Linux users are poor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Nice discussion going on there,
I would say No.I dont use Windows not because I cant buy it,
(Terrible explanation, Who buys windows in India anyways?)
But because I like the flexibility and features Linux offers me.
Simply said,I just dont want to keep buying apps if I use windows to, per say, even change my theme ;)

Btw, Nice Find,
And I think this is best in the Fight-Club.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
What you guys think?
I think that the discussion nothing but a waste of time

I don't use Linux due to personal issues, I use Microsoft Windows. But still I don't consider Windows as a "Status symbol". If one wants to use Linux, I am neither surprised, nor I look down. The noble open source community has been grateful by allowing the masses to use its inventions free-of-charge. That doesn't mean its not worth paying.

There may be a percentage of "poor" linux users, but tell me, are all Windows users rich?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
lol.. people use linux for lot of reasons. A person not being able to afford paid OS is just one reason why people switch to linux and not the only reason. I have seen poor people use genuine Windows as well as rich people using linux.

I would say if even if linux was paid I would happily have paid for such a wonderful operating system.

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes, interesting discussion going in there (and about to start in here ;) )

I use linux because i wanted to explore the possibilities beyond Windows. I own Genuine XP and Vista, still i love linux and wanna learn more about it.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Wonderful Post in the Ubuntuforums thread:
Pretty much anyone who qualifies as a "Linux user", as someone pointed
out, ostensibly has the great luxury of owning a computer.

If you can afford a computer, you most certainly do not qualify as impoverished in my opinion.

Someone is "poor" if they do not have access to/can't afford things like heat in the winter, food, clothing, sewage service, etc. Keeping this in perspective, nobody here would really qualify as poor. And the frivolous question of "which computer operating system to use?" is the last thing on the minds of people who actually are.

IMO, Answers the question exactly to the point.

well, actually, Linux Users are real Rich. Not sure about the money part, but to use a standard distro(slackware), you definitely need more brains than while using a standard windows(XP).

And the reverse of the status symbol part is true. To use ANY OS other than Windows XP is itself a status symbol. Here is the status increase:

Windows 95 < Windows 98 << Windows 2000 < Windows XP << Windows Vista <<< Macintosh OSX Leopard <<<<< Linux < Solaris <<<<< BSD < HP-UX <<< Z/OS

and in windows, the costlier versions of the same release come above the cheaper ones, and in linux, more classic versions(like debian, slackware) come above simpler versions(ubuntu, sabayon, suse) and PC BSD comes lowest in BSDs, rest above it. HP-UX and Z/OS are server OSes, the former seen in offices, and the later only in ultra high server computers. So Z/OS has the highest class, and even having seen it with naked eyes or using it for just a few seconds is a great achievement.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Of course, Linux is for poor users. I send my biatch-arse wife to whore out every night as I sod off my lazy arse all night drinking. Then when she returns in the morning, I beat her to death and snatch all the money so I can pay for my license of Windows.

It takes two morons, one to say, one to listen.

Seriously, Linux is by choice and nothing else, if I had millions in my bank, Mark Shuttleworth would have had a nemesis in me.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I think the discussion is irrelevant here coz if we go by the assumption that "free" stuff is for poor users then hardly 1% people on this forum are rich!

Dude 'coz of you Steve Jobs lost lots of money ;).
hehe... :D I hope "Steve Jobs" doesn't become "Steve No-Jobs" :lol:

praka123

left this forum longback
Frankly I am not that poor that I cannot buy a Vista ultimate or a MBP.
It is by choice,especially the FOSS ideology that I likes Linux and more than GNU/Linux,the FOSS ideology put forward by RMS that I liked- although his ideologies will look like will not happen(Utopian).

I hate the boys who are FUDing about FOSS will not be able to provide programmers their daily bread and $$$.the FOSS model is yet to be evolved(evolving).

Linux users are NOT poor.they mostly are NOT technologically challenged(like n00b M$ and apple users) and most knows about FOSS and embrace the ideology which is the real fruit!
except few cracked nuts or psychos here and there :rolleyes: who are there to protect "programmers rights" :x
considering "pirates and OSS" - especially by hardcore M$ fans and those who are addicted to M$ programming platforms like .net gets on my nerves.

This is a way offtopic:
another basic reason is the monopolist proprietary movie/music companies/studios enforcing DRM on softwares,be it vista or DVDs.

There is absolutely NO right for these monopolists to enforce DRMing to unsuspected users.music studios and labels are NOT that poor also.
piracy cannot be stopped by DRMing!it is by cheaper prices that one can counter the effects.otherwise,blaming that those who are against DRM are supporting piracy are BS,IMO.
Infact, GNU/Linux is NOT the end,let BSD's too evolve.

I am always in OSS OS's for the good reason of DRM enforcement by morons there is simply NOT possible in GNU/Linux and BSD's :)

i agree with the thread windows rules
Windows rules???IMO it suxx big time.I am forced to use windows coz linux(Ubuntu) doesnt support my GPU.im dying to install it on my pc.
Tell me how many AV's ,Anti-spywares and firewalls u use to keep ur windows 'safe' and then after using linux for a week,tell me how many viruses,malwares and trojans u got in ur OS.You dont need any AV,anti-spyware,firewalll and all that bandwidth and ram eating reasource hogs.I dont intend to say that windows is crap and linux is the best.I need to use windows coz im a gamer by heart but for all other things i would prefer linux anyday.A genuine copy of Windows costs
u about 5-6K for what u can get a C2D proccy or even a whole PC.Linux is free.U can modify it in any way u want.one example is mac4lin which makes ubuntu look 10 times prettier than windows vista.
Give ubuntu a try if u havent tried it yet.I bet u wont regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom