Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

veddotcom

Journeyman
So here are some features which would be coming with the final version of Amber update:
Amber Update on the Lumia 920: A First, In-Depth Look - Mobile Phone | ThinkDigit Features

Data Sense
Ability to keep a track on data usage for both Carrier date and Wifi data saperately.

Glance and Peek
To display a live clock along with missed notifications on the screen, and to be able to invoke it by waving over the phone.

Radio
FM finally.. Yay...

Shutter Button Customization
Ability to assign camera button to Nokia's Camera app

Display Colour Profiles
A way to set your own colour temperature and saturation level for the screen.

SMS and Call Filter
To block contacts (have to see if wildcards are supported, most probably it wont)

CardDAV and CalDAV Protocols Support
To continue syncing your contacts and calendars from Google. And to receive business cards over text messages.

No Glance Screen for Lumia 520

Source

Just a Quick Cool Tip which I came to know. To take screenshot Press "Power button + Winddow Key". screenshot will get saved in Albums.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
1. Video and audio downloading is natively restricted - Yes
2. No file manager. You can't see files without a appropriate app. You can't move , rename the files... You Can't delete files that are not supported. Can't move files between SDcard and phone memory. simply you always need a computer for every single file operation. – No file manager and no delete option for unsupported files. We can copy the files between SD card and Phone as a whole (mark the files you want to copy, and click ‘…’ at the bottom, it will give you options to copy to phone(image) and copy to phone/SD(audio). You can’t do anything with video.
3. You can't send Prerecorded audio and video files via any social networking apps like WhatsApp, Wechat etc - Yes. If it is natively restricted (in point 1), there will be no apps to support it. So, this point is moot.
4. You Can't save received audio and video files with any social networking apps – Yes. same as Point 3.
5. You Can't upload video, audio, document files to any sites. And unable to upload image files to most of the websites. And can't attach with email. – You can. “Long-press” the media (image/audio) to get the “Share” option and send via email. Same applicable to docs. Videos can be sent.
6. No video players for playing popular video formats like .mkv,.avi,.flv etc – Avi/mp4/wmv/mov/m4a/3gp files can be played without a hitch. No support for mkv/flv as of now.
( offcourse there is one, yxplayer (Rs235), but Its NOT A STANDALONE APPLICATION... You Need buy another SDCard viwer application (Rs 110) for working with this player. total cost Rs 345... But still it can't give a satisfactory performance coz it can't play files from video hub and take minutes to open a video file, poor quality playback and many features are not present)
7. You can't share videos via Bluetooth except your personal videos taken with this phone. – Not sure.
8. No multiple file sending for files except images - Yes
9. No multiple delete option except audio and image files - Yes
10. No notification center. Always results in delayed notifications. – Yes, no notification center. But there’s no delayed notification. (If they mean whatsapp, it’s rectified in latest whatsapp updates)
11. Call recording not possible. Its restricted - Yes (Update is due this month),but apps are available.
12. No background downloading support ( except app store) – Not sure. UC browser supports I guess.
13. Charging phone while its switched off is not possible. It automatically get on while connect to charger – Is that a restriction?
14. No flash plugin support .. So you can't see any flash videos or web content that requires flash support.. – Wrong. Youtube works well and I can see even the flash-ads from tdf forums.
15. No zooming while video recording in progress and no pause option for video recording - Yes
16. No way to see files properties. - Yes
17. No separate volume controls for music and ring tones. Can't set custom ring tone for message. – Yes, but you can copy the tunes to “Ringtones” folder to set your favorite tunes.
18. Can't save numbers directly to contacts from call record – You can.
19. Sms delivery reports comes into a separate thread – Yes. But all delivery reports are merged as a single thread.
20. No looping option in to do list. No proper notification. No way to set alerts for different day intervals – You can.
21. No way to close internet explorer immediately – Is that a restriction?
22. To close apps you need first bring the app into foreground - Yes. (Update coming soon)
23. Page refreshing in browsers and other applications when switching to foreground. Typed content vanishes. – No.
24. No USB tethering. So you can't use it with your desktop computer. – Haven’t used.
25. No Equalizer for music player – No equalizer in L520, others got it.
26. One waste hardware button. dedicated for bing. No one using it. Its really irritating when bing launches by accidently touching it while running other apps or games - Yes.
27. Day by day increasing other storage. No way to clean it – Yes. Apps are available, but they won’t clean fully. GDR2 brings efficient other storage management. Only way to get rid of it is to RESET.
28. Duplication of files – Yes, happens for only SOME people.
29. No seek bar for music player – Long press the REWIND/FORWARD button to go wherever you want.
30. No CUT option in text editing. Only COPY option.. - Yes
31. No rotation lock. Really Annoying while in bed. – Yes (will be addressed in GDR3)
32. No auto alignment for text while zooming in documents and web pages... Really annoying while reading web pages – Wrong.
33. No quick short cuts for WiFi,Bluetooth,battery,network,gps, brightness settings. No Bluetooth auto on while sending files. – Yes, but there are apps available so you can pin it to the start button for ease.
34. No task killing, one hanging application leads to entire phone hang and restart. – Wrong. Just wait for it to close.
35. No privacy features. Only way to protect your personal data is screen lock password. – Yes, there’s also “KID CORNER” option for protecting from others & WP8 haters.
36. In video and audio hub. There is no way to categorize your files. every thing shows mixed... In video hub there is no way to even sort the files. Everything mixed up. No matter whether its p*rn or movie clip. - Yes
37. While receiving video files via Bluetooth it goes to saved images folder instead of video hub. – Haven’t tried.
38. Vibration alerts are not really helpful. It vibrates only once when getting a call. – Wrong. If you set the phone to “vibrate”, it will vibrate until you attend or drop.

Some are valid points and some aren't.
Remember no OS is perfect in its inception. It will be perfected, as time goes.

It's the price we've (WP7X/8 users) to pay, to get the fluidic and dynamic mobile OS ever created..

:boink:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
1. Video and audio downloading is natively restricted - Yes
2. No file manager. You can't see files without a appropriate app. You can't move , rename the files... You Can't delete files that are not supported. Can't move files between SDcard and phone memory. simply you always need a computer for every single file operation. – No file manager and no delete option for unsupported files. We can copy the files between SD card and Phone as a whole (mark the files you want to copy, and click ‘…’ at the bottom, it will give you options to copy to phone(image) and copy to phone/SD(audio). You can’t do anything with video.
3. You can't send Prerecorded audio and video files via any social networking apps like WhatsApp, Wechat etc - Yes. If it is natively restricted (in point 1), there will be no apps to support it. So, this point is moot.
4. You Can't save received audio and video files with any social networking apps – Yes. same as Point 3.
5. You Can't upload video, audio, document files to any sites. And unable to upload image files to most of the websites. And can't attach with email. – You can. “Long-press” the media (image/audio) to get the “Share” option and send via email. Same applicable to docs. Videos can be sent.
6. No video players for playing popular video formats like .mkv,.avi,.flv etc – Avi/mp4/wmv/mov/m4a/3gp files can be played without a hitch. No support for mkv/flv as of now.
( offcourse there is one, yxplayer (Rs235), but Its NOT A STANDALONE APPLICATION... You Need buy another SDCard viwer application (Rs 110) for working with this player. total cost Rs 345... But still it can't give a satisfactory performance coz it can't play files from video hub and take minutes to open a video file, poor quality playback and many features are not present)
7. You can't share videos via Bluetooth except your personal videos taken with this phone. – Not sure. This is true
8. No multiple file sending for files except images - Yes
9. No multiple delete option except audio and image files - Yes And also SMS threads and email, but not for PDFs or docs
10. No notification center. Always results in delayed notifications. – Yes, no notification center. But there’s no delayed notification. (If they mean whatsapp, it’s rectified in latest whatsapp updates)
11. Call recording not possible. Its restricted - Yes (Update is due this month),but apps are available.
12. No background downloading support ( except app store) – Not sure. UC browser supports I guess.
13. Charging phone while its switched off is not possible. It automatically get on while connect to charger – Is that a restriction? I have come to genuinely like this one
14. No flash plugin support .. So you can't see any flash videos or web content that requires flash support.. – Wrong. Youtube works well and I can see even the flash-ads from tdf forums. No flash, Youtube uses HTML5 and so do most other sites
15. No zooming while video recording in progress and no pause option for video recording - Yes
16. No way to see files properties. - Yes
17. No separate volume controls for music and ring tones. Can't set custom ring tone for message. – Yes, but you can copy the tunes to “Ringtones” folder to set your favorite tunes.
18. Can't save numbers directly to contacts from call record – You can.
19. Sms delivery reports comes into a separate thread – Yes. But all delivery reports are merged as a single thread.
20. No looping option in to do list. No proper notification. No way to set alerts for different day intervals – You can.
21. No way to close internet explorer immediately – Is that a restriction? Repeating, DO NOT CLOSE APPS. Just press the windows button to get to the homescreen. If you still want to close press on the tabs button in IE > press on x mark on the tab to close it. First set the button to open tabs instead of refresh from IE > settings
22. To close apps you need first bring the app into foreground - Yes. (Update coming soon) DO NOT CLOSE APPS, just use the windows button. Why do you want to close apps? Unless its Angry Birds, in which case press back to exit from the app.
23. Page refreshing in browsers and other applications when switching to foreground. Typed content vanishes. – No. Reloading happens on the 520 when loading heavy pages
24. No USB tethering. So you can't use it with your desktop computer. – Haven’t used. No USB tethering, only WiFi
25. No Equalizer for music player – No equalizer in L520, others got it.
26. One waste hardware button. dedicated for bing. No one using it. Its really irritating when bing launches by accidently touching it while running other apps or games - Yes. I use it to download apps using the QR code reader built into it. Pretty trivial use-case, I know, but pretty goddamn useful too. It also does text scanning although not the most accurate one at that.
27. Day by day increasing other storage. No way to clean it – Yes. Apps are available, but they won’t clean fully. GDR2 brings efficient other storage management. Only way to get rid of it is to RESET. Others storage bug is fixed. Nokia has the storage check app to clean temporary files and GDR2 has the fix to contain the storage issue. The others will grow to a max of ~2GB before it stables. Like I always said, its the %temp% folder, you CANNOT clean it completely all the time.
28. Duplication of files – Yes, happens for only SOME people.
29. No seek bar for music player – Long press the REWIND/FORWARD button to go wherever you want.
30. No CUT option in text editing. Only COPY option.. - Yes Cut is present. Select word by tapping on it, then press backspace on keypad.
31. No rotation lock. Really Annoying while in bed. – Yes (will be addressed in GDR3) Really never had issues with this myself, but coming in GDR3 due late december
32. No auto alignment for text while zooming in documents and web pages... Really annoying while reading web pages – Wrong. No text reflow, but never had issues even on the 520. Can you provide a sample site?
33. No quick short cuts for WiFi,Bluetooth,battery,network,gps, brightness settings. No Bluetooth auto on while sending files. – Yes, but there are apps available so you can pin it to the start button for ease.
34. No task killing, one hanging application leads to entire phone hang and restart. – Wrong. Just wait for it to close. Had 1 hang in 6 months and that was in the first week of my 920. Never ever seen another. Application crash DOESNT restart the phone, it just kills the app.
35. No privacy features. Only way to protect your personal data is screen lock password. – Yes, there’s also “KID CORNER” option for protecting from others & WP8 haters.
36. In video and audio hub. There is no way to categorize your files. every thing shows mixed... In video hub there is no way to even sort the files. Everything mixed up. No matter whether its p*rn or movie clip. - Yes
37. While receiving video files via Bluetooth it goes to saved images folder instead of video hub. – Haven’t tried.
38. Vibration alerts are not really helpful. It vibrates only once when getting a call. – Wrong. If you set the phone to “vibrate”, it will vibrate until you attend or drop.

Just added a few updates.

Last edited:
OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
30. No CUT option in text editing. Only COPY option.. - Yes Cut is present. Select word by tapping on it, then press backspace on keypad.
Am not able to cut.
Selecting a word and hitting backspace, deletes the word.. :|

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Am not able to cut.
Selecting a word and hitting backspace, deletes the word.. :|

Yep. I misspoke. Select a word > press copy > backspace
Not CUT directly but even for the massive texting needs of someone like me, I have found it perfectly usable. I copy MUCH more often than I need to cut. :)

veddotcom

Journeyman
Why not Add the two major Plus side of Windows Phone in comparison with Android

1. No Malware/Virus Present.
2. The lightweight fluid like interface even on 9k Priced phone overloaded with tons of Apps, Games and files. Especially with L520 I was amazed when it was able to play BlueRay 1080p videos flawlessly.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks for clearing my doubts.Do you own both WP and Android ? Which do YOU prefer more ?

Thanks to you too..Do you also own both Android and WP8 ? What is your preference ?

If you are asking what people prefer between WP phones and Android, you are in the wrong place buddy. :p
1. This is a Lumia 520 thread. You can't avoid some members who would be simply biased.
2. This is highly debatable subject, and a matter of personal preference. And the discussion of which have lead to many digital wars many place over TDF.

So I recommend, either create a separate thread to discuss the same, or either search for some threads (you won't have to dig much).

PS: I own Android primarily, but I also have Lumia 520 which I bought for my dad. And I love both with respect to their features and limitations. :)

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Thanks to you too..Do you also own both Android and WP8 ? What is your preference ?
Yes. Lumia 520. Haven't owned Android, but had my hands-on friends's androids.
In terms of Open source, tons of apps, custom roms - Android wins.
In terms of Fluidic, fast and something new, unified social integration (via hub) - WP wins. It's a matter of preference. :)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Thanks for clearing my doubts.Do you own both WP and Android ? Which do YOU prefer more ?

Before I can comment, I'll make my usage clear. I am NOT a heavy *smartphone* user. I dont intend to game using an attached keyboard mouse combo, nor do I care about Temple Run or subway surfer or the lack of Instagram. I dont download music or videos or torrents either (although you can do that now with WP)

What I am is a heavy *phone* user. Lots of texting (no IM, no FB chat, but I do use Disqus and FB a little bit), a good amount of maps (for walking predominantly) and greatly appreciate good design, a good camera and good battery life and a massive storage (I NEED my 10GB+ collection of music with me all the time). I moved from a Nokia 2760 to an N70 to an Xperia Ray to the 920 to the 520.

As it stands my needs find me most comfortable with WP. I love the keyboard, integrated messaging with the phone intelligently switching to the last used means per person, the unified inbox, the lack of babysitting the battery (just dont keep Angry birds or Maps/Drive ON), the wonderful offline mode on Nokia maps and the sleek design of the OS as a whole. I buy phones for what I see in them WHEN I PURCHASE THEM (I dont give a damn about updates usually, if i dont like a phone now and have to wait for an update to fix things, I dont buy it - that simple). That being said, I have never found anything that I wanted missing in WP. If anything I am glad I took a leap of faith and made the jump. If anything I am only happier with WP on my 9k 520 than I was on my 16k Ray. Due to the nature of my work, I had the option to get a Lava Play for roughly 5k (thats hardware equivalent to the last gen HTC flagship, the One X) and still happily spent twice that amount to get the 520 :D

In short - I love WP, its the best PHONE OS I have ever used. It may or may not be suitable for you, draw up what you want your phone to do before making a purchase-call. BTW, if FB chat is super important to you DONT buy WP now. Same applies for games, obviously.

PS: I have spent a decent amount of time with every major phone including the S2, S3, Note, Nexus, Nexus 4, S4, One X etc with the exception of the IDevices. That being said I am planning to buy a Nexus 7/Shield and the Nokia phablet thats rumored for a November launch though I will be closely monitoring the Nexus 5 which is also due pretty soon.

Last edited:

H2O

Journeyman
I don't use FB chat a lot. But, I browse through the groups and post comments etc there. So, Will it be an issue?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I don't use FB chat a lot. But, I browse through the groups and post comments etc there. So, Will it be an issue?

Shouldnt be. Use the FB app for that. I dont do what you wish to do, but I dont think there is any isue with commenting. Only the built in FB chat integration sucks (MSA has clearly stated that this is an issue with FB and I have used it earlier when it worked and it was bloody brilliant when it did work), but you can use the app to chat just fine (I guess), but since its not very user friendly I dont recommend it and will call FB chat broken until the integration issue is fixed.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
Will Lumia 520 be getting WP 8.1 as well as WP9 ? Atleast MS should show respect for those who invested in WP by promising them some future updates.

.jRay.

Youngling
Does anyone else face a problem with Nokia ringtone maker app? When I set the ringtone its just some random noise

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Using it for few months. No problems faced.

Will Lumia 520 be getting WP 8.1 as well as WP9 ? Atleast MS should show respect for those who invested in WP by promising them some future updates.
Not sure of WP9, but WP8 will be supported till 2016.
*www.engadget.com/2013/07/11/windows-phone-8-support-lifecycle-doubles/

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
As far as support goes WP is far better than any android except the nexii. And while the full OS may not come to all the devices, it'll be like how Apple does it - certain features being disabled for the low end devices (Just like no glance screen for the 520, and no 3 medium tiles in a row for non-1080p devices), but receiving the core-update nevertheless.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
No native video downloading restriction means i cannot download videos from the internet from free?

Last edited:
Top Bottom