microsoft and IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyber

my name defines me
well guys what do u think of the latest rule that microsoft should not add internet explorer to its installation package(os).:-(

my view
i think this rule was not right as microsoft has also given the right to users to uninstall it an install new browsers.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
I don't read newspaper these days.. anyway.. watch all the 5 parts....

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuCDyp-0GG4

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
my view
i think this rule was not right as microsoft has also given the right to users to uninstall it an install new browsers.
Is that so? In that case they should get the priviledge of bundling IE. After all Apple also bundle Safari and Linux distros bundle Firefox/Konqueror/Epiphany.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Baffling.

It's not as if Windows doesn't allow a user to install any other browser. Suppose the next version of Windows doesn't have an inbuilt browser. So WTF is a user gonna do if he wants to go online as soon as he installs a fresh copy of the OS? Install IE from the setup disk? Or go and download Firefox? Oops, he can't download Firefox coz there's no browser bundled this time. I suppose next they'll tell MS to ship the setup package for the latest version of FF too.

Choices. We just love them.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Soon there will be news that "Microsoft should not provide WMP with windows".
This is stupid.
In European Union , microsoft cannot bundle WMP..

Windows XP Edition N

In March 2004, the European Commission fined Microsoft €497 million (£395 million or US$784 million) and ordered the company to provide a version of Windows without Windows Media Player. The Commission concluded that Microsoft "broke European Union competition law by leveraging its near monopoly in the market for PC operating systems onto the markets for work group server operating systems and for media players". After unsuccessful appeals in 2004 and 2005, Microsoft reached an agreement with the Commission where it would release a court-compliant version, Windows XP Edition N. This version does not include the company's Windows Media Player but instead encourages users to pick and download their own media player. Microsoft wanted to call this version Reduced Media Edition, but EU regulators objected and suggested the Edition N name, with the N signifying "not with Media Player"[citation needed] for both Home and Professional editions of Windows XP. Because it is sold at the same price as the version with Windows Media Player included, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo and Fujitsu Siemens have chosen not to stock the product. However, Dell did offer the operating system for a short time. Consumer interest has been low, with roughly 1,500 units shipped to OEMs, and no reported sales to consumers.[5][6][7][8]

The N editions of Windows XP also do not include Windows Movie Maker, but Microsoft has made this available as a separate download
Source

chooza

Journeyman
This shows, how the whole world is biased. When, one company is allowed to bundle a whole Office package and a world of softwares packages, games, n number of media players. with its OS and another can make exclusivity with its media players and software. These things are beyond the scope of understanding. It again proves the point that people earns from Microsoft either by loving it or by hating it.:mad:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
This shows, how the whole world is biased. When, one company is allowed to bundle a whole Office package and a world of softwares packages, games, n number of media players. with its OS and another can make exclusivity with its media players and software. These things are beyond the scope of understanding. It again proves the point that people earns from Microsoft either by loving it or by hating it.:mad:

if you mean linux distro's, they actually bundle third party tools with their packs, which is why they are not booked.

Anyways, you know how those idiots at EU are like. Let them install windows without browser and then run to magazine stands to find magazine with free dvd (with browser softwares in it). Chicken brained zombies.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
if you mean linux distro's, they actually bundle third party tools with their packs, which is why they are not booked.

Anyways, you know how those idiots at EU are like. Let them install windows without browser and then run to magazine stands to find magazine with free dvd (with browser softwares in it). Chicken brained zombies.

And most of the DVD's autorun a Browser Interface. Even Digits' Interface is dependent on IE. The newbies wont be able to figure out that they have to browse the CD.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Although it is a seriously wrong decision, the frontend can indeed be removed.

The trident rendering engine is an integral part of the Operating System'S UI, just like Gecko is of GNome,Webkit of Mac OS & KHTML of KDE. It cannot be removed at all as the OS needs a HTML engine to work even if it doesn't have a browser.

EU wants complete removal of IE Engine from Windows, if Microsoft does that then Windows's UI & functionality will seize to exist the way we see it today. However, if MS is indeed forced to do it somehow then Apple should be forced to remove Webkit & KDE remove KHTML etc too, after all they are also working on the the same concept of giving a HTML engine by default & then installng what ever browser U want seperately.

Lingeeks & Macboys say that they can easily remove Safari & Firefox from there Linux/Mac OS. Well, try removing the software & then every library/dll/bin which belongs to the HTML engine & let me know if the OS runs. If it does runs then I agree, Trident should be removed from Windows internals.

There is one solution though. Let the Trident Engine stay where it is but after installation or first boot of a retail package, give a link in Welcome Center of Windows 7 to select the browser you want. This can work without needing a brower preinstalled but just the browser engine.

Flake

Linux User
gxsaurav said:
Lingeeks & Macboys say that they can easily remove Safari & Firefox from there Linux/Mac OS. Well, try removing the software & then every library/dll/bin which belongs to the HTML engine & let me know if the OS runs. If it does runs then I agree, Trident should be removed from Windows internals.
All Linux distros work pretty fine without FireFox or any other web browser and one can easily uninstall browser without affecting OS. Two of my Debian servers don't have any Web Browser. Base packages of Debian NetInstall don't have any browser by default and OS works fine. I have installed GUI in one of my server too and again, I didn't install any Web Browser.

OP
cyber

cyber

my name defines me
this was actually done(removing ie)because opera had filed a complaint.

source:newspaper and *www.engadget.com/2007/12/13/opera-files-eu-antitrust-suit-against-microsoft-for-bundling-ie/

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
dude. you didn't get the question. the question is not removing only the browser. It is about removing everything related to HTML engine. That, my friend, you should never do!!!

If MS removed IE completely from euro edition of windows, the way to get a browser is

1) connect to internet
2) start windows update
3) install IE browser
4) download other browser software from net
5) install preferred browser
6) uninstall IE

Instead, just keep IE there in windows. Let it sleep in one corner. use it once to download a browser you want and then put it to sleep for ever.

Don't understand why those "monkey-brains-in-chicken-heads" can't think straight.

this was actually done(removing ie)because opera had filed a complaint.

source:newspaper and *www.engadget.com/2007/12/13/opera-files-eu-antitrust-suit-against-microsoft-for-bundling-ie/

What opera says is that MS have to either remove IE or provide second browser. Are they digging their own grave?? If MS, by any chance, distributes Chrome or any browser other than Opera, that would spell trouble coz their market share will fall much lower. And they will follow Netscape to ....

PS: MS can play safe if they bundle safari with windows. Who the heck will use Safari :)

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Personally I feel MS should be allowed to bundle IE, but IE should be made a standards compliant browser totally, just like Opera 10 Alpha (it gave 100/100 in Acid3 test :)).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom