fav, Alfred Hitchcock

IMO, go for content...not language, not nation...

rhitwick i have followed your previous posts and really liked those as i think at some points our ideas do match.

anyways here also i agree with you i know which movies you mean by giving those directors name.;-) therefore as i have mentioned earlier i have no objection in such kind of movies.as they are original and have all those things which makes it like a pure indian film.

well coming to paa well thanks for bringing that to light.:D.and i never said it is a copy.i said according to their word its inspired from that film.:grin:

but if i remember correctly actually its making was announced after that benjamin button film.though both might be totally different. but one thing is common in both the films the protagonist is born old.:grin: but in the later the story takes twist.(reverse):D

anyways leave it.yes i do know many hollywood films also copy or remake but you have already answered that.that they buy rights.

and even some movies are worthless. actually i wanted to name one particularly i have seen in tv but its name is not comming to my mind right now.
anyways will post it later when it comes to my mind.

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
Into The Wild 8/10
Beautiful movie.... I'll never forget this one. This is one of the best movies I've watched this year.

Top Bottom