Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
well...if i can somehow install KDE 4 RC1 On my LInux Mintm let me know. However it seems like downloading Mint KDE Edition is a better idea...

anyway, just reinstalled Mint with GNome, will download Kubuntu in night.

Downloading KDEBluetooth right now

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^yay mulitasker you're seriously messing up things.

why are you downloading KDE 4 RC1?KDE 4 is pretty buggy as of now,I have kubuntu cd and I cudn't stand it more than a few hours so stick to gnome as of now or download any previous version of KDE.

BTW gnome is 10 times better than KDE in my opinion.easy to use and gets the job done.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
NucleusKore said:
Just install KDEbluetooth with the deps in Synaptic for the time being
he doesnt want kdebluetooth he wants kde in place of gnome for the desktop ;)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
sudo aptitude install kde

sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop
it will take more than 200MB

*www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

*help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingKDE

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Aaaa...this is what I hate in Linux. So many things, so much confusion...Mac OS X rox, there is only one way to do things in it. The jobs way...:D

Allright, fine..since KDE 4 RC1 is buggy, I got linux mint bare now wih my old var/cache/apt folder.

Just installed Pidgin 2.3 & Picasa again, & placed my old firefox profile folder back, so I m back to square 0...

c ya in a while, working on vista right now

praka123

left this forum longback
I think Gnome is simple.but kde may suit him more.it got all customization options and all :)

praka123

left this forum longback
I dont have these mobile phones with higher functionality.still bluetooth works fine afaik in Gnome.i think some service is needed to be enabled for bluetooth to work :( go to system>admin>services and enable bluetooth
*www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_p2
*www.howtoforge.com/fedora8-bluetooth-wammu-mobile-phone

NucleusKore

TheSaint
gx_saurav said:
Aaaa...this is what I hate in Linux. So many things, so much confusion...Mac OS X rox, there is only one way to do things in it. The jobs way...:D

If you stick to Synaptic there will be no confusion. No one asked you to download anything and compile, in case you have done that already on your own. Else there is no confusion

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
After reinstallation...

My prefered Photo Manager = Picasa

Music Player = Amarok

Video player = Totem

IM = Pidgin

Browser = Firefox

Download manager = GWget

Used envy to install latest drivers for nvidia

I tried compiz configuration...gosh it has soooo many options I don't even understand.

Bluetooth file browsing is back in action. Trying to configure wammu now

Last edited:

vish786

"The Gentleman"
no offense meant saurav, u and imav pull off thread so long with basic probs by this time thousands of other users might have installed Distros with full configuration & would have already started working on it. :)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
What can I say, i m a linux noob

Anyway, I found the bluetooth problem, it's about hot to turn off bluetooth in computer. In my case once my phone is paired with MInt, I m able to view the contents as a file browser but if i disable bluetooth in my phone then next time i have ti re-pair it with computer entering pass key again....:mad:

any solution.? How to turn off bluetooth in Linux? In WIndows I could just right click on the bluetooth icons in system tray & select "Turn off bluetooth"

I wish I could run My Phone explorer in LInux. Wammu is soooooo inferior & nascent.

Enough for today, going to windows now

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well, looks like my age old verdict still stands true. Linux is good but it's not a threat to Windows with such inferior apps & features compared to Windows Counterpart.

Linux itself is just a kernel, & when it comes to out of the box experience at first boot, then yeah...it is better then Windows as it comes with Pidgin, OpenOffice, inbuilt archiver etc, however tell me a single person who uses his computer without installing any 3rd party application.?

Once we start installing 3rd party application on Windows & Linux, then only we can get work done. In this scenario so far Windows is indeed much better then Linux cos the feature set of Windows Apps is far superior to Linux apps.

In Windows I use Acdsee 9, Picasa is also there on Windows & Linux but no where close to ACDSee when it comes to doing real work.

Music & Video player = WMP11 & Winamp. If I forget the looks, then Amarok & Totem are good enough. I just play my music playlist & minimize Winamp or Amarok to tray. Good thing I haven't tried the library feature of Amarok yet.

IM = Yahoo Messenger 9 beta/Google Talk/WL messenger, with webcam. Pidgin is there on Linux but good only for text chat. If Pidgin can support file transfer & webcam then I would switch to pidgin even on Windows.

Browser = Pimped up IE7. In Linux Mint there was only Firefox by default. Well, personal choice...but both are equally good.

Download manager = Orbit downloader. GWGet sux...doesn't stand a chance in front of mature download manager of Windows. Period.

Bluetooth File transfer in Linux is useless unless u install all those packages. In Vista atleast I can send & recieve files out of the box without installing any application. Once I install Bluesoliel 5 then it is a complete different story, trust me..Linux has nothing which even remotely compared to Bluesoliel.

Waamu is like a stone age application for Mobile Phones compared to MyPhoneExplorer. I tried Wammu a lot so i can like give the developer a 100% rewrite advice. It took 10 mins to connect over bluetooth to my phone & 5 mins over cable.

Compiz-Fusion has so many options that I was masmarised :D. Anyway, it is good to impress my gf, that is it. Nothing productive at all.

Oh! & trust me, Compiz uses the GPU to accelerate rendering but not draw it. The alt+Tab thumbnails & taskbar thumbnails in compiz had alliased fonts & curroption all over. Compiz has a long way to go to be as responsive & stable as Aero for sure.

Speed of Linux, well...it's as fast as Windows for me. I want to know how to make my system fast? Can i recompile the kernel & applications? If yes then how to

That's all I have tried so far...more to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom