Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

Flash

Lost in speed
Lumia 52X : Discussion thread

Lumia 520 - The most affordable Nokia Windows Phone

Powered by Windows Phone 8, the Nokia Lumia 520 comes with exclusive digital lenses, a 1GHz dual core processor, 512 MB RAM and a touchscreen that even works with long finger nails or gloves. Nokia finally won a sub-10k market (atleast for now) with Lumia 520.

*cdn.wpcentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/postimages/2013/05/lumia520reviewspecs.jpg

Threads you might also like:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/151948-windows-phone-thread.html
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/122921-official-android-discussion-thread.html
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/96554-official-ios-devices-thread.html
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/173439-must-have-apps-games-windows-phone.html

L520 users, lets roll on!!

Request: Added a poll for easy-tracking of L520 brotherhood.

Last edited:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
The first thing anyone with a new 520 should do is visit this awesome post by Gearbox

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/173439-must-have-apps-games-windows-phone.html#post1897480

Repeating this, and dedicating a full post as I dont wish anybody to miss his effort and waste time asking around the same question again and again.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
With more and more people interested in this device, It does desrve a seperate thread.

@Gearbox: A list of digitians who own L520 will be nice. So that those who want to buy this device can seek their help.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
@Pranav: have to update some apps in that thread. Will do it this weekend :thumbs:
@Shah: Will add it.. :thumbs:

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
My friend just bought it few days ago from flipkart.It too had camera key issue too hard then he sent it to nokia centre to fix it was fixed i used the phone and personally didnt liked much it has good homescreen but menu is not just basic its smooth i agree with that but too booring to use after sometime.I am still using nokia 5230 symbian still i like mine...

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
Ronnie11 is gettting 1 day and 10 hours of battery life. Mine barely lasts 8 hours. I use Internet constantly. Mainly Twitter, Whatsapp and a News app. Turn it off occasionally. Maybe I need to get it checked?

@Ronnie11 You got it recently right? How long have you been using it?

Here's one more problem I am facing. If I change the Data type to Edge, internet stops working. Works only when I set it to 3G. However, I get 2G speed. Maybe because the Data pack I've recharged with is 2G? Dunno.

One a side note, Google Maps is much much better than HERE Maps.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Ronnie11 is gettting 1 day and 10 hours of battery life. Mine barely lasts 8 hours. I use Internet constantly. Mainly Twitter, Whatsapp and a News app. Turn it off occasionally. Maybe I need to get it checked?

@Ronnie11 You got it recently right? How long have you been using it?

Here's one more problem I am facing. If I change the Data type to Edge, internet stops working. Works only when I set it to 3G. However, I get 2G speed. Maybe because the Data pack I've recharged with is 2G? Dunno.

One a side note, Google Maps is much much better than HERE Maps.

Have you used android phones, how long do they last ith similar usage?
Just asking so as to know if something is really wrong with your phone.

If you have recharged to 2G, surely you are gonna get only 2G speeds. I am not sure why it goes dead when set to EDGE. But if you have recharged only for 2G, then set the mode to 2G if you have it, 3G is a known battery hog and your phone wil be constantly trying to access the 3G network and fail 'registration'. This endless cycle of failed registrations can contribute significantly to battery consumption. Basically, Set your network mode to 2G.

While I agree that deatil-wise Nokia maps is no match for Google maps, I have found the offline mode to be very useful. It can even reroute offline, something Google maps doesnt AFAIK and is a lifesaver. Also it has neat touches like locating the ATMs, bathrooms, stores inside malls and that a very neat touch. Check em out. Also check out livesight mode, its a head turner if nothing else :D :)

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
Using the phone without internet today. Lets see how long it lasts.

Wasn't aware that I can reroute offline. This is awesome :D Unlike other phones, the GPS locks very quickly.

Some Camera pictures here imgur: the simple image sharer

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Using the phone without internet today. Lets see how long it lasts.
Wasn't aware that I can reroute offline. This is awesome :D Unlike other phones, the GPS locks very quickly.

You've to download the maps, prior to that though! HERE maps wins over G-maps in the offline mode :thumbs:

Have you disabled the apps in Settings > Applications > Background tasks. If not, disable all except you what you want. Also its good to turn on "Battery saver" option ON all the times. BTW, we can't exit Whatsapp unless we restart the phone, coz once started this app runs in the background.

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
You've to download the maps, prior to that though! HERE maps wins over G-maps in the offline mode :thumbs:

Have you disabled the apps in Settings > Applications > Background tasks. If not, disable all except you what you want. Also its good to turn on "Battery saver" option ON all the times. BTW, we can't exit Whatsapp unless we restart the phone, coz once started this app runs in the background.

Yup! I second that HERE maps wins over Google maps in the offline mode...

Yes, already disabled Background tasks. Battery Saver is on.

Brightness Adjustment should be like Android, though. There are only three presets here... Low, Medium & High. I want something between Low & Medium.

noob

Cyborg Agent
Yup! I second that HERE maps wins over Google maps in the offline mode...

Yes, already disabled Background tasks. Battery Saver is on.

Brightness Adjustment should be like Android, though. There are only three presets here... Low, Medium & High. I want something between Low & Medium.
Nope. Google maps are better. You can cache city data and then it works while offline too.

I want something below low or ability to disable backlighting.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Nope. Google maps are better. You can cache city data and then it works while offline too.

I want something below low or ability to disable backlighting.

With Google maps you can view the maps offline, not search for anything or route offline. Which can be achieved via gmaps for WP. Just look around the map when you have a data connection and dont quit out of it, voila offline google maps (kind of)

How about enabling your app to run under lockscreen (assuming you are interested in the disabling backlighting option because of your software development)?

Last edited:

noob

Cyborg Agent

If you have to disable everything then whats the point in getting WP. :)

BTW, WhatsApp does not runs in background (and so does every other 3rd party app). Its the background service which runs every 30 min for maximum 10 seconds after which OS kills the service.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
If you have to disable everything then whats the point in getting WP. :)

BTW, WhatsApp does not runs in background (and so does every other 3rd party app). Its the background service which runs every 30 min for maximum 10 seconds after which OS kills the service.

I am not asking him to disable everything forever. Just trying to pin the problem. I have all the stuff there as defaults (which is, run in the background) in my phone and get good battery life.

Are you sure about that (whatsapp)? I mean how does one get messages just after exiting the app (the back button exit) if the service is updated only once in 30 minutes? I am asking just because I am curious, and since you are developing for WP, I guess you'll be in a better position as compared to me to answer this :)

Top Bottom