Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
That thing called tadhana 7.5/10

This is a love-story from Philippines.

Sweet and simple one.
Nicely acted by the leads.

Check it out if you have no allergy from love stories.

NOTE : please don't read the spoiler if you've not watched the movie. I've had to mention the key elements of this movie to ask a doubt.

I found a shadow of "My sassy girl" in this movie. No, not plot theft or remake but a very light shadow. Specially few key elements matches in both movies.

The girl loses her BF at the beginning of the movie.
Meets a new boy at train station/airport
Boy travels with her at random places or whereever she wants
Girl randomply shouts to stranger for an annoying reason
Girl has the habit of writing stories and made the boy listen to one of it
Girl is taken to a hill top where she shouts and pours her heart out
Girl meets a prospect new man in her life than the boy she is spending time now.
Boy realizes his feelings later and goes after her

Well, if you remember "My Sassy Girl" and have "That thing called tadhana" you might find these things in the later movie.
Tell me if I'm over simplifying things?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
12 Years a Slave - 7/10 - It's just plain old stuff served again. Seen movies like this, read about it before but there is nothing new to the experience. Cinematography is average. Acting is ok.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Watch this bro..More over slave movies like that with actions.,

That is another way to have a good time, that a western dish made ​​by Tarantino. Quentin Tarantino returns to give us a work amazing and disturbing.

Django Unchained (2012) 9/10
R | 165 min | Western | 25 December 2012 (USA)

Hey, seen that already.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Based on a true story, The real problem with True Story is contained in its title. The story isn’t too good to be true, but rather too true to be good.

True Story (2015) 4/10
R | 99 min | Drama, Mystery, Thriller | 17 April 2015 (USA)

Please post in must not thread if rating < 5.

amjath

Human Spambot
The Flowers of War does it, It made me a unforgettable impression.The plot and the frame of movie are very excellent .Most important, I was deeply stirred by the sad story of 13 FLOWERS . It's a special film of sacrifice, redemption and hope in the shadow of a holocaust that packs with emotional from which there is no escape.

Its Must be watch...!!!

The Flowers of War (2011) 8/10
"Jin líng shí san chai" (original title)
R | 146 min | Drama, History, War | 16 December 2011 (China)

"The Flowers of War" it takes place during the Rape of Nanking (1937-38), one of the most horrifying atrocities in history, during which the Imperial Japanese Army invaded the Chinese capital city and slaughtered an estimated 300,000 civilians, usually raping the women first. It is one thing for civilians to die in the course of a war, and another for them to be hunted down and wiped out on a personal basis for the crime of their race.

Highly recommended movie, liked every bit of it. It will almost makes you cry/sad.

Flash

Lost in speed
The Flowers of War does it, It made me a unforgettable impression.The plot and the frame of movie are very excellent .Most important, I was deeply stirred by the sad story of 13 FLOWERS . It's a special film of sacrifice, redemption and hope in the shadow of a holocaust that packs with emotional from which there is no escape.

Its Must be watch...!!!

The Flowers of War (2011) 8/10
"Jin líng shí san chai" (original title)
R | 146 min | Drama, History, War | 16 December 2011 (China)

"The Flowers of War" it takes place during the Rape of Nanking (1937-38), one of the most horrifying atrocities in history, during which the Imperial Japanese Army invaded the Chinese capital city and slaughtered an estimated 300,000 civilians, usually raping the women first. It is one thing for civilians to die in the course of a war, and another for them to be hunted down and wiped out on a personal basis for the crime of their race.
Ernest Hemingway said:
But in modern war you will die like a dog for no good reason.
So true.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
The Conjuring - 5.6/10 - I don't get the ratings on imdb and rotten tomatoes. It's strictly an average movie. Certain scenes slapped in your face for shock value. It was spooky before but then it got all predictable. And the fear lost its grip. May be because I don't follow Christianity, I found it funny with all those religious symbols to ward off evil. Sinister had better moments of scare.

On the other hand Japanese horror sends chill down the spine. Not the in your face kind. But even "in your face" kind scares are based on primal fears (like something popping out of water, long black hair etc). Largely, it's the atmosphere and the believable story with fear of unknown that made me actually think twice before going to take a pee break after watching the movie The Cure. It's utter madness. It stays with you for a while. Another movie from same director, Pulse .

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
On the other hand Japanese horror sends chill down the spine. Not the in your face kind. But even "in your face" kind scares are based on primal fears (like something popping out of water, long black hair etc). Largely, it's the atmosphere and the believable story with fear of unknown that made me actually think twice before going to take a pee break after watching the movie The Cure. It's utter madness. It stays with you for a while. Another movie from same director, Pulse .

Asian horror is always better than Hollywood. Somehow, Japanese mastered it.

Next comes I guess Korean and then Thai.

Yet to see some good horror from China.

quan chi

mortal kombat
The conjuring is far better than the insidious series & in NO way an average movie. The later can be called as an average movie. I have seen many average & even worst movies.I liked the way the story takes its time to build up & create tension. In sinister I think I only got scared in one or two scenes rest was not that much scary. Overall I would say both were good.
Again tastes differ.
BTW sinister 2 flopped miserably.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I liked conjuring. Though it uses jump scare, it has a well made story and successfully creates a spooky environment.
Sinister was good too.
Sorry, can't take sides. Loved both.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I was laughing at the makeup and effects. It started well but revealed too much without much twist as story progressed. For me, horror shouldn't end at the climax. It should begin from there and stay with you for a while. The Conjuring failed to create that effect. "It follows" succeeded in that. Sinister to some extent too.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^ Exactly. I was laughing at those scenes which were supposed to be horror ones. Like when that witch jumps down from the wardrobe.

Yeah, that scene broke the horror for me. Just badly done. Even those clapping hands in wardrobe were lame. It's as if a child wrote the script.

$hadow

Geek in making
Every thing was looking like it was done in a hassle to finish it. No strong horror scenes and not even the kick that you generally expect from horror movies.

icebags

Technomancer
^ Exactly. I was laughing at those scenes which were supposed to be horror ones. Like when that witch jumps down from the wardrobe.

just think like someone or something doing those and crawling to u from ur back, when u r watching the film. u will automatically get horrified.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I hate to disagree all "The Conjuring" haters here.

I am a big horror movie fan. I've tried almost all possible horror genres possible.

I agree "The Conjuring" uses "jump scare" : sudden sound, sudden appearence of a person, literally 'jump' scare
But, I would say if you can ignore that part, it successfully painted a good spooky environment.

[MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION], well horror movies have two endings (exception allowed if I'm forgetting others). Either the conflict is resolved or not.
For conjuring the conflict is resolved and you did not like it.

Ok, but this is the ending of this movie which does not match your standards but does not necessarily make it a bad horror movie.

B/w, this is my actual review that I posted in 2013
*www.digit.in/forum/chit-chat/84916...ead-v1-ratings-opinions-1784.html#post1987514

The Conjuring 7.5/10

This movie tops my list of horror movies released this year by far. "Mama" is good contest for it and could have topped it but due to its shitty climax it won't.

Conjuring is brief, crisp, sticks to the point and never overdoes things.
Though uses 'jump scares' (literally! ) and heavily depends on "sound effects"; few here would found that discouraging.

Still, I would say give this a try, you won't be disappointed.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
[MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION], well horror movies have two endings (exception allowed if I'm forgetting others). Either the conflict is resolved or not.
For conjuring the conflict is resolved and you did not like it.

Ok, but this is the ending of this movie which does not match your standards but does not necessarily make it a bad horror movie.

A good horror movie works irrespective of the endings. Like I said, it started well but then got predictably mediocre halfway through. Not necessarily the ending but too much reveal.

Even for sound effects, I liked The Orphanage.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Okay I agree yes the movie starts well & towards the climax it becomes predictable & has some hackneyed scenes. But overall it is good. It may not be liked by some people maybe due to those jump scares but that does not make it a bad movie.

Btw even in my review (movie review thread) I have stated
Perhaps the main question would be does it scare?
The answer is its subjective. As a general answer it may not scare you that much but is good enough to justify the price of your ticket.

Well please No offence to anyone but if I go by some of the poster's definition of horror movies here then I would say

The exorcist is more like a comedy film than a horror movie.
Cuppola's dracula is boring & it never scares.
Suspiria has only good music & no horror at all thus it is a bad movie & so on.

However these above mentioned movies (& many more) got pretty good ratings all over the world. Now why is that?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Adventurer:The Curse of the Midas Box (2013) - 9/10

Plot Summary:After his parents and brother are kidnapped, a Victorian-era British teen learns about an artifact that can turn anything into gold...

Altar (2014) - 8/10

Plot Summary: It is about a British family who move into a dilapidated old manor house out on the Yorkshire Moors, only to discover that it has a dark past...

Top Bottom