Mid range PC - Budget 30-35K

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Well you can. But donot push too hard. Very small increments at a time and run a full stress test after making any change. Remember damage to your processor or Power Supply is not covered under warranty of either of them.

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
^^Thank you thetechfreak, will keep that in mind. Will proceed with extreme caution only. Thanks for your insights.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - if you are going to OC a 1090T like cpu you better get a 600W or more PSU.

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
@ topgear

Even if I don't have any other stressful components like high end graphics? I only want to overclock CPU so that it performs better with my work applications and VM environment. I am not going to play any games on PC.

Too bad I've already bought PSU. Dunno what to do now?

Edit : I've tried this calculator and used 4.1 Ghz overclock as base too, yet my recommended wattage doesn't go over 363W. So I think Corsair PSU could hold this right?

Last edited:

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
OCed Hexacore @ 3.8 GHz will draw 280W Under Load all for himself.
i.e. 65% Wattage of your PSU leaving just 150W for all other components.

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
Okay, okay. I'll try to get PSU replaced. If not possible, I'll drop the idea of overclocking for now :(

Dealer has agreed to swap the PSU. He has Corsair GS600 available in stock (for 2K more). Seasonic S12 II 620W is out of stock.

What say guys?

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
^^ Is that PSU good enough to handle any amount of overclocking load from my processor? Also can I add some high end graphics card later as well if I wish to? I now want to make sure twice before buying upgraded PSU. Is it worth to go for this now instead of waiting for Seasonic S12 II 620W to get in stock?

Thanks for bearing with me :)

SunE

Professional Newbie
Yes GS600 is capable of handling overclocks and good GPU (don't expect it to do GTX 690 SLi though). It can handle GPUs like hd 7870 and hd 7950.

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
@OP : FYI Seasonic S12 II 620W has far better build quality, similar to Corsair's TX series. It comes with a 5 year warranty too.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ topgear

Even if I don't have any other stressful components like high end graphics? I only want to overclock CPU so that it performs better with my work applications and VM environment. I am not going to play any games on PC.

Too bad I've already bought PSU. Dunno what to do now?

Edit : I've tried this calculator and used 4.1 Ghz overclock as base too, yet my recommended wattage doesn't go over 363W. So I think Corsair PSU could hold this right?

OCed Hexacore @ 3.8 GHz will draw 280W Under Load all for himself.
i.e. 65% Wattage of your PSU leaving just 150W for all other components.

this should give you guys a good idea ;-)

*i.neoseeker.com/neo_image/177583/article/amd_phenom_x6_1090t/power2.png

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
If you need to use Virtualization/VMWare 8GB RAM is minimum... else your machine will crawl, and infinite IO loops...
And you should get quad or higher cores...

Lets say you run 2 instances of Windows 7, both need 1 core each, 2gb ram each to run smooth. So 4GB Ram for guests and 2GB ram for HOST, 3 cores used. 1 core usually free.

at my workplace we allocate 8gb ram and 2 cores to each Windows 7 VM... in the vsphere cloud.

most of our machines have 8-16 cores, 24gb ram, 4tb TB raid disks....

To all the gamers.. 4gb ram is very tiny when it comes to the cloud...This not a desktop PC or Gaming PC whatsoever.. obviously no gfx card

Last edited:

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
If you need to use Virtualization/VMWare 8GB RAM is minimum... else your machine will crawl, and infinite IO loops...
And you should get quad or higher cores...

Lets say you run 2 instances of Windows 7, both need 1 core each, 2gb ram each to run smooth. So 4GB Ram for guests and 2GB ram for HOST, 3 cores used. 1 core usually free.

at my workplace we allocate 8gb ram and 2 cores to each Windows 7 VM... in the vsphere cloud.

most of our machines have 8-16 cores, 24gb ram, 4tb TB raid disks....

To all the gamers.. 4gb ram is very tiny when it comes to the cloud...This not a desktop PC or Gaming PC whatsoever.. obviously no gfx card

Sorry, didn't get your point. How will these stuff affect OP?

EDIT : Ignore this post, rechecked OP's purpose for PC.

Last edited:
OP

1manshow

Journeyman
@ a_k_s_h_a_y

I appreciate your concern. But I've already bought hexacore Phenom II 1090T and 8 GB RAM for it. Also I don't need to run those apps all the time, only for 8-10 hrs of my work time. Other time, I won't be using PC much except for watching movies, or casual gaming on Xbox. That's it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay my rig so far (some components are acquired already, some in transit) -

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T - 9160/- In transit
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - 6600/- Not shipped yet, replacement
Corsair Vengeance 1600 4GB x2 - 3300/- Got already
Zotac Geforce GT 240 1G DDR5 - 3235/- Got already
NZXT Gamma - 2600/- Got already
Seasonic S12 II 620 or Corsair GS600 - 4600/- Waiting for stock

Now I'm left with buying Monitor, CPU Cooler, UPS (I think my current UPS won't cut off with this rig), HDD (can skip if I get my friend's used hard disk).

Guys, please suggest some good monitor for 16-17K. Monitor is going to be used with PC (for HD movies and work) and Xbox 360 (for gaming) both connected to it all the time. I am confused with 24" or 27". I've heard 27" is not good if it has 1080p resolution only?:p

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
Guys, please suggest some good monitor for 16-17K. Monitor is going to be used with PC (for HD movies and work) and Xbox 360 (for gaming) both connected to it all the time. I am confused with 24" or 27". I've heard 27" is not good if it has 1080p resolution only?

Also decent non-gaming keyboard and mouse (wireless/wired), and UPS for my rig.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try to Grab an monitor with IPS panel.

Mention the budget for KB+Mouse and for UPS get APC 1.1KVA - priced between 4-5k.

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
Thanks topgear.

Budget for Monitor - 17K
Budget for KB+Mouse+Mousepad - 1.5K

Why so costly UPS? I just want the ability to protect from voltage fluctuations and backup time of 5 minutes to be able to shutdown PC safely at the time of powercut. Are there any cheaper alternatives? Also I've Intex 600VA UPS already with me, so I can put load of monitor and Xbox on it ;)

Top Bottom