Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
Make sure to get important updates (like extras+info) from store right after the Amber update.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Guys, what your extras + info, software release show?

Seems i didn't get the Amber update yesterday. Just some firmware updates..
My firmware still starts with 1XXX.XXXX.XXXX.XXXX..

As per wpcentral, GDR2+Amber update starts with 3XXX.. :(

rdx_halo

In the zone
Got my amber update yesterday ..................................:lol::-o:razz:

Flip to silence and radio is working perfectly. I will post some screen shots in evening.

now waiting for GDR 3 which is being tested in India, should release by December.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Make sure to get important updates (like extras+info) from store right after the Amber update.

could you please point out the imp. updates?

BTW I updated my phone to Amber, took almost 2 hrs 10 mins on 752 kbps speed. Noticed slight increase in the memory, earlier it was 1.86GB & after update 1.92 GB free.

Still Few cons for me...
1.No Alarm when Switched off the phone.
2. No Equalizer setting for music player.
3. Cannot directly close any background app by long pressing Back key.

Can anyone suggest some good music player with Equalizer Settings?

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Seems, am yet to get the update.. :(
wp_ss_20130925_0002.jpg
Anybody in chennai got the amber for 520?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
could you please point out the imp. updates?

BTW I updated my phone to Amber, took almost 2 hrs 10 mins on 752 kbps speed. Noticed slight increase in the memory, earlier it was 1.86GB & after update 1.92 GB free.

Still Few cons for me...
1.No Alarm when Switched off the phone.
2. No Equalizer setting for music player.
3. Cannot directly close any background app by long pressing Back key.

Can anyone suggest some good music player with Equalizer Settings?

Those were never meant to come in this update. And 3 is a design change, rumored to come as "double tap to exit app" in the blue update due late february and close from the multitasking menu in the GDR3 (Bittersweet Shimmer).

And probably the music equalizer will never come to the l520, being limited to the L620 and higher models.

Just updated my phone. Datasense, color profiles, call/sms blocker, flip to silence and hopefully the others fix (got back some 200mb by the looks of it). Pretty decent update for me considering the L520 is the lowermost tier phone :)

Last edited:
OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Seems i've to wait for Amber.
Coz the settings > phone update says "Your phone is up to date" :lol:

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Those were never meant to come in this update. And 3 is a design change, rumored to come as "double tap to exit app" in the blue update due late february and close from the multitasking menu in the GDR3 (Bittersweet Shimmer).

And probably the music equalizer will never come to the l520, being limited to the L620 and higher models.

Just updated my phone. Datasense, color profiles, call/sms blocker, flip to silence and hopefully the others fix (got back some 200mb by the looks of it). Pretty decent update for me considering the L520 is the lowermost tier phone :)

No Doubts, its very decent update.
MS has to work on minor probs. like alarm when switched off, directly closing any background app etc.

Finally we need some very good third party Music app something like poweramp in Android.

Last edited:

amitava82

MMO Addict
I thought 520 does not have FM Radio but this chart says otherwise
*allaboutwindowsphone.com/images/flow/misc/1ambergrid.png

Also, is it going to get next windows phone 8.1 update? I'm considering buying it. I really don't need high end phone and I like the look of 520 than 720.

Another quick question, will I be able to sync my gmail and google contacts with WP like Android? I did check official Q&A and it says I can but I read on this thread that I have to setup forward rule in gmail to outlook

Last edited:
OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
^ Yes correct. FM is not in L520 by default. You've to update to "Lumia Amber update" to get the FM radio and other features listed in the table you shared.
In current gen lumias, only L620 & L928 lack the FM radio coz of the absence of FM transmitter in them.

LegendKiller

In the zone
can anybody tell me how to connect l520 to pc? i own a android and never had any problems connecting to the pc. but neither the windows phone app nor the ovi suite detect l520.

Also is there any way i could update to amber via pc?

reniarahim1

Youngling
Just need to connect the phone through USB, the phone and sd memory will be detected in mass storage mode and will be showing up in my computer.

For updating to amber via pc you need to download Nokia NSU software.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
can anybody tell me how to connect l520 to pc? i own a android and never had any problems connecting to the pc. but neither the windows phone app nor the ovi suite detect l520.

Remove both of those apps and then try. USB devices like the L520 dont need apps to be detected.

Also, do you have a net connection ?
If yes, leave the option to download drivers from the net ON. Not sure where is that setting on the PC though.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed

Nokia Ovi suit won't detect Lumia's and its for low-end Nokias.
Which OS you're using? If you're using XP, L520 won't get detected as 'Camera' i guess, but it won't be of no use.
Win7 and Win8 will automatically detect and show it as a mass storage. If it's not showing, then there's error with your MTP USB device driver in your OS. The only solution is to reinstall the OS..

Are you getting any error message?

OK ordered one for 8k from Tradus.
Welcome to the Club. :thumbs:

I still didn't get the Lumia Amber update. :(
Anybody in Chennai got update for their L520?

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
OK ordered one for 8k from Tradus.

That's a gr8 pricing.

welcome to club Lumia 520.
Being hardcore android fan I never considered this option untill I saw one in action & experienced.
Below 10k its the best smartphone if you are not into gaming.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
For those, who complaint about gaming - Just try this 20MB game "Group Play Drag Racing".
I was amazed to see the 3D gameplay. :D

Top Bottom