Lumia 800 - To be or ...

shashankm

I reign hell..
Hi guys,
I am looking forward to have a phone which can let me edit documents, use gmail extensively, allow office outlook on it and such official features.

I have my eyes set on this beauty since its launch. Though the price at that time was impediment but now seeing the 21-22K price tag, I think its worth it. however few questions, for which I need your advice.

1. DKR (Dark Knight Edition) - Is it worth it? Can't I get that apps, wallpapers, trailers and crap downloaded content and buy back panel (batman sign etched) for few bucks rather than spending alomst 25K for a phone with no different specs?

2. Can I expect another price drop in say 1-2 months in current prices, given lumia 900 is nearing and W8 can be previewed /unveiled anytime?

I have studied deep enough weighing pros cons against android/iOS et al and believe me, I feel its worth it.

Need your advice, good one ;)

Thanks
Shashank

Empirial

Youngling
See all current Windows Phones will not be upgraded to WP8 Os that's why spending 20k+ on current WP7.5 phones doesn't make sense. I suggest you to buy either Samsung Omnia W or Nokia 710 for now & wait till Q1-Q2 of 2013 bcoz at that time you will be able buy this years soon to be released WP8 flagships at much lower price.

OP
S

shashankm

I reign hell..
If buying lumia 800 coz of pending Wp8 update doesn't makes sense then what special does Omnia W has that it can be bought even though platforms are same?

Need a phone in 1-2 months can't wait the heck out of this year (who knows when it may end ;) )

Empirial

Youngling
You didn't got my point. All current WP7.5 devices available are same in terms of specs, only Display Type, Internal Memory & Design is different. I'm just trying to say that for the timing you buy a Samsung Omnia W or Nokia 710 & save some cash. By next year you'll see lots of WP8 devices in the market so then you sell your current WP & buy newer version.

OP
S

shashankm

I reign hell..
Thanks for elaborating. Cash isn't an issue.
See, I have studied specs and everything quite deep. Lumia 800 seems equipped enough even if there might be contenders out there better than it. But its more of a heart matter than mind. I usually buy phones for ~2 years. So you can safely assume that my next buy would be in 2014 :)
W8 doesn't seems to excite me much, got its consumer preview installed, it was okaish..no expectations from mobile version..dunno why?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Thanks for elaborating. Cash isn't an issue.
See, I have studied specs and everything quite deep. Lumia 800 seems equipped enough even if there might be contenders out there better than it. But its more of a heart matter than mind. I usually buy phones for ~2 years. So you can safely assume that my next buy would be in 2014 :)
W8 doesn't seems to excite me much, got its consumer preview installed, it was okaish..no expectations from mobile version..dunno why?

Windows Phone 7.5 has serious multitasking issues. Many important apps are not available, and those that are don't run well in the background... Mainly affected are IM and VOIP apps like Whatsapp, Tango, Skype...

If you can wait for 2 months, you should... and get a decent Android phone at that time... Expect a good release of ICS phones in the Indian markets very soon...

OP
S

shashankm

I reign hell..
Blackberry will serve your purpose pretty good.
And BTW why are you not looking for android phone.
Blackberry - Used and thrown. No plans to go back.
Android - Never excites me, dumb interface, cheap applications (Heck even I developed an application, though not a rambunctious one but still that was reminiscent of 486 era games with limited controls), people actually sway by multi million application market of Android, which is true but then isn't more than 60% of them is full of dirt? I am not a troll looking forward to start OS war here but just my own views. If some one can enlighten me about vindication of Android OS over others I may well upgrade to adv. Android ICS phone as well.

Windows Phone 7.5 has serious multitasking issues. Many important apps are not available, and those that are don't run well in the background... Mainly affected are IM and VOIP apps like Whatsapp, Tango, Skype...
If you can wait for 2 months, you should... and get a decent Android phone at that time... Expect a good release of ICS phones in the Indian markets very soon...
No need to wait for 2 months, there are still 'decent' android phones in market, other than lumia 800 I am eyeing Motorola RAZR Maxx or Xperia S. But WP7.5 has got the slickest interface I've ever seen with zero lags and its shockingly fast. I am used to lags in my applications (a cheap 7K sammy duos :p), games, hang ups and it was no better in xperia sola borrowed from a friend, 3-4 heavy duty native applications at one go and it was all it needed to squat down (though never tried this in lumia, no idea what it'll do!). Yeah multitasking takes more twisted grey cells to set in but its a flaw anyways.
If u r still interested I m ready to sell my 5 months old omnia w @ 7k
Naah not looking for second hand phone.thanks anyway! :)

EDIT: And oh yeah, some dumb features which are present in Lumia 800 but aren't visible in 2K phones. Goodness, read that 101 thingy, few of them may be farce but I believe not all!

SunE

Professional Newbie
Get the Galaxy Nexus and update it to 4.1. Project Butter will make you forget the term lag!

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
@OP, current gen WP7.5 devices (including the beautiful Lumia 800) are outdated hardware. Games don't run on them (there aren't many in the first place). I have personally tested Need for Speed and Fruit Ninja on my sister's Samsung Focus. Graphics performance is comparable to a cheap 10k Android phone...

If you really want a Windows phone only, wait till October for WP8... I wouldn't recommend WP7 at all...

Riddick_RJ

Right off the assembly line
@OP, current gen WP7.5 devices (including the beautiful Lumia 800) are outdated hardware. Games don't run on them (there aren't many in the first place). I have personally tested Need for Speed and Fruit Ninja on my sister's Samsung Focus. Graphics performance is comparable to a cheap 10k Android phone...

If you really want a Windows phone only, wait till October for WP8... I wouldn't recommend WP7 at all...

ohh come on...games don't run on them?
Being true to your username is one thing, and posting baseless accusations is another.
The only reason not to recommend windows phone now is the lack of support for WP 8 on present models.
Geez really, I have been following the forum for quite some time now, and it's the same users bellowing out the same suggestions on every thread; buy a One V, buy a Neo V, buy a Sola, buy a LWW etc etc. Apart from the 400000 apps thats missing on Windows marketplace, the omnia W is every bit competitive in terms of performance with the above mentioned.(haven't checked the dual-core sola though, so I'll reserve my comment on that)
And I again say, utter rubbish is the allegation that games don't run on Windows Phone (Not even fruit ninjas, really??). Give it a break mate.

I repeat, the only thing that's bothering about WP is the unavailability of WP 8 features on the lumias and omnias. Otherwise, there's absolutely no reason not to consider the windows phone as a serious option.

1st post on THIS forum, sorry for the harsh tone.

OP
S

shashankm

I reign hell..
Like I said I will wait till october after which I will pick either razr maxx or any other promising launch from Android sphere, I sincerely hope its not another pretentious S3 with a price tag so high that my cap may fall off my head while trying to look on to it!!!!

It all loops back to waiting...

red dragon

Master troll
^^Why not Lumia 800?
It will take care of all your requirements and a few more!
Is your usage pattern going to change with release of WP8?
If not,why bother with it!?
Except a very few phone,Android is still extremely laggy and full of bugs.
Anyone who says or thinks phones like Neo V,One V etc are smooth,does not have a clue about how smooth a mobile os can be!
No! Not talking bout ios here!

OP
S

shashankm

I reign hell..
I too am thinking on the same lines, moreover I fell in love with lumia 800 first time I saw it and used it. It was an eyegasm to be precise!

The feel, look, slick OS all made me cringo weak in knees albeit seeing the price tag in Jan I stood up back again. But now it seems as the rational choice!

EDIT: Guys no body seems to be interested in answering the DKR content and app related answer (thats a polite way of putting, no body knows $hit! :p)

SunE

Professional Newbie
You can buy the TDKR edition if you want to(I know I would). You cannot get a separate back panel as the 800 has a polycarbonate uni-body design which means that the back cover is non removable.

Just cause people didn't answer to a few of your queries doesn't mean that the don't know sh!t. Hell I just chose to ignore it :p

OP
S

shashankm

I reign hell..
You can buy the TDKR edition if you want to(I know I would). You cannot get a separate back panel as the 800 has a polycarbonate uni-body design which means that the back cover is non removable....
Bud, I meant whether I can but DKR apps and content just like DKR edition because this DKR hoopla isn't forever, it will die one day and then there would be options for customization.

...Just cause people didn't answer to a few of your queries doesn't mean that the don't know sh!t. Hell I just chose to ignore it :p
You knew some huge kicks were intended right?

ohh come on...games don't run on them?
Being true to your username is one thing, and posting baseless accusations is another.
The only reason not to recommend windows phone now is the lack of support for WP 8 on present models.
Geez really, I have been following the forum for quite some time now, and it's the same users bellowing out the same suggestions on every thread; buy a One V, buy a Neo V, buy a Sola, buy a LWW etc etc. Apart from the 400000 apps thats missing on Windows marketplace, the omnia W is every bit competitive in terms of performance with the above mentioned.(haven't checked the dual-core sola though, so I'll reserve my comment on that)
And I again say, utter rubbish is the allegation that games don't run on Windows Phone (Not even fruit ninjas, really??). Give it a break mate.

I repeat, the only thing that's bothering about WP is the unavailability of WP 8 features on the lumias and omnias. Otherwise, there's absolutely no reason not to consider the windows phone as a serious option.

1st post on THIS forum, sorry for the harsh tone.

Holy Mollies! How could I miss this post!! Great post mate, your points are valid and yup I too saw fruit ninja running flawlessely on YT. Cheers buddy, there are Android fans, Apple Fans there are Windows Fans! all of them have their own prejudices why not to go for another OS even when they know they aren't getting crap out of it.

high time android/ios fans un-slumber and actually sense something around them
EDIT: UPDATE:
OK GUYS, I AM SHOUTING NOW SO LISTEN...

Lumia 800 brand new for sale at 16K, its a sealed box imported unlocked UK edition.
Is it good? Should I go ahead with it? Do reply its urgent!

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Lumia 800 brand new for sale at 16K, its a sealed box imported unlocked UK edition.
Is it good? Should I go ahead with it? Do reply its urgent!

Are you not bothered by the lack of warranty / repair support here in India? What if it goes kaput? Consider that you plan on keeping it for 2 years (a long time in the life of a mobile phone)

Top Bottom