Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
^recompiling kernel is not rocket science.when i was a n00b to Linux,i have done that!.especially it is easy in Debian based distros :)

and i still does to make the kernel clean.also to enable prescott optimization and other "cool features" hidden ;)

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^maybe but this guy cannot get a simple distro to work properly(or maybe he is just pretending to).whatever but still kernel compilation is not for noobs at all.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Gr8, this morning I booted in Linux Mint & my desktop resolution is automatically 1280X960 & when i set it to 1024X768 again, nothing happens.

GUI mode is already running in background press ctrl+alt+f7 to get back to GUI mode... why do startx circus... ctrl+alt+backspace is to restart X server the one infra_red said.

for switching back to terminal mode you could use ctrl+alt+f1 to f6 wherein one can simultaneously run 6 sessions of console at same time & randomly switch between them.
Thanx for telling me this. I guess task mager equivalent in Linux is System monitor.

@ Infra

My image management problem is solved by Picasa, I m not looking at any other alternative now.

The library management features of Amarok are strictly good, just like WInamp. How can i automatically search for Tags in amarok via the net like I can in WMP111? Also, I hate the blue icons of amarok, can I somehow change them to tango?

Hey is there something for pidgin which can tell me when a user comes online by a visual notification? Is guification available for LInux

One more thing, Amarok is skipping songs when playing. LIke if one song has compleated playing then before the song is over, 2nd songs starts playing, this isn't cross fading as I have it disabled.

What should I use? ALSA or Pulse Audio

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
Gr8, this morning I booted in Linux Mint & my desktop resolution is automatically 1280X960 & when i set it to 1024X768 again, nothing happens.
You must've surely done something (updated/messed) last nite which has changed the settings. Never even once has it happend to me by itself in the last 6 years, not in Windows not in any distro of Linux.

gx_saurav said:
Thanx for telling me this. I guess task mager equivalent in Linux is System monitor.
Yep, you got it rite dude :)

gx_saurav said:
My image management problem is solved by Picasa, I m not looking at any other alternative now.
Line pe aa gaya :rolleyes:

gx_saurav said:
The library management features of Amarok are strictly good, just like WInamp. How can i automatically search for Tags in amarok via the net like I can in WMP111? Also, I hate the blue icons of amarok, can I somehow change them to tango?
I'm not sure bro, as I don't use amaroK. Wait for some amoroK guy to reply. But I'm sure you can change things there.

Pulse audio is still nascent. I'd suggest you stick with ALSA. Its tried, tested and rock solid. Why go thru the hassles of installing it and then configuring it considering the fact that its not as widely accepted as ALSA and who knows it may haf some issues. So wait for sometime till Pulse Audio gets an all clear.

gx_saurav said:
Hey is there something for pidgin which can tell me when a user comes online by a visual notification? Is guification available for LInux
Yes. Jus goto Tools > Plugins and Enable the notifications there. I guess its Buddy state notification/Libnotify/DBus or something. Just check out its there but I'm not sure which one as I don't use it.

Btw, hope when you installed pidgin you've also installed the pidgin plugins package.

Any more questions, sir? Feel free to ask anything :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
The_Devil_Himself said:
No need for that,you scare potential converts
pretty much the same way as oss spreads FUD and gets those converts in the first place ;)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Thanx. I m sticking to ALSA

Screenlet problem is solved. Phone Management in Linux so far is pathetic. WIll try instaling My Phone explorer vis WIne.

AMarok is on halt right now....aaaaaaa I hate those blue KDE crystal icons.

Is there a drak black colour theme for Gnome? I tried dark looks but then the mint menu lost all it's colurs.

Can i assign my keyboard's windows key to open Mint menu when prssed...aadat pari hai na :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
Phone Management in Linux so far is pathetic. WIll try instaling My Phone explorer vis WIne.
From a phone manager I need:

1) Ability to sync contacts
2) Sync messages
3) Sync organizer (calender, tasks etc.)
4) Haf a log of call list

I can't think of any other use of a phone manager. What features do you miss in Wammu thats there in MyPhoneExplorer?

gx_saurav said:
Is there a drak black colour theme for Gnome?
You can try the UbuntuStudio theme or just browse gnome-look.org. There are hundreds. You'll hafta dig them out, tho.

gx_saurav said:
Can i assign my keyboard's windows key to open Mint menu when prssed...
If you use GNOME (I dunno what DE you use), just goto System > Prefs > Keyboard shortcuts. Click on Actions > Desktop > Show the panel menu and press the Windows key (if its detected) to change the shortcut.

gx_saurav said:
Going to study now, no more linux for a week
What??? :( No more questions for a week?? :cry:

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
From a phone manager I need:

1) Ability to sync contacts
2) Sync messages
3) Sync organizer (calender, tasks etc.)
4) Haf a log of call list

I can't think of any other use of a phone manager. What features do you miss in Wammu thats there in MyPhoneExplorer?

I tried wammu...now

1) It shows my Phone book but for some reason doesn't show the name of the people as it is stored in my phone. Want me to post a screenshot?

2) Does that....but when try to send a SMS, it refuces to show my phone book or Sim phone book.

3) Didn't try as Linux has no outlook 2007

4) It's there.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I'm not suspecting at you, no need to post screenshots bro! :)

1) I'm sure its some setting. It works fine for me.

2) Again, works fine for me. Some kinda setting change I believe

3) You don't need outlook 2007. Wammu has built in calender and to do sync facility (as in myphoneexplorer).

However, if you want that kinda sync then you can sync your phone with evolution. I believe its even possi to sync with Thunderbird (I'd read somewhere), tho I hafn't tried.

4) Yup :)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Hey guys, I got the Kubuntu 7.10 CD ISO image with me. Can I burn a CD or mount the CD as a virtual CD in Linux & give it's path to synaptic so that instead of downloading KDE from the net, synaptic would load & install KDE from Kubuntu CD? If yes then how do I do it?

Oh! & Wammu deleted my SMS from my phone today over the cable, don't know why...I had to restore all SMS using MyPhoneExplorer. No more using Phone on LInux, I only want file transfer to work now over bluetooth.

Also, Totem is not playing audio of my 3GP files

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^i guess you can't use livecd/image to install individual packages from it.

1.you can mount this image using gmount.

just :sudo apt-get install gmountiso

2.mount your cd image using it.(it'll be there in applications-->system tools)

3.open synaptic and add your cd to it.(edit-->add cd-rom)

4.select this cd image as source and see if you can find any relavent package.

Time for a reinstall I guess!But trust me gx KDE is pretty buggy and you won't like it much.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
It's KDE 3.5, I guess that is preety stable. I m going to use your way of integrating synaptic & Kubuntu CD

Guess u were right, It still says it needs to download 300 MB. So if LInux screws up for the 4th time, I will install KUbuntu.

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I disconnected from the net so that Synaptic won't check online, inserted the CD but still synaptic said it needs to download 200 MB & didn't look at the Kubuntu CD.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
gx_saurav said:
I disconnected from the net so that Synaptic won't check online, inserted the CD but still synaptic said it needs to download 200 MB & didn't look at the Kubuntu CD.
have you added the disc to your sources list?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
gx_saurav said:
^^^ I started synaptic, went to Edit->Add CD rom & it auto mounted.
then you should be able to install:eek: but if its a desktop cd then i don't think so as the FileSystem is different. I hope you download the alternate cd:cool:

also as KDE UI is similar to windows it appeals more to windows users than Gnome, but Gnome has its own Fans;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom