Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Man I got my hands on 520 for the first time ...my reaction to the responsiveness of the screen was:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11825&stc=1

But I didn't had the:

MONEY

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11826&stc=1

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Screen feed back improves substantially if you use a matte screen guard. Personally, the smearing caused by the matte screen protectors is a very acceptable compromise for the improved feeling of scrolling (applies to every screen)

@H2O: Had a 250 rupee matte screen guard on my 920, so this one should be roughly the same price. I'd recommend matte over glossy.

A popular showroom here asked for 750 rupees for a flip-cover type protector. Didnt buy it because my previous one (920) had a 200 rupee cover that I loved.

bippukt

In the zone
I have shortlisted Lumia 520 as my first smartphone. There are just a couple of things left:

1. Wifi and 3G - Nokia Music will take care of my music needs, but is the downloading speed okay when using wifi or 3G? My wifi is free and unlimited but it dies unexpectedly, so I need to be able to use 3G for downloading occasionally.

2. Movies - Android has lots of movies in its Store. How are things with WP? How do you get movies on it? Also, what is the expected download size of a movie when you watch it on relatively low resolution like that of Lumia 520? Movies aren't a priority for me as I will use laptop for that most of the time, but it will still be good to have.

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
I have shortlisted Lumia 520 as my first smartphone. There are just a couple of things left:

1. Wifi and 3G - Nokia Music will take care of my music needs, but is the downloading speed okay when using wifi or 3G? My wifi is free and unlimited but it dies unexpectedly, so I need to be able to use 3G for downloading occasionally.

2. Movies - Android has lots of movies in its Store. How are things with WP? How do you get movies on it? Also, what is the expected download size of a movie when you watch it on relatively low resolution like that of Lumia 520? Movies aren't a priority for me as I will use laptop for that most of the time, but it will still be good to have.

Downloading over 3G is just as normal as in android..

L520 can play 1080p videos easily, so same would go with movies(havnt tried it though)..

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
Possibly, although UC browser *may* be able to help. :D

I have never tried to download any videos on my phone and so cannot comment.

But why no native video download support ? Even feature phones from 2004 had that feature.What is MS thinking ? Why are they intentionally excluding even the most basic of features ? I like to download videos,clips,movies from various free websites so that is another bummer.LOL MS trolling the people.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
But why no native video download support ? Even feature phones from 2004 had that feature.What is MS thinking ? Why are they intentionally excluding even the most basic of features ? I like to download videos,clips,movies from various free websites so that is another bummer.LOL MS trolling the people.

People from MS probably dont download what you do :D

Agree, some find it a big omission. Some others dont really notice it at all.

H2O

Journeyman
Thanks Pranav. Do you have a link or did you buy it locally?

BTW, Any recommendations for the cover case?

Will be getting the Lumia 520 from Snapdeal tonight or tomorrow. Only wanted to know if the service is reliable or not.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
People from MS probably dont download what you do :D

Agree, some find it a big omission. Some others dont really notice it at all.

Even after so many restrictions i still believe L520 is the best branded smartphone under 10k.It will be my next smartphone after my current phone stops working(wants phone to stop working).:-D

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Thanks Pranav. Do you have a link or did you buy it locally?

BTW, Any recommendations for the cover case?

Will be getting the Lumia 520 from Snapdeal tonight or tomorrow. Only wanted to know if the service is reliable or not.

I bought both of them locally. For covers, I like to feel and see them in-person before buying.

Even after so many restrictions i still believe L520 is the best branded smartphone under 10k.It will be my next smartphone after my current phone stops working(wants phone to stop working).:-D

If you want to buy it, buy it now. Else wait until december for the new series to come around :)

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
I bought both of them locally. For covers, I like to feel and see them in-person before buying.

If you want to buy it, buy it now. Else wait until december for the new series to come around :)
You mean rumoured Lumia 525 with a 4.5" display ?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Which new series ? Replacement for the L520 ?

Yes. I'd expect a quadcore+Adreno 305 to replace the 720/820 and possibly a refresh for the 520. At the very least I do expect some new low ender up with GDR3. You may like it or wait for the 520 to drop a further 500 rupee or so :)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Welcome :)

Next impressions : this is neat > meh > wtf.

Then after a month you pick up a droid again and realise why you love WP in the first place. Atleast thats how it has been for me :D

Welcome :)

Next impressions : this is neat > meh > wtf.

Then after a month you pick up a droid again and realise why you love WP in the first place. Atleast thats how it has been for me :D

I got a android phone when it was Meh and WTF. I was coming from an Ios device.

I have high hopes from WP8. I hope MS can give good updates for a couple of years.

Top Bottom