Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

bippukt

In the zone
I bought a Nokia Lumia 520 on the 15th, and the phone looks and works great. Of course, it is my first smartphone, so I cannot make any comparison. But it seems to be a good choice until now.

There's just one problem. Isn't Lumia 520 supposed to come with a 1 year subscription to Nokia Music? I am not able to get my subscription registered. I am not sure if it is a problem from my end or some error on Nokia's part. Anyway, I have raised a complaint with Support and they say they will sort it out in 5 days. If only I could buy a 1 week subscription, but even that doesn't seem to be happening for some reason.

The speaker is good. And my first encounter with a smartphone battery is shocking - I will have to charge every day!

BTW, do you guys have any suggestion for a good app that will let me listen to Indian music? I don't have to download as I have a 1GB 3G data pack activated.

bippukt

In the zone
I just searched and found Gaana, Raaga and Dhingana. Which one is the best? Gaana was updated last in March, btw.

ujjwal007

Lost in games
I bought a Nokia Lumia 520 on the 15th, and the phone looks and works great. Of course, it is my first smartphone, so I cannot make any comparison. But it seems to be a good choice until now.

There's just one problem. Isn't Lumia 520 supposed to come with a 1 year subscription to Nokia Music? I am not able to get my subscription registered. I am not sure if it is a problem from my end or some error on Nokia's part. Anyway, I have raised a complaint with Support and they say they will sort it out in 5 days. If only I could buy a 1 week subscription, but even that doesn't seem to be happening for some reason.

The speaker is good. And my first encounter with a smartphone battery is shocking - I will have to charge every day!

BTW, do you guys have any suggestion for a good app that will let me listen to Indian music? I don't have to download as I have a 1GB 3G data pack activated.

it does comes with free 3 months subscription and update all the apps it will also increase battery backup.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Which messenger you guys use?

I need Gtalk and Facebook.

Try IM+

FB also works integrated into the messaging hub and when it works, its great. But I have seen it not receiveing messages for some time. Check if it works for you.

Battery life increases visibly over the first week. Keep 3G on only when you need it - its a major battery hog.

Is Lumia 520's 512MB RAM okay for Windows Mobile?

In Android, 512MB RAM phones are too slow.

If you are talking about usability, then there is no need for concern. 512MB is more than plenty for lag free usage. Keep in mind that some heavy games/apps do not run on 512MB devices, but other than that everything's the same. You cannot compare a WP phone with an Android phone on the basis of specifications.

Try IM+

FB also works integrated into the messaging hub and when it works, its great. But I have seen it not receiveing messages for some time. Check if it works for you.

Yup trying IM+.

I purchased the pro version in Droid. They should offer loyalty discount :p

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Is Lumia 520's 512MB RAM okay for Windows Mobile?

In Android, 512MB RAM phones are too slow.

Its substantial for a Windows phone considering the quality and quantity of apps they have that will ever utilize it or the hardware on any of their phones,ever!

I dont think its like that. So you mean to say Ios apps are also incapable to exploit the hardware?

As it has been mentioned previously, the OS is better optimized hence 512 MB ram is more than enough. A year later it will not be enough. ;)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Its substantial for a Windows phone considering the quality and quantity of apps they have that will ever utilize it or the hardware on any of their phones,ever!

Quality of an app has little to do with available RAM. Please read up some more. Neither does 'quantity' hold true in the WP ecosystem. The OS doesnt ask its dearest user to keep killing misbehaving apps or use "Super duper RAM charger Task Killer Pro Advanced Ultra" to keep tabs on the RAM usage just to have your phonebook open before the end of the millenium.

Fart apps on android too don't need a lot of RAM AFAIK, please correct me if I am wrong.

Pretty much every app looks/works better under the metro design. Just take a look at your run-off-the mill banking apps.

I dont think its like that. So you mean to say Ios apps are also incapable to exploit the hardware?

As it has been mentioned previously, the OS is better optimized hence 512 MB ram is more than enough. A year later it will not be enough. A year later it MAY not be enough for some more new apps ;)

^ This.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Quality of an app has little to do with available RAM. Please read up some more. Neither does 'quantity' hold true in the WP ecosystem. The OS doesnt ask its dearest user to keep killing misbehaving apps or use "Super duper RAM charger Task Killer Pro Advanced Ultra" to keep tabs on the RAM usage just to have your phonebook open before the end of the millenium.

Fart apps on android too don't need a lot of RAM AFAIK, please correct me if I am wrong.

Pretty much every app looks/works better under the metro design. Just take a look at your run-off-the mill banking apps.

^ This.

^^ Why get agitated like a share holder of Nokia or WP8, its a fact considering the apps there in Windows App Store 512 MB ram is substantial.Android apps are fart ,iOS apps are fart or not its the worldwide stats that say a different story than what you novice motor mouth do here,which makes you look like a fanboy,once again! Calm down.

35+ Drawbacks or Limitations of windows phone

1. Video and audio downloading is natively restricted
2. No file manager. You can't see files without a appropriate app. You can't move , rename the files... You Can't delete files that are not supported. Can't move files between SDcard and phone memory. simply you always need a computer for every single file operation.
3. You can't send Prerecorded audio and video files via any social networking apps like WhatsApp, Wechat etc
4. You Can't save received audio and video files with any social networking apps
5. You Can't upload video, audio, document files to any sites. And unable to upload image files to most of the websites. And can't attach with email.
6. No video players for playing popular video formats like .mkv,.avi,.flv etc
( offcourse there is one, yxplayer (Rs235), but Its NOT A STANDALONE APPLICATION... You Need buy another SDCard viwer application (Rs 110) for working with this player. total cost Rs 345... But still it can't give a satisfactory performance coz it can't play files from video hub and take minutes to open a video file, poor quality playback and many features are not present)
7. You can't share videos via Bluetooth except your personal videos taken with this phone.
8. No multiple file sending for files except images
9. No multiple delete option except audio and image files
10. No notification center. Always results in delayed notifications.
11. Call recording not possible. Its restricted
12. No background downloading support ( except app store)
13. Charging phone while its switched off is not possible. It automatically get on while connect to charger
14. No flash plugin support .. So you can't see any flash videos or web content that requires flash support..
15. No zooming while video recording in progress and no pause option for video recording
16. No way to see files properties.
17. No separate volume controls for music and ring tones. Can't set custom ring tone for message.
18. Can't save numbers directly to contacts from call record
19. Sms delivery reports comes into a separate thread
20. No looping option in to do list. No proper notification. No way to set alerts for different day intervals
21. No way to close internet explorer immediately
22. To close apps you need first bring the app into foreground
23. Page refreshing in browsers and other applications when switching to foreground. Typed content vanishes.
24. No USB tethering. So you can't use it with your desktop computer.
25. No Equalizer for music player
26. One waste hardware button. dedicated for bing. No one using it. Its really irritating when bing launches by accidently touching it while running other apps or games.
27. Day by day increasing other storage. No way to clean it
28. Duplication of files
29. No seek bar for music player
30. No CUT option in text editing. Only COPY option..
31. No rotation lock. Really Annoying while in bed.
32. No auto alignment for text while zooming in documents and web pages... Really annoying while reading web pages
33. No quick short cuts for WiFi,Bluetooth,battery,network,gps, brightness settings. No Bluetooth auto on while sending files.
34. No task killing, one hanging application leads to entire phone hang and restart.
35. No privacy features. Only way to protect your personal data is screen lock password.
36. In video and audio hub. There is no way to categorize your files. every thing shows mixed... In video hub there is no way to even sort the files. Everything mixed up. No matter whether its p*rn or movie clip.
37. While receiving video files via Bluetooth it goes to saved images folder instead of video hub.
38. Vibration alerts are not really helpful. It vibrates only once when getting a call.

And offcourse Less availability of apps and games, limited features in available popular apps as compared to other platforms ( eg: 360camara, WhatsApp etc ), unexpected restarting.... And Still counting...

Have you seen the amount of basic stuff that WP8 cant do??? Fart? Eco System?Quality? Quantity? Ha Ha Ha

I have high lighted stuffs for you cause you miss a lot.

Last edited:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^^ Why get agitated like a share holder of Nokia or WP8, its a fact considering the apps there in Windows App Store 512 MB ram is substantial.Android apps are fart ,iOS apps are fart or not its the worldwide stats that say a different story than what you novice motor mouth does here,which makes you look like a fanboy,once again! Calm down.

I get agitated because you come here regularly to troll and your comment didnt really help the OP. Not only that, your statements are factually inaccurate wrt the 'quality' of an app being proportional to the RAM it consumes or the 'quantity' of apps being detrimental to the usage of a phone. Neither of that is valid *probably* outside your beloved Android ecosystem. So, stop spreading FUD.

A good program is one that uses the least amount of resources that it can make do with, not 'exploit' all available resources leaving nothing for others.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot

As it has been mentioned previously, the OS is better optimized hence 512 MB ram is more than enough. A year later it will not be enough. ;)

TBH its only Games that exploit your hardware optimally and 1080p movies on H/W acceleration [WP8 dont have a Video player to do that too],other than that nothing really taxes your hardware. WP8 has very few choices or no choices in that regard.

I get agitated because you come here regularly to troll and your comment didnt really help the OP. Not only that, your statements are factually inaccurate wrt the 'quality' of an app being proportional to the RAM it consumes or the 'quantity' of apps being detrimental to the usage of a phone. Neither of that is valid *probably* outside your beloved Android ecosystem. So, stop spreading FUD.

A good program is one that uses the least amount of resources that it can make do with, not 'exploit' all available resources leaving nothing for others.

I show the truth and as fanboy you dont like it!

A good programs uses less amount of RAM and all programs aint good. So when you have so less of "programs" on Windows OS 512 is substantial,you will see how substantial that is after a year if Redmond ever gets serious about their MIDs

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
TBH its only Games that exploit your hardware optimally and 1080p movies on H/W acceleration [WP8 dont have a Video player to do that too],other than that nothing really taxes your hardware. WP8 has very few choices or no choices in that regard.

I show the truth and as fanboy you dont like it!

A good programs uses less amount of RAM and all programs aint good. So when you have so less of "programs" on Windows OS 512 is substantial,you will see how substantial that is after a year if Redmond ever gets serious about their MIDs

The default media player IS hardware-accelerated.

There is nothing that says only games can exploit hardware optimally. If your point was that games can consume all the resources *available* to it, then please point me to a Non PC, Non Console game that does that (Android or otherwise). The ones that come closest to it are the Tegra zone games that are pretty well optimised for the Tegra chips, but then again that wasnt your point.

If a program isn't coded well, its the dev's fault, not the user's fpr having a less resourced device. Though this is a highly skewed comparison, how much RAM did the Xbox 360 have ?

Also, please reiterate the 'truth' that you showed, because I for one seem to have completely missed that one. Must have flown right over my head

I re-read that comment, still cant find your great 'truth'. Am I dumb or what ?
Also please describe your time-travel skills as concerning the 'ever' part of that statement.

1. Video and audio downloading is natively restricted - Yes
2. No file manager. You can't see files without a appropriate app. You can't move , rename the files... You Can't delete files that are not supported. Can't move files between SDcard and phone memory. simply you always need a computer for every single file operation. – No file manager and no delete option for unsupported files. We can copy the files between SD card and Phone as a whole (mark the files you want to copy, and click ‘…’ at the bottom, it will give you options to copy to phone(image) and copy to phone/SD(audio). You can’t do anything with video.
3. You can't send Prerecorded audio and video files via any social networking apps like WhatsApp, Wechat etc - Yes. If it is natively restricted (in point 1), there will be no apps to support it. So, this point is moot.
4. You Can't save received audio and video files with any social networking apps – Yes. same as Point 3.
5. You Can't upload video, audio, document files to any sites. And unable to upload image files to most of the websites. And can't attach with email. – You can. “Long-press” the media (image/audio) to get the “Share” option and send via email. Same applicable to docs. Videos can be sent.
6. No video players for playing popular video formats like .mkv,.avi,.flv etc – Avi/mp4/wmv/mov/m4a/3gp files can be played without a hitch. No support for mkv/flv as of now.
( offcourse there is one, yxplayer (Rs235), but Its NOT A STANDALONE APPLICATION... You Need buy another SDCard viwer application (Rs 110) for working with this player. total cost Rs 345... But still it can't give a satisfactory performance coz it can't play files from video hub and take minutes to open a video file, poor quality playback and many features are not present)
7. You can't share videos via Bluetooth except your personal videos taken with this phone. – Not sure. This is true
8. No multiple file sending for files except images - Yes
9. No multiple delete option except audio and image files - Yes And also SMS threads and email, but not for PDFs or docs
10. No notification center. Always results in delayed notifications. – Yes, no notification center. But there’s no delayed notification. (If they mean whatsapp, it’s rectified in latest whatsapp updates)
11. Call recording not possible. Its restricted - Yes (Update is due this month),but apps are available.
12. No background downloading support ( except app store) – Not sure. UC browser supports I guess.
13. Charging phone while its switched off is not possible. It automatically get on while connect to charger – Is that a restriction? I have come to genuinely like this one
14. No flash plugin support .. So you can't see any flash videos or web content that requires flash support.. – Wrong. Youtube works well and I can see even the flash-ads from tdf forums. No flash, Youtube uses HTML5 and so do most other sites
15. No zooming while video recording in progress and no pause option for video recording - Yes
16. No way to see files properties. - Yes
17. No separate volume controls for music and ring tones. Can't set custom ring tone for message. – Yes, but you can copy the tunes to “Ringtones” folder to set your favorite tunes.
18. Can't save numbers directly to contacts from call record – You can.
19. Sms delivery reports comes into a separate thread – Yes. But all delivery reports are merged as a single thread.
20. No looping option in to do list. No proper notification. No way to set alerts for different day intervals – You can.
21. No way to close internet explorer immediately – Is that a restriction? Repeating, DO NOT CLOSE APPS. Just press the windows button to get to the homescreen. If you still want to close press on the tabs button in IE > press on x mark on the tab to close it. First set the button to open tabs instead of refresh from IE > settings
22. To close apps you need first bring the app into foreground - Yes. (Update coming soon) DO NOT CLOSE APPS, just use the windows button. Why do you want to close apps? Unless its Angry Birds, in which case press back to exit from the app.
23. Page refreshing in browsers and other applications when switching to foreground. Typed content vanishes. – No. Reloading happens on the 520 when loading heavy pages
24. No USB tethering. So you can't use it with your desktop computer. – Haven’t used. No USB tethering, only WiFi
25. No Equalizer for music player – No equalizer in L520, others got it.
26. One waste hardware button. dedicated for bing. No one using it. Its really irritating when bing launches by accidently touching it while running other apps or games - Yes. I use it to download apps using the QR code reader built into it. Pretty trivial use-case, I know, but pretty goddamn useful too. It also does text scanning although not the most accurate one at that.
27. Day by day increasing other storage. No way to clean it – Yes. Apps are available, but they won’t clean fully. GDR2 brings efficient other storage management. Only way to get rid of it is to RESET. Others storage bug is fixed. Nokia has the storage check app to clean temporary files and GDR2 has the fix to contain the storage issue. The others will grow to a max of ~2GB before it stables. Like I always said, its the %temp% folder, you CANNOT clean it completely all the time.
28. Duplication of files – Yes, happens for only SOME people.
29. No seek bar for music player – Long press the REWIND/FORWARD button to go wherever you want.
30. No CUT option in text editing. Only COPY option.. - Yes Cut is present. Select word by tapping on it, then press backspace on keypad.
31. No rotation lock. Really Annoying while in bed. – Yes (will be addressed in GDR3) Really never had issues with this myself, but coming in GDR3 due late december
32. No auto alignment for text while zooming in documents and web pages... Really annoying while reading web pages – Wrong. No text reflow, but never had issues even on the 520. Can you provide a sample site?
33. No quick short cuts for WiFi,Bluetooth,battery,network,gps, brightness settings. No Bluetooth auto on while sending files. – Yes, but there are apps available so you can pin it to the start button for ease.
34. No task killing, one hanging application leads to entire phone hang and restart. – Wrong. Just wait for it to close. Had 1 hang in 6 months and that was in the first week of my 920. Never ever seen another. Application crash DOESNT restart the phone, it just kills the app.
35. No privacy features. Only way to protect your personal data is screen lock password. – Yes, there’s also “KID CORNER” option for protecting from others & WP8 haters.
36. In video and audio hub. There is no way to categorize your files. every thing shows mixed... In video hub there is no way to even sort the files. Everything mixed up. No matter whether its p*rn or movie clip. - Yes
37. While receiving video files via Bluetooth it goes to saved images folder instead of video hub. – Haven’t tried.
38. Vibration alerts are not really helpful. It vibrates only once when getting a call. – Wrong. If you set the phone to “vibrate”, it will vibrate until you attend or drop.

Great job posting only the questions, when there was this post not much below it.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Microsoft said:
*blogs.windows.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-00-53-84-metablogapi/clip_5F00_image006_5F00_thumb_5F00_36265451.png

Windows Phone is growing every day and we’re working hard to make it even easier for developers of all types and skill levels to get started. Windows Phone offers you the canvas and platform to design and develop apps that provide a unique and personalized experience that other platforms don’t offer.

@Incinerator: The above should answer your query reg the rise of WP8 across the world
Making it easier to get started with Windows Phone App Studio beta, simplified phone registration, support options & more payout markets

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Fresh paint now available for 512MB phones.
Fresh Paint shares its brushes with 512MB Windows Phone 8 devices in latest update | Windows Phone Central

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
@Incinerator: The above should answer your query reg the rise of WP8 across the world
Making it easier to get started with Windows Phone App Studio beta, simplified phone registration, support options & more payout markets

Nokia Store marks 2 billion app downloads in India for S40 and Asha phones - Mobile Phone | News | ThinkDigit

Does that prove that Nokia Asha and S40 with 2 Billion downloads is on par with WP phone...anyways....!

...Android Graph.....till 2012

*img845.imageshack.us/img845/2393/4qky.jpg

In 2013 it stands at ? Over 50 Billion !!!Google Play crosses 50 billion downloads; 1.5 mn Android activations daily | InfoSyte

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a troll in our midst. :D

Ladies and Gentlemen we have a :noob: FANBOY :noob: in our midst.:rofl:

@pranav ,The answers to the Question were mostly an YES or in agreement. Turn over boy.

Top Bottom