Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well...didn't wanted to compare but then again, I had to reinstall 3 times so far. I m really missing a system restore or GUI safe mode in Linux. If anything goes wrong, I don't have safe mode to fix it....how can I say Linux is better when it doesn't even provide basic requirements.

It's not wrong to say that using Windows & Mac is a far better experience due to the extensive feature set & application support compared to Linux. Just tell me, other then Picasa is there any Photo Manager for linux which is remotely a threat to ACDSee? I tried 5 image viewers so far

The problem of Codecs etc which started with Ubuntu 7.04 which I tried last is solved in Mint. It played all my files, although I had to use Amarok for music which isn't a GNome app. I m downloading Kubuntu, I hope that is better out of the box.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
Well...didn't wanted to compare but then again, I had to reinstall 3 times so far. I m really missing a system restore or GUI safe mode in Linux. If anything goes wrong, I don't have safe mode to fix it....how can I say Linux is better when it doesn't even provide basic requirements.
Dude, trust me of all the people who use Ubuntu only you seem to haf some "exotic" problems! You haf a "safe mode". Its called "recovery mode".

gx_saurav said:
It's not wrong to say that using Windows & Mac is a far better experience due to the extensive feature set & application support compared to Linux. Just tell me, other then Picasa is there any Photo Manager for linux which is remotely a threat to ACDSee? I tried 5 image viewers so far
Will you tell all of us what features does Picasa/F-Spot miss that ACDSee has which a normal user uses?

This is ACDSee's page: *store.acdsee.com/store/acd/DisplayHomePage/Locale.en_US/Currency.USD

Kindly point me to any link which says: $0!

gx_saurav said:
I m downloading Kubuntu, I hope that is better out of the box.
Don't bother :)

gx_saurav said:
Oh! & trust me, Compiz uses the GPU to accelerate rendering but not draw it.
I would like to know more about it as this is news for me. Haf any sources to backup your claim? I would appreciate if you point me to somewhere where it says so.

If you haf any more queries then fire up. People would be glad to help :)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Its called "recovery mode".

Like I said before, it's not a GUI mode. This is the year 2007, we need a GUI mode.

Kindly point me to any link which says: $0!

Even if I take Irfanview....that will beat anything Linux has. Picasa is a god send app on Linux.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
gx_saurav said:
Can i recompile the kernel & applications? If yes then how to
normal installation is taking so much time for you.... recompile kernel & apps will take ages. So better forget recompiling whole stuff & concentrate more on running normal Ubuntu first. :)

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
The_Devil_Himself said:
rofl@recompiling kernel.can't believe!!
i need a noob tutorial for it:))

vish786 said:
normal installation is taking so much time for you.... recompile kernel & apps will take ages. So better you forget recompiling whole stuff & concentrate more on running normal Ubuntu first. :)
go easy way GX, windows calling u:D

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
Like I said before, it's not a GUI mode. This is the year 2007, we need a GUI mode.
Like I've said before GFX drivers are the major cause of most of the problems. This is the year 2007, yet stable drivers are NOT OUT! Thats the problem. If you haf a GFX driver problem then what use is a "GUI safe mode"? Situation in OSS is different!

Also haf you ever tried Recovery mode? If not then just boot into it, select selective startup, start whatever services you want then at the end of it login as root (or any user) and type: startx

You haf a "GUI safe mode" since you've allowed only those services to run which you want.

gx_saurav said:
Even if I take Irfanview....that will beat anything Linux has.
Feature list Sir, feature list... Tell us exactly what features are you missing in the Linux counterparts which a normal user uses on Windows.

Tho, I agree that IrfanView is a very versatile program; apart from Multimedia feature (A/V) gThumb has every feature that IrfanView has (Touch ups: brightness, contrast, colour levels, hue satu, rotations, batch conversion, scaling... the list goes on...!)

So when you make a claim, kindly back it up with some evidence rather than trolling.

gx_saurav said:
Picasa is a god send app on Linux.
You sound as if ACDSee and IrfanView are an integral part of Windows and come bundled with it for free!

Any more Questions? You need any help? We are all here to help you :)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
For once, stop laughing & think yourself. Compared to the Windows applications & feature, does linux stands a chance anywhere? It is hardly a threat to Windows.

An OS is as good as the apps it has, so far Linux is inferior to Windows in this context. Even the free apps for Windows are better then Linux in most cases.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
gx_saurav said:
For once, stop laughing & think yourself. Compared to the Windows applications & feature, does linux stands a chance anywhere? It is hardly a threat to Windows.

An OS is as good as the apps it has, so far Linux is inferior to Windows in this context. Even the free apps for Windows are better then Linux in most cases.
are we here to help you in running Linux or comparing lin & win. :rolleyes:

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
infra_red_dude said:
Like I've said before GFX drivers are the major cause of most of the problems. This is the year 2007, yet stable drivers are NOT OUT! Thats the problem. If you haf a GFX driver problem then what use is a "GUI safe mode"? Situation in OSS is different!

If u r comparing it to Windows Vista's case, then in safe mode Vista uses "VGA Compatible graphics adapter" driver by which 99.9099999% graphics card boot in safe mode from where u can uninstall the troublesome driver.
Also haf you ever tried Recovery mode?

Sometimes Linux Mint hangs, & I press alt+ctrl+F1, & I get a DOS screen. I only know one command here which helps me, sudo reboot. If I log out, it logs me out in DOS mode, & typing startx says "another instance is already running"

But tell me about this more plz.

Feature list Sir, feature list... Tell us exactly what features are you missing in the Linux counterparts which a normal user uses on Windows.

Define normal user plz. I will post the feature list i m missing in Linux tomorrow

Just for the record, I m using Ext2FS driver for Windows to browser my Linux partition.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:

I'm still waiting for that "feature list" which Linux apps miss which a "normal user" would need.

gx_saurav said:
If u r comparing it to Windows Vista's case, then in safe mode Vista uses "VGA Compatible graphics adapter" driver by which 99.9099999% graphics card boot in safe mode from where u can uninstall the troublesome driver.
Even Linux has the VESA driver which works with most of the GFX cards. But again its works with "most" can't say 100%. Hence to be on the safer side the "GUI safe mode" doesn't come up by default. You hafta manually start it. Jus coz windows has a "gui" which loads by default doesn't mean all OS' should haf a GUI enabled safe mode by default. Safe mode in Linux gives you more control over your system and there are no doubts about that!!

gx_saurav said:
Sometimes Linux Mint hangs, & I press alt+ctrl+F1, & I get a DOS screen. I only know one command here which helps me, sudo reboot. If I log out, it logs me out in DOS mode, & typing startx says "another instance is already running"
When it "hangs" (I dunno why it ever should, plz give more details) in GUI then just press Ctrl + Alt + Backspace. More details would help in tracing the cause of this problem.

gx_saurav said:
Define normal user plz. I will post the feature list i m missing in Linux tomorrow
Tho the definition would vary, a normal user, broadly would wanna see his photos, organise them, import them, convert them across formats, touch them up (brightness, hue, rotation, scale etc.). I can't think of any other feature which I need from a Photo management software.

gx_saurav said:
Just for the record, I m using Ext2FS driver for Windows to browser my Linux partition
Oh thats great! :) I'm expecting a question from you regarding a corrupt Linux partition soon ;)

Yes Sir, any more questions? We'll help you. Don't hesitate to ask :)

vish786

"The Gentleman"
gs_saurav said:

But tell me about this more plz.
hey bagawan... "another instance is already running" means GUI mode is already running in background press ctrl+alt+f7 to get back to GUI mode... why do startx circus... ctrl+alt+backspace is to restart X server the one infra_red said.

for switching back to terminal mode you could use ctrl+alt+f1 to f6 wherein one can simultaneously run 6 sessions of console at same time & randomly switch between them.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
...and if Linux GUI really stuck,then for a reboot,try below sequence:
ALT+s+SysRq,ALT+u+SysRq,ALT+b+SysRq
^sync fs buffers ^unmount fs ^reboot
;)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
@Gf
climb all stairs one by one:|
remember the days when you first used a computer.
your experiance will be like that only or slightly better.
linux is entirely diffrent than windows as you know, and many here have told you many times.
so it will take time to get used to a linux way of doing things.
still if you don't like, then why waste your time?

Ps: pls stop comparing windows & linux,simple there no end. decide what is good for you & stick to it:)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i wud humbly request all oss members to tell grudgy to re-open the gutsy fight club thread so that this can be continued there ;) that is whyi made that thread there and all doubted my intentions .... i knew this was coming .... plz request the mods to re-open tht thread

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Well, looks like my age old verdict still stands true. Linux is good but it's not a threat to Windows with such inferior apps & features compared to Windows Counterpart.

Don't you think this is like playing a scratched record. No one gives a rats rear of what you think about Linux ...and that too especially in the Open Source forum. We / I use Linux cause we/I prefer it over Windows.

I'm reporting this just cause I hope it gets moved into the Fight Club so that you could troll there.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I think words are wasted here. Whether you want to use linux or not its your choice, that's what linux is all about. I think linux is meant only for people who are ready to use their brain. Its not for lazy people

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
iMav said:
i wud humbly request all oss members to tell grudgy to re-open the gutsy fight club thread
No need for that,you scare potential converts by posting your stupid acts of immaturity.
i knew this was coming ....
You too knew?wow.
plz request the mods to re-open tht thread
no way man,you guys wull talk bs and won't listen to others.

BTW I still can't stop giggling at gx recompiling kernel.joke of the century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom