Mid range PC - Budget 30-35K

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ overpriced and the cables are sleeveless too though it offers 24W more than CX430v2 it's better to stick with either cx430v2 or get CX500v2 - if you want something cheap then consider getting corsair VS450 @ 2.2k ;-)

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
Hey guys, I have got some extra funding (Rs. 3000 more) but unfortunately the processor 1070T got out of stock from flipkart :(

Now I want to decide from following options -

AMD FX 6100 Zambezi 3.3 GHz - 6 Core - 8000/-
v/s
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition - 6 Core - 8950/-

Which would overclock best and give the best performance for my needs? Or any better option than that? I don't want to spend more than 9-10K at max on processor. Sadly, now I can't go Intel way as I already got AMD motherboard :(

BTW I have bought and got these components till now -

Motherboard - Asus M5A97 - 6050/-
RAM - 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 - 3300/-
GPU - Zotac Geforce GT 240 1 GB DDR5 - 3235/-
Case - NZXT Gamma - 2600/-
PSU - Corsair CX 430 V2 - 2490/-

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
AMD 3.5 GHz AM3 Phenom II 970. With the money you save get a CM Hyper 212 Evo an OC it like hell.

Minion

Conversation Architect
RiGOD and Cilus, thank you very much for your valuable suggestions. Though I have some doubts.

How about recent APU from AMD like A6-3650? Can't it play full HD content on HD Monitors? Do I really need a discrete GPU to watch HD movies?

APU like A6 3650 will be best bet for watching movies.:| and some mild gaming.Oops you bought your motherboard go for this then AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
If you are planning to get an after market CPU cooler then I strongly suggest to get G-Skill RipjawX 1600 instead of Vengeance. The big heat sink in Vengeance is known to create problem with the placement of the CPU coolers. Beside that, Ripjaw's performance is also better.

And regarding Motherboard, get the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 motherboard at 6.6K. This baby has 8+2 phase VRM design and far better for overclocking. It is also more feature rich than the ASUS M5A97

Sorry, didn't notice you've bought all the components.

regarding selection of processor, FX 6100 is simply out of the equation due to its very poor performance. Now if you're gonna use multi-threaded apps like Audio/Video encoding apps, Photoshop etc, get 1075T or 1090T which offers better performance than FX 6100. These two hex core can also be overclocked in very high level with a decent CPU cooler. both are capable of running at 4 GHz + with Hyper 212 EVO. So gaming performance is also very good.

But if main concern is gaming then grab the Phenom II X4 970 and overclocked it like hell as RiGOD suggested.

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
AMD 3.5 GHz AM3 Phenom II 970. With the money you save get a CM Hyper 212 Evo an OC it like hell.

Thank you RiGOD, but I am not going to game using PC much. My needs are better multi-tasking and use of VMs/remote assistance tools. For gaming, I have Jtagged Xbox 360, which serves well for now.

If you are planning to get an after market CPU cooler then I strongly suggest to get G-Skill RipjawX 1600 instead of Vengeance. The big heat sink in Vengeance is known to create problem with the placement of the CPU coolers. Beside that, Ripjaw's performance is also better.

And regarding Motherboard, get the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 motherboard at 6.6K. This baby has 8+2 phase VRM design and far better for overclocking. It is also more feature rich than the ASUS M5A97

Sorry, didn't notice you've bought all the components.

regarding selection of processor, FX 6100 is simply out of the equation due to its very poor performance. Now if you're gonna use multi-threaded apps like Audio/Video encoding apps, Photoshop etc, get 1075T or 1090T which offers better performance than FX 6100. These two hex core can also be overclocked in very high level with a decent CPU cooler. both are capable of running at 4 GHz + with Hyper 212 EVO. So gaming performance is also very good.

But if main concern is gaming then grab the Phenom II X4 970 and overclocked it like hell as RiGOD suggested.

Thank you Cilus. I was suggested the M5A97 motherboard by many people in previous posts here, so I bought it :cry:. Dunno if I can ask for replacement, as I bought it from ITWares online shop.

For RAM, G.Skill was not available and it was suggested by Itwares owner Rahul that Vengeance is much better performance wise and is comparable to Sniper series than RipjawX? Also I was made convinced by him that Vengeance works fine with Hyper EVO, only one Noctua cooler (D40 or something like that) has problems with Vengeance. Should I ask for replacement if it doesn't work with any aftermarket cooler? :shock:

Ok, so back to CPU, which one would be best to plunge upon -

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - 7600/-
or
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T - 8350/-
or
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T - 8975/-

Cilus

laborare est orare
I don't think Vengeance is a problem with Hyper 212 EVO as the cooler isn't that big.
Regarding processor, if your budget permits, get the 1090T.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - I think this should help ;-)

*cdn.overclock.net/5/5d/600x450px-LL-5d644ae6_DSCN1793.jpeg

if there's ain't enough space between cpu socket and ram slots you may have to install the cooler fan like the above pic but if you have two ram modules only you can install the fan on the opposite direction too facing the ram slots like this :

*i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad144/Dream_Theaterx/20120330_175647.jpg

or the cooler can be installed like this as well ;-)

*s.lowyat.net/uploads//attach-87/post-413187-1294552726.jpg

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
I don't think Vengeance is a problem with Hyper 212 EVO as the cooler isn't that big.
Regarding processor, if your budget permits, get the 1090T.

Thanks again mate, but what I meant to ask between those processors is if paying 1.5K more worth if I get 1090T? I've heard all three of them can be overclocked till 4 GHz (that is what I'm aiming at, no more than that).

@ OP - I think this should help ;-)

Thank you topgear, will see if I need those adjustments in my case. Hope it fits fine with the RAM modules I got.:-D

Cilus

laborare est orare
All of them can be overclocked but with the Non-BE processors, you have to play with the Base clock frequecny (which is 200 MHz by default). Now the clock also drives the speed of other components like the PCI-E speed, Memory speed. Also you have to be extra careful while increasing voltae.

On the other hand, 1090T is a Black edition processor and comes with unlocked multiplier. So just increase the multiplier and you are flying.

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
Thank you very much Cilus, will now go for 1090T. I see you too use same processor. How is the performance overall? How much stable overclock you can expect with stock cooling?

Also will I be able to overclock fine with Asus M5A97? Or I must get it replaced with Gigabyte offering you suggested earlier?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
for OCing GA-970A-UD3 is better - the extra 4 power phases will come into play while OCing.

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
Okay. The dealer has agreed to swap the motherboard with GA-970A-UD3. Now I want to know, is it really worth the extra 600 Rs. or M5A97 should be good enough to let my system run better with overclocking? Do note that I don't want to create any overclocking record, just would like to get my 1090T processor clock run at 4+ GHz 24/7. Any insights? Should I go for Gigabyte or content with M5A97?

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
^^While suggesting the GA-970A-UD3 nobody here expected you to make a world record dude;). The VRM's of the same are way better than M5A97's and the extra 600 you're shelling out is really worth it. You're lucky that the dealer has agreed to exchange the same.

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
Ok. Thanks RiGOD and topgear. Will arrange for motherboard replacement. Can someone suggest me the best price for 1090T and CM Hyper Evo cooler?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1090T @ 9k ;-)
Buy AMD Phenom II Processor | AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor in India

Cm Hyper 212 Evo is ~2.2k at everywhere - only SMC may have a little cheaper price though.

OP

1manshow

Journeyman
Thank you topgear. I ordered it from Prime :)

I've read some other threads and most of the experienced members emphasized on better PSU (over 500W) if you want to go overclocking way.

I have bought low end graphics (GT 240) and I am only going to do very casual gaming on PC. Most of the times I'll watch HD movies only for entertainment, most gaming will be done on Xbox 360. So in total, I won't be stressing PSU from graphics end.

Though processor wise, I'm planning to overclock in order to squeeze in the best performance possible out of it. Now I want to ask if Corsair CX 430 V2 would cut it fine even if I do CPU overclocking?

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Though processor wise, I'm planning to overclock in order to squeeze in the best performance possible out of it. Now I want to ask if Corsair CX 430 V2 would cut it fine even if I do CPU overclocking?

Since you don't have a pow. hungry GPU, CX430 V2 will suffice..

Top Bottom