Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Thanks all. I was about to choose one from galaxy young , xperia e, l520. L520 is above my budget, but i was trying hard to increase my budget. Just one drop and the screen gets cracked,then i would be in big trouble.i have seen my friend's galaxy ace falling down and surviving. Now i am little hesistant to take l520. Fully confused. Any solution?

I can assure you that the L520 is in no way inferior in build to the galaxy ace. The 520 has a slightly larger glass surface than the ace and therefore will always be a little more prone to cracking than the ace but not something I'd let my choice of phone rest on.

If you still arent sure, go with the ace. I dont want somebody blaming me later :D :)

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Green light for Lumia Amber – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

Nokia Glance screen will be available for all WP8 Lumia devices except the Nokia Lumia 520 and Lumia 625, which have a smaller display memory.
What do they mean by "Smaller display memory"?
That's a bit contradicting right.. L625's screen is same as L720's (except for the low ppi and clearback display) right?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
@xtremevicky

Android dosnt lack of udates,in fact there is a .2 .1 update all the time.Maybe specific manufacturers dont comply and deem necessary for all updates for a specific device,but that dosnt square up to lack of updates from Android. But how effective these Android updates are in actuals is anybodys guess! IMO I sometime feel they are just for the sake of it!

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^ Thats the point right?
If the manufacturers arent going to support their devices, then whats the point of having Google update the code ? Ofcourse you could always root and stuff, but thats defeating the whole purpose of buying a phone with manufacturer warranty. In the end, if the manufacturers decline to update, the device is left with essentially with no updates - minor or major.

Green light for Lumia Amber – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

What do they mean by "Smaller display memory"?
That's a bit contradicting right.. L625's screen is same as L720's (except for the low ppi and clearback display) right?

Yes. They are. Display memory is different from display resolution. But even then this is a feeble argument. It boggles the mind to think that any device has a larger display memory than absolutely needed considering both the 620 and the 520 run on identical CPU and GPU. I am very skeptical of the statement because it'd mean that the display code-base of the 520 differs from that of the 620, which quite frankly is pretty absurd as its only going to add to testing overhead when the hardware is identical but running different firmware.
I believe this is a trick to just differentiate the products, to keep the 520 from cannibalising the 620 sales. I guess Nokia is already ruing its decision to omit the FM receiver from the 620.

EDIT: It'd make sense that the puremotion screen has twice the display stack size of a non-puremotion screen. But the 620 screen is not puremotion, is it ? And there are a couple of other reasons why I feel this is intentional more than technical.

@xtremevicky

Android dosnt lack of udates,in fact there is a .2 .1 update all the time.Maybe specific manufacturers dont comply and deem necessary for all updates for a specific device,but that dosnt square up to lack of updates from Android. But how effective these Android updates are in actuals is anybodys guess! IMO I sometime feel they are just for the sake of it!

Tell me one phone except the Nexus series where the phone got two updates. Official updates.

And what makes you say that they are for the sake of it? If they are for the sake of it then why do they exist in the first place?

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Yes. They are. Display memory is different from display resolution. But even then this is a feeble argument. It boggles the mind to think that any device has a larger display memory than absolutely needed considering both the 620 and the 520 run on identical CPU and GPU. I am very skeptical of the statement because it'd mean that the display code-base of the 520 differs from that of the 620, which quite frankly is pretty absurd as its only going to add to testing overhead when the hardware is identical but running different firmware.
I believe this is a trick to just differentiate the products, to keep the 520 from cannibalising the 620 sales. I guess Nokia is already ruing its decision to omit the FM receiver from the 620.

EDIT: It'd make sense that the puremotion screen has twice the display stack size of a non-puremotion screen. But the 620 screen is not puremotion, is it ? And there are a couple of other reasons why I feel this is intentional more than technical.
Yes. That's what my doubt too.

If Asha 501 can get a glance screen (for its "Display memory"), i don't see why L520/L625 can't get it!!
But, i also question why Nokia differentiate its products for this trivial feature..

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Sometimes when i restart my phone, i get these types of tiled-screens everywhere..
*i.imgur.com/zBUooIo.jpg

I've to restart one more time, to get it function normal.
Anybody having this problem?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Yes. That's what my doubt too.

If Asha 501 can get a glance screen (for its "Display memory"), i don't see why L520/L625 can't get it!!
But, i also question why Nokia differentiate its products for this trivial feature..

You cannot compare the display memory directly between the 501 and the 520 either. It largely depends on how the display stack is oranised. SOme phones may have a buffer that enforces a 30fps limit whereas another might have a fush to screen as available type of buffer. Of course, this is pure speculation from my part, but I beleieve that to be the between the 520 and the 501.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Tell me one phone except the Nexus series where the phone got two updates. Official updates.

And what makes you say that they are for the sake of it? If they are for the sake of it then why do they exist in the first place?

I had received updates on my Xperia Arc may be one or two from Sony. It dosnt matter whether official or no but an android update never the less.

And tell me what greatness does these updates actually bring to the phone. Jellybeans battery issue is still not solved even on devices with 4.2.... 4.1 had the issue so does 4.2. So I feel they are namesake.

I had received updates on my Xperia Arc may be one or two from Sony. It dosnt matter whether official or no but an android update never the less.

And tell me what greatness does these updates actually bring to the phone. Jellybeans battery issue is still not solved even on devices with 4.2.... 4.1 had the issue so does 4.2. So I feel they are namesake.

So why do you even have updates altogether if they are just for namesake? I dont have any battery issue and that may be the case with your phone.

Typical fanboy who cant accept the biggest limitation of Droid. Anyways, please take your android praise somewhere else. This is a lumia thread and if you everytime want to come here and tell the 35 limitation than why dont you do a google search for Droid's performance.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
So why do you even have updates altogether if they are just for namesake? I dont have any battery issue and that may be the case with your phone.

Typical fanboy who cant accept the biggest limitation of Droid. Anyways, please take your android praise somewhere else. This is a lumia thread and if you everytime want to come here and tell the 35 limitation than why dont you do a google search for Droid's performance.

:facepalm::facepalm:

Are you mad or not civil enough to have a conversation with. Have you read hat I have written. Anyways you gave a good reason to have a laughat you. Or is it that you are not good at english? LoL.

I have bashed android's updates and you are calling me a Fanboy,ha ha ha you must be a little out of place on Top!!! Why dont you go else where and save us the :duh:Horror:duh:!

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I can assure you that the L520 is in no way inferior in build to the galaxy ace. The 520 has a slightly larger glass surface than the ace and therefore will always be a little more prone to cracking than the ace but not something I'd let my choice of phone rest on.

If you still arent sure, go with the ace. I dont want somebody blaming me later :D :)

hey thanks. I may purchase lumia from snapdeal with cod this Thursday. local prices here are sky high. let me know the seller named 'Zephyr' has good response or not.

Yeah. Getting the black one now. Can always get a red or yellow cover later.

Anyway, I have placed the order. Getting it from Snap Deal on CoD for Rs 8820/-

congrats.please inform me after getting your phone. I just want to know how good the seller is.

Top Bottom