Microsoft's Desperate attempts too woo away Linux users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
They are random

here are 3 different search results of the same phrase the 1 u used -

*img147.imageshack.us/img147/7241/66723177pe9.th.jpg

*img85.imageshack.us/img85/7238/48684389bm6.th.jpg

*img139.imageshack.us/img139/9830/27690634lz0.th.jpg

*img139.imageshack.us/img139/1719/42327574vz7.th.jpg

as u see the sponsored links are random - as i said iv been in talks with google for keyword based advrt for my company ;) so please as i have told u earlier keep ur FUD for ur kids and not for us :)

and i find nothing wrong in MS choosing linux as a keyword for a page where they are talking about linux maybe u do :)

MetalheadGautham said:
I know M$ paid for that ad, but google has nothing against linux.
its under sponsored so isnt it obvious :rolleyes:

shantanu

Technomancer
ads are different and a proper OS is different, Linux maintains its positions, so does windows. the only thing is that in a business the management and PR and other ways of pushing your product are undertaken. i read many times in PCworld, PC quest or chip or maybe digit too.. Linux server are better.. this is how.. and many company CEOs state that as true.. so what is the sense.. ! does it make lin servers better.. or when Microsoft gives such ads, would it make M$ servers better.. i dont think so.

the only thing is the utility, where you can imply M$ and where lin.. its on your usage and your demand.

when guys come to complete bashing without even confirming the current stats and real life proofs, it becomes BS. so guys keep on facts and dont just go for windows to be bad.

to the guy stating NTFS as bad : what you know about NTFS.. ?
and a fact is that : NTFS is used by million or trillions of comp. users , where is google file system used ? only in google .. is that a joke ? how can you even compare a filesystem so unpopular and only for google servers to a vast and updated or day by day updating file system.

the only thing i want to say is that keep yourself on track and stick to facts rather than start basing only seeing windows as title.

and metalheadgautam: you can be banned for spamming the forums by these statements.. read forum rules.. affirmation post is not allowed.. if you something relavent to say then its ok, else dont type unnecessary..

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Hmmm... This does say in loud that MS is now very very concerned about their market share in almost every segment of users!!

shantanu said:
to the guy stating NTFS as bad : what you know about NTFS.. ?
and a fact is that : NTFS is used by million or trillions of comp. users , where is google file system used ? only in google .. is that a joke ? how can you even compare a filesystem so unpopular and only for google servers to a vast and updated or day by day updating file system.
Poplularity of any entity doesn't make it better or worse than unpopular ones :)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
^^Yes, but to be better they have to come in comparison on the same grounds which has not yet happened in Google FS and NTFS.

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
shantanu said:
ads are different and a proper OS is different, Linux maintains its positions, so does wind
.or spamming the forums by these statements.. read forum rules.. affirmation post is not allowed.. if you something relavent to say then its ok, else dont type unnecessary..
I nor anyone said that this proves or makes any product superior or inferior to anything. The discussion so far I believe has only been about advertising ethics. That's all... and I hope everyone just keeps it to that..

BTW, I don't understand why any comments in the chit chat section would be considered as spam.. unless it's offensive.. I thought the section was about bandwidth wastage *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/7.gif

iMav said:
They are random

here are 3 different search results of the same phrase the 1 u used -

as u see the sponsored links are random - as i said iv been in talks with google for keyword based advrt for my company so please as i have told u earlier keep ur FUD for ur kids and not for us

and i find nothing wrong in MS choosing linux as a keyword for a page where they are talking about linux maybe u do

its under sponsored so isnt it obvious
Forget it dude, seems like you got a Vista UAC prompt in your brain which is not letting you write information onto your brain at all and only read operation is being performed and also can't remember what you yourself told... *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/43.gif

First you say that the heading 'Linux Version' is from the headers of the page which was cr@p and then when you ate your own words you started telling that the sponsored links are random, which doesn't matter when we are talking about the heading to disguise penetration into the market. So stop your technicality issues and go learn some basic adwords posting techniques or atleast learn to stick to the point when we are talking about the advertisement in question and not about search results!!

I think you should go back to post #10 and read it carefully again and if you still want to argue, I'll just believe that the last line in the second last para holds true.*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/21.gif

BTW, I wonder why I keep getting the same sponsored links for the same keyword search:rolleyes: Anyways, that has nothing to do with the actual advertisement in question.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Cyrus_the_virus said:
First you say that the heading 'Linux Version' is from the headers of the page which was cr@p and then when you ate your own words you started telling that the sponsored links are random,
ah so here is the mis-communication i didnt mean it that way what i meant was that version is the keyword picked up by google - as in MS mustv given linux versions and the forthcoming versions word was what brought that sponsored link ;) again its Google's algo and not MS
Cyrus_the_virus said:
which doesn't matter when we are talking about the heading to disguise penetration into the market. So stop your technicality issues and go learn some basic adwords posting techniques or atleast learn to stick to the point when we are talking about the advertisement in question and not about search results!!
again my friend the ad is only directing to a page where what is posted is about linux and is compared to windows :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
....friend the ad is only directing to a page where what is posted is about linux and is compared to windows :)
If I get it right, then this is exactly what he wants to say. He'd given a good example regarding soft drinks. Whats happenins is this:

I search for "Coca Cola", the Ad on the right says "Coca Cola versions". When I click on it, I go to a page on Pepsi's Website which compares Coca Cola and Pepsi and says Pepsi is better than Coca Cola. Hope I understood it correctly! If so then this is surely wrong!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
arre mere tau pichle page pe screen shots diye hain maine .... honda ki search pe chevrolet; iphone ki search pe SE ;) companies do that what is wrong in showing a page where ur comparing ur product with another 1 its google's algo mere baap google's algo

if MS would have wanted to put their ads on Linux search results i wonder why is it not appearing when i search for linux

ok try this remnove the word versions from ur search criteria and see what happens :x

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
infra_red_dude said:
If I get it right, then this is exactly what he wants to say. He'd given a good example regarding soft drinks. Whats happenins is this:

I search for "Coca Cola", the Ad on the right says "Coca Cola versions". When I click on it, I go to a page on Pepsi's Website which compares Coca Cola and Pepsi and says Pepsi is better than Coca Cola. Hope I understood it correctly! If so then this is surely wrong!
Exactly what I meant.

There is nothing wrong in comparing, but when that is what is advertised inside another market is where the problem is. There is enough comparison between products, but when have you ever seen an advertisement using another products name inorder to pull users into it. You don't because that is the basic ethics of advertising.

infra_red_dude said:
^^^ You do not seem to comprehend what I said.
Forget it yaar, he's still got the UAC prompt which i was talking about *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/3.gif

He's still talking about how search results work on keywords when we are talking about the particular advert :rolleyes:

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
u find it wrong i dont ... there are many search results i have come across thousands of such results which are similar; the highlighted part is something and what is on the page is something else :) as i said try ur same search without versions

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I did some searches and that link comes up when the search phrase is: <distro> upcoming versions or <distro> versions

where <distro> is the Linux distro (popular ones like ubuntu, opensuse, fedora etc. or just even Linux!).

So yes, I do see that MS is worried!!!

din

Tribal Boy
@Cyrus_the_virus & @infra_red_dude

You know iMav better than me !! He know what you both are trying to explain. But he pretend he do not know. I was going through a lot of threads/posts by him and I confirmed that. That is his style. No, this is not a personal attack. Anand's thread is a classic example. Anand done a mistake and iMav was like - all others including myself and drdrudge done something wrong .lol. Evenafter FatBeing explained it very well (which is exactly same as posts by drgrudge and me) he still pretended he didn't get it !!!

shantanu said:
when Microsoft gives such ads, would it make M$ servers better.. i dont think so
Exactly. That is what I said, the ad sounds more funny lol.

Cyrus_the_virus said:
lol.. dude, you don't get it do you? *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/21.gifDid you notice what Microsoft's Advert Headline is? It's Linux Versions!
Now, if you're trying to compare that with what your search tries to prove, Niether have chevrolet said in their heading 'get a honda car here' nor have sonyericsson said, 'get an iPhone here'! Make sure you're not drunk the next time you're making such comparisons.*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/35.gif

infra_red_dude said:
^^^ You do not seem to comprehend what I said.

I am 101% sure that iMav will post again telling he didn't understand it, he is confused, MS is doing the same thing others doing etc etc ..

As you see if someone do not understand something, we can sure help em by explaining, but when they pretend .. oh well, we can't do anything :(

Last edited:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Actually it shoud have been Linux Distributions instead of Linux Versions. To be very frank, I think that the only location where human fault or controlled in this process is the work done by Google's Ad words representatives. Now one of my ex classmates is working as Adwords rep and considering that her tech knowledge was not 'should i say... excellent' I think we are fighting about two aspects while the cause lies somewhere else.

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
kumarmohit said:
Actually it shoud have been Linux Distributions instead of Linux Versions. To be very frank, I think that the only location where human fault or controlled in this process is the work done by Google's Ad words representatives. Now one of my ex classmates is working as Adwords rep and considering that her tech knowledge was not 'should i say... excellent' I think we are fighting about two aspects while the cause lies somewhere else.

I think you need to go through the posts again if you still think that this has anything to do with google. The Adwords Headings are not RANDOM! It will be exactly the same and will never change from what the advertising client has supplied. So, when you advertise, if you write, 'Linux Versions' It will always be linux versions on all the searches regardless of what is there on that page or what the headers of that page or website has. It's not something that the search engine creates randomly, it's a client supplied heading which in this case seems to be MS. :rolleyes:

vaithy

In the zone
Well...what is the fight about... three years ago when I don't know anything about linux, I asked a friend, he told me to googled it..so I go to some linux site.. there one of the biggest titled,'LINUX REFERENCE CENTRE' clicked it... directly fell to the redmond site.. and learnt how MS WINDOWS beat Linux and all related stories...very funny ..after return to the Linux site I wrote a comment, you propose linux, but allow MS advertise here..you are fake linux site'.. I received a email from one of them,' thank you, we survive because of them and your contribution'
Same Linux reference centre' is still there.. they get more money from redmond then the contribution from the people like us..So why not we see positive point? Redmond is pumping money for Linux cause ?

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
vaithy said:
So why not we see positive point? Redmond is pumping money for Linux cause ?

That can be the case when ads are being hosted on a particular site, it does bring in revenue. But the case here is different. Please don't just read the first and last post coz if you read the entire thing, you would know what we are talking abt. If you did understand, please do explain it to @iMeov *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/3.gif

mediator

Technomancer
Wth, this thread seems to be more of an aptitude benchmark for various users than being an MS related thread! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom