Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Hunterrr is one awesome movie! They were even planning a sequel...not sure what happened.

Loft - Dutch movie. Heard some awesome reviews but turned out to be okay, nothing great.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Is there any better suggestion for this category in Bollywood or any other??

Hunterrr sure comes right on mind as its still fresh in memory.

As this debate came up, I gave this a thought.

I'm not exactly sure what I can call a sex comedy. How much comedy and how much sex?
Hollywood was experimenting in this genre for a long time and I hated most of them.

There were couple of movies which had good comedy and a good mixture of 'nudity' too. These scenes were not eye-candy rather contributed to story arch of the movie.
For bollywood this genre is totally new as our censor board is coming to adult age now. They are passing on any movie with enough skin show and double meaning jokes as sex-comedy.
Most of the time these comedy movies can be easily considered under slapstick-comedy.

What do you say?

A

amit.tiger12

Hunterrr is one awesome movie! They were even planning a sequel...not sure what happened.

Loft - Dutch movie. Heard some awesome reviews but turned out to be okay, nothing great.
I watched these.

Don Jon (2013) - not comedy but good story

Sleeping With Other People (2015) - little comedy and love story.

Love (2015)

Pleasure or Pain (2013) - ........

Sex Tape*(2014)

Jan Dara (2001) & Jan Dara: The Finale (2013) - little comedy and ok story

Dirty Grandpa (2016)

Dangerous Addiction (2015)

American pie is not that good in comedy.
If you remember the incident happened Mumbai, AIB Roast.
Even that comedy wasn't entertaining.
Those who gets insulted they laugh, and the rosters, and some fans.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Actually I don't waste money on entertainment unless it's worth it.
Do you really think that actors should get 10-40 cr for a movie per year??

I can understand & also agree with you on this. You might be wondering why I am posting so late. Well I think you might have seen the trailer of a stupid film with overacting called " dishoom". Now they released an Item song "janeman aah" in youtube whose lyrics are what to say are just garbage. Even public were bashing the song in the comment section it had 7k likes & around 6.5k dislikes. Then suddenly after an hour it got 22k likes & around 10.3k dislikes!! However the comment section was still filled with dislike comments.
How is that possible? Well these shameless chu#$as not only purchase awards & distribute them amongst themselves they must have purchased some companies too to increase the likes in their youtube videos whenever the situation goes against them.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
naa slap stick comedies different, these sex comedies are not slapstick ....... some david Dhawan movies can be categorized under slapstick comedies ...

I think it does. Slapstick comedy always dealt with broad and forced humor. Putting people in awkward situations and conducting outrageous actions which may never arise in normal day-to-day life.

These sex-comedies also create such situations but rather using physical humor (or more Physical?!) use skin show and double meaning jokes or visuals.

b/w slapstick | comedy | Britannica.co

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Slapstick comedy is more to do with physical humor .....

Slapstick is a style of humor involving exaggerated physical activity which exceeds the boundaries of normal physical comedy

Slapstick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedi

I Know and even I mentioned that. In sex-comedies such slap-stick comic situations arise most of the time and they happen to center around sex/nudity

icebags

Technomancer
Chinese movie festival [MENTION=105235]nandan[/MENTION], Kolkata, from 17th (today) to 20th.

anyone going there ? they are showing these movies in sequence :

shanghai calling,
monkey king , the fleet of time
so young , not the less
nine-colored deer, the last emperor

probably [MENTION=134188]shreeux[/MENTION] has already seen all these movies, even though he lives nowhere near kolkata. :grin_NF:

A

amit.tiger12

Chinese movie festival [MENTION=105235]nandan[/MENTION], Kolkata, from 17th (today) to 20th.

anyone going there ? they are showing these movies in sequence :

shanghai calling,
monkey king , the fleet of time
so young , not the less
nine-colored deer, the last emperor

probably [MENTION=134188]shreeux[/MENTION] has already seen all these movies, even though he lives nowhere near kolkata. :grin_NF:
What you have to pay for these film festivals screen?? Are these similar like single screen, multiscreen theatres or mall?? Please give me some info and difference between these festival screening and normal theatres.
I never attended any movie festival. Kala Ghoda festival is well known here Mumbai. But didn't got a chance to visit.

icebags

Technomancer
What you have to pay for these film festivals screen?? Are these similar like single screen, multiscreen theatres or mall?? Please give me some info and difference between these festival screening and normal theatres.
I never attended any movie festival. Kala Ghoda festival is well known here Mumbai. But didn't got a chance to visit.

well, various parties, incl bengal govt periodically arrange film festivals in kolkata, on yearly basis and/or when they feel like. mostly they arrange it at one of our heritage movie theatre called "nandan". it has 2 screens, one of which is pretty big (even though the seating facility sux).

but during kolkata international festival (not very big at budget or celebration, but they show a lot of rare and art films which are unavailable in country otherwise) they book multiple theatres, and filmwise showtimes are also declared here. sometimes you will have to collect passes, sometimes it's just free, & u will have to go there @ 6:00 am to stand in a queue for a film thats gonna be shown at 10:00 am.

when a film festival is declared, entry details are also declared, otherwise it can also be known by visiting the nandan ticket counter itself.

p.s. foreign consul generals are very active at kolkata, they often organize stuff, few months ago they also arranged japanese film festival. recently, 2 weeks ago there was chinese dragon boat festival arranged @ rabindra sarovar (went there, missed the boat race but saw the martial art & puppet show).

some more info from media :
China government to organise film festival in Kolkata | Business Standard New

quan chi

mortal kombat
Stripes (1981)
Only saw it for bill murray. Overall a good movie but with few racist jokes. Dont watch if you are too sensitive.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Batman vs superman : dawn of justice
Yes maybe a bit boring due to the editing part.I too was bored towards the middle. Yes there maybe some cliched or meaningless scenario too But it can be overlooked. But in no way this movie is as bad as some people say it is. Overall its a decent one time watch.

A

amit.tiger12

Batman vs superman : dawn of justice
Yes maybe a bit boring due to the editing part.I too was bored towards the middle. Yes there maybe some cliched or meaningless scenario too But it can be overlooked. But in no way this movie is as bad as some people say it is. Overall its a decent one time watch.
Did you watch extended or theatrical???
Extended is 3hr 2min and theatrical is 2hr 25min...

A

amit.tiger12

You mean almost 45 mins not shown on theatre? Why such difference?

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk
I can't explain it, you can google it for Batman v Superman, if you asking specially for this movie. But most of the times you see Blu-ray extended or r-rated have more mins hrs.
Some are saying that Batman v Superman Blu-ray R-rated cut will be more than extended about 3hr 20min long and will release in this month. That Hobbit Trilogy Blu-ray extended version is more than 3hr 30min long. You can check on any Blu-ray site (buying-selling).
Why such difference??? Don't know why?? But sometimes theatre going people does not want sit for that long and for those theatre goers movie is for entertainment. And perfect cinema lovers, critics, want to make career in film industry watch these extended, r-rated, extras.
Other than that don't know much.
P.S. - Zack's (director of BvS) watchmen extended version was too boring because of that comic animation movie inside watchmen movie. boy came to bookstall for reading that same comic over and over again, i just fast forwarded it when that animation part came. I didn't find any connection for that animation and watchmen story.
Moral of the story - sometimes it gets boring.

Last edited by a moderator:

quan chi

mortal kombat
Did you watch extended or theatrical???
Extended is 3hr 2min and theatrical is 2hr 25min...

Extended. Not worth it if you ask me. Both are same & does not affect the story in any way.

Bunny lake is missing.
Must watch. Even I couldn't guess the ending. Very very well directed.

Top Bottom