Microsoft's Desperate attempts too woo away Linux users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantanu

Technomancer
infra : have you used Google FS ? i have not .. if you also have not tested or used it, how you know its better or worse ?

Last edited:
OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
NucleusKore said:
That ad would be misleading to a novice.
And most who come in search of linux are novices in the same.

The point I made is exactly what you are saying "misleading". I and you know that it doesn't make a difference to us, but to a novice who is easy pray it certainly is misleading. This is the point that I have been making all along while one Fanboy tries to blame it on Google *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/35.gif

And if it's just a bunch of guys who are just running some startup trying to get into the market, then it's understandable if they make mistake like this and mislead people. Like the fake Nike shoes being sold by misleading. But this is a multi-billion corporation that we are talking about. They've been through so much of legal issues and it seems like either they dont' have somebody to advise them, or the entire company has decided to do this purposefully coz they know that no different companies can sue them for this kind of misleading information. They are exploiting the situation about multi community maintained Open source software. Since "Linux" is not owned by a particular company!

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i decided to not to post but now that u have again made some specifics i would like to ask specifically:

could some 1 tell me what is mis-leading in the ad :? or the link

are the freakin novices u talk of so bloody dumb that they dont know the difference between MS and linux that once following the link they will turn to Windows :? i mean whats mis-leading doesnt ur browser give u a back button

and if they are so dumb then trust me they are un-fit for linux

and could define mistake - i dont think its a mistake whats the mistake; MS guys stratigically chose keywords

vaithy

In the zone
That is very funny, the ads are appearing only if you search for Linux, and ended up to redmond's but i never experience whenever I type windows go to Linux sites

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
NucleusKore; cyrus & din & even infra for that matter said:
Search for linux and get windows, that's misleading enough.
ur talking as if there are some mis-leading facts and havnt u ever come across a search result ever in ur life where u havent found something u wanted :?

its just a freaking page that it takes u to is it so bloody damn hard for u to click back to go back ..... can u realise by reading whats on the page that its not what ur looking for :?

do a random search on google - does every search result show u what u want and what do u do when u dont find what u want ?.... i dont think u start cursing the other web sites for taking u to a different page u simply click back and choose another search result ....

just creating a hoopla ha coz ms has advertised is something that is desperate not the ad that is desperate

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
iMav said:
ur talking as if there are some mis-leading facts and havnt u ever come across a search result ever in ur life where u havent found something u wanted :?

its just a freaking page that it takes u to is it so bloody damn hard for u to click back to go back ..... can u realise by reading whats on the page that its not what ur looking for :?

do a random search on google - does every search result show u what u want and what do u do when u dont find what u want ?.... i dont think u start cursing the other web sites for taking u to a different page u simply click back and choose another search result ....

just creating a hoopla ha coz ms has advertised is something that is desperate not the ad that is desperate
iMav, I think u have lot of spare time to click on the link... read the whole page... and after finding, it's not what u r looking for, then click BACK on ur IE.. search another site... again read.... back... search another...

Is it ?? :X

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Cyrus_the_virus said:
those 2 words 'Linux' and 'versions' is the only title of that advert which is typed in by MS(or who ever put it there) and not a random coincidence.

Yup. The seach term DID NOT CONTAIN any word relating to Microsoft Servers. Just Forthcoming linux versions I don't see any Microsoft server keywords except versions. Atleast the title should have been different like Microsoft Server Versions. Beat that.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
lywyre said:
Yup. The seach term DID NOT CONTAIN any word relating to Microsoft Servers. Just Forthcoming linux versions I don't see any Microsoft server keywords except versions. Atleast the title should have been different like Microsoft Server Versions. Beat that.
can u please explain this concept to iMav ??

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
shirish_nagar said:
iMav, I think u have lot of spare time to click on the link... read the whole page... and after finding, it's not what u r looking for, then click BACK on ur IE.. search another site... again read.... back... search another...
:lol: now thats the dumbest statement iv read in some long time :lol: ..... :lol: have u ever used any internet search engine :lol: :lol: 1 does not need to go thru the entire page :lol: :lol: u cracked me up :lol: :lol:

@lywyre: thats for google o explain and not MS something iv been saying for some time ...

din

Tribal Boy
shirish_nagar said:
can u please explain this concept to iMav ??
Oh no, guys, please, please do not try that !!

We can wake up someone if hes sleeping, but it is impossible to 'wake up' someone who pretend hes sleeping !!!
gx_saurav said:
Both Winboys & Lingeeks don't know how google adwords & advertisement work.
GX, we need not be win / lin / google boys to know how google adwords works (I mean not the internals, but the process)

Small clarification for those who are still confused

The title you see in the google adwords / sponsored links / sponsored search results are set by the advertiser. And that is not fixed by google.

Read the above sentence again and decide whether to blame google for misleading titles in ads. Should we blame google for the misleading title or the advertiser ? ? ?

Or we should still ask google to explain the reason for 'misleading title' ;) ?

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
so go sue google for allowing MS to use those words .... MS chose the words google gave it to them ;)

wtf is wrong whit u man - misleading misleading misleading - they are only leading u to a page cant u click back ....

as said it is a strategically chosen key word - u should actually be blaming google for allowing MS to use the words; MS asked for the words google gave it to them - if its available y hnot take it and what is mis-leading cant u click back dont u know what is MS and what is Linux dont ur so called novices know the difference between MS and linux ... its a damn ad that goes to a page if thats not what u want click back .... havnt u ever in all ur life come across a search result which is something that u are not looking for

man is ur rationality gone for a xmas vaccation

@shantanu:

1. I said that GFS is good on google servers. We all know how fast google search is, don't we?

2. What about EXT3? you conviniently forgot it :p

3. sorry, didn't read that TOS about affirmative posts.

shantanu

Technomancer
fine , i am comparing a USER FS not **server FS , i only wanted to ask that whether Google FS is publicly used by people ? if no , then whats the point in comparing it with NTFS. M$ is also working on EXFAT and some other FS. ( just to remind, if you guys dont know or forgot.)

** NTFS is used in both PC and servers, but GFS is used only in Google servers, its like comparing your Tread mill with a HONDA Fireblade .

anything so less used and server specefic, can always be better because it is not widely used and bugs are also limited and confidential.. who knows what goes on inside google.. it wont be ever leaked out..

Last edited:
OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
iMav said:
so go sue google for allowing MS to use those words .... MS chose the words google gave it to them ;)
*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif

Stupidity at it's best. Please don't say cr@p when you really have no idea how google adwords works..

lywyre said:
Atleast the title should have been different like Microsoft Server Versions. Beat that.
Exactly, it's not just about the search. It's about the title. It's misleading in a way that it suggest you that the link gives you more information about Linux while they are just promoting their product and showing linux is bad at the cost of the Linux title.

Winboys, get this into your head. We are not talking about how google search works. It's about the title of the advert which also relates to the search words used. There is no problem in a windows ad coming up in a serch result based on the keywords used in the search, but the problem here is that the advert is disguising itself to be some useful information about Linux while it's absolutely the other way round. That is what is misleading. Not the search result Winboys! *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/30.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom