Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
subratabera

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Cube
===
This is a free single and multi player 1st person shooter game with some satisfying fast oldskool gameplay. A large variety of gameplay modes from classic SP to fast 1 on 1 MP and objective based teamplay, with a great variety of original maps to play on...

*wouter.fov120.com/cube/

*wouter.fov120.com/cube/main_actioncube.jpg

Last edited:
OP
subratabera

subratabera

Linux Easter Egss
As with most Linux distros or Open-Source programs, there are several easter eggs in them, the hard part is finding them. We've done the work of searching the net for those that we could find, and here they are.

1. The Book of Mozilla
Open a Firefox, Mozilla, or Netscape tab or window, and type: “about:mozilla” in the URL field. You will get a message from the book of Mozilla, depending on your version, you will get 1 of 3 passages from here: *www.mozilla.org/book/

It is said that if it's done in Internet Explorer that it will give a blue screen similar to the wonderful BSOD.

2. Hidden Release Names
These funny “Ubuntu names” are stored in your Ubuntu kernel documentation files:

jonathan@highvoltage-t42 $ zcat /usr/share/doc/linux-image-`uname -r`/changelog.Debian.gz | egrep -e "Release"
The "Ben got a PowerBook for Christmas" Release.
The "Quickest re-release ever" Release
The "Oh crap, what did I get myself into?" Release.
The "Welcome Ben!" Release.
The "Morose Mungbean" Release.
The "Laughing Lentil" Release.

There’s also:

jonathan@highvoltage-t42 $ zgrep "The.*Release" /usr/share/doc/dpkg/changelog.Debian.gz
The "Good, clean fun" Release.
The "Bully's Special Prize" Release.
The "On like Donkey Kong" Release.
The "In like Flynn" Release.
The "Maidenhead Creeping Water Plant" Release.
The "Just kidding about the God part" Release.
The "Flatulent Elm of West Ruislip" Release.
The "? ????????????" Release.

3. OpenOffice.org Star Wars
Star Wars is only one of the games that are added in Oo_O, with a simple search around the net you'd be suprised by how many extras there are.

Open up OpenOffice.org2 Calc, then enter:
=Game(”StarWars”)
in any cell and press enter!

4. Apt-Get Fun
Apt-get and aptitude both have some nice little easter eggs, you have to work a little harder to get aptitude to cooperate. Note: The text in italics is what you type in at the termianl and the text after it is the response you get.

Open a terminal and run the following:

apt-get moo

(__)
(oo)
/——\/
/ | ||
* /\—/\
~~ ~~
….”Have you mooed today?”…

aptitude help
This aptitude does not have Super Cow Powers.

aptitude moo
There are no Easter Eggs in this program.

aptitude -v moo
There really are no Easter Eggs in this program.

aptitude -vv moo
Didn’t I already tell you that there are no Easter Eggs in this program?

aptitude -vvv moo
Stop it!

aptitude -vvvv moo
Okay, okay, if I give you an Easter Egg, will you go away?

aptitude -vvvvv moo
All right, you win.

/—-\
——-/ \
/ \
/ |
—————–/ ——–\
———————————————-

aptitude -vvvvvv moo
What is it? It's an elephant being eaten by a snake, of course.

This is a reference to Antoine de St. Exupery's "The Little Prince"

5. Gnome Fun
Under Gnome, press Alt+F2 (to execute a command), and then, type: "free the fish" (without the quotation marks of course).
You can also open the About Panels dialog box and press the "f" key three times.
A fish will then appear on the screen and will keep moving around. Apparently the only way to stop it is to kill the panel process.

Again, press Alt+F2 and type "gegls from outer space" (without the quotation marks of course). The result is a space invaders game but with cows

Source: *blog.fasttracksites.com/index.php?p=viewentry&id=5

eddie

El mooooo
Wow! Didn't know about the OOo one. Cool one :)
BTW for Mozilla there is another one. Try typing about:kitchensink in your URL bar and see.

mediator

Technomancer
Hi guys, Here's another shell script to make ur life easy!
Half of the 'how to' was gathered by me from some place else and the rest is purely mine!!

#!/bin/sh
# File info.sh by P.S.

echo "Hello $HOSTNAME!"
men()
{
echo -e "\n*********************************"
echo "0. Bring up the menu"
echo "1. CPU info "
echo "2. partition info "
echo "3. Memory info "
echo "4. Usb info"
echo "5. Graphic hardware"
echo "6. CDROM"
echo "7. Kernel info"
echo "8. Mac Address"
echo "9. EXIT "
echo "*********************************"
echo ""
}
men
while [ 1 ]
do
echo ""
echo -n "Option : ";read option
echo ""
case $option in
0)men;;
1)
echo "**** Host Info ****"
echo -e "\n--- CPU Info ---"
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep model
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep MHz
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep cache;;
2)
echo "****Partitions****"
cat < /proc/partitions
echo "**** more ****"
df;;
3)
echo -e "\n--- Memory Info ---"
cat /proc/meminfo | grep MemTotal;;
4)
echo -e "\n--- USB Hubs ---"
lspci | grep USB;;
5)
echo -e "\n--- Graphics Hardware ---"
lspci | grep VGA;;
6)
echo -e "\n--- CDROM ---"
dmesg | grep CD;;
7)
echo -e "\n-- Kernel Version ---"
cat /proc/version;;
8)
echo -e "\n-- Mac Info -- "
ifconfig -a | grep HWaddr;;
9)echo -e "\033[31m"
echo "Thanx 4 using mah script."
echo "If u need any help contact me at darkmediator@gmail.com"
echo -e "\033[0m"
exit;;
*)echo "Enter Valid options";;
esac
done

1. Make sure the commands like lspci,dmesg,ifconfig etc are in path!
2. . Save the above script as "hostinfo.sh"
3.. Run it as "sh hostinfo.sh"
4. Njoy!

NOTE : In the script where there's a smiley with black glasses, its actually "option 8". So please correct it urself. I dunno why it happened here, but the code became a smiley :oops: !

I hope u like it! Njoy the Linux the world !

OP
subratabera

subratabera

20 Must Read HOWTOs and Guides for Linux

Topics covered...
Advanced Bash Scripting
Bluetooth on Linux
Introduction to Linux
IPTables
Linux Administration Made Easy
Linux Complete Backup and Recovery
Linux Dictionary
Linux Encryption
Linux Gamers
Linux IPv6
Linux on the Road
Linux Security
Linux System Administrator’s Guide
Networking Overview
Online Troubleshooting Resources
Printing in Linux
Qmail & ClamAV
Unix Hardware Buyer
Wireless Networking
XWindow User

mediator

Technomancer
Here's a nice link of Open source packages!
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_software_packages

Typo cleared!

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
*avisynth3.unite-video.com/index.html

Avisynth 3.0 is a powerful frameserver for Windows and Linux. It aims at editing and processing videos in a non linear manner.

Aviysnth 3.0 is a complete rewrite of Avisynth 2.5, written from scratch by Bidoche (David Pierre). Its advantages compared to Avisynth 2.5 are the following:

* Abstract core layer that allows it to run on Windows and Linux.
* Better cache managing.
* More powerful script langage.
* Some more internal improvements.

OP
subratabera

subratabera

Fedora Helper for FC6 is out!!!

Fedora Helper is a shell script that facilitates installation of "forbidden items"--software that will not be included in the Fedora Core or Fedora Extras repositories because it is proprietary or legally encumbered.

Fedora Helper uses zenity to provide a graphical-user interface, and is loosely based on Fedora frog. Unlike Fedora frog, Fedora Helper only uses the Livna repository, and strictly forbids RPMforge and Livna repository mixing.

Fedora Helper for FC5 has the following features:
If zenity is not installed, Fedora Helper offers to install gnome-utils and its dependency, gnome-panel
Installs support for the Livna software repository when needed, unless RPMforge repositories are installed (using both the Livna and RPMforge repositories may cause package conflicts)
Installs MP3 support for all installed MP3 applications (i.e. amaroK, Beep Media Player, K3b, Rhythmbox, Xmms)
Installs DVD support for all installed DVD applications (i.e. MPlayer, Totem, xine, VLC)
Since the FC5-supplied version of Totem cannot play DVDs, totem-xine (Totem linked against xine-lib) is installed when selecting "DVD Support" if Totem is already installed
Installs the latest Win32codecs ("all" package) from *www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/codecs.html
Installs nVidia drivers
Installs ATI drivers
Installs Adobe Acrobat Reader and its Mozilla/Firefox plug-in
Installs Macromedia Flash Player and its Mozilla/Firefox plug-in
Installs Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and its Mozilla/Firefox plug-in; automatically selects JRE to be the "default java" using /usr/sbin/alternatives --config java
Installs Opera 9
Installs LimeWire
Installs RealPlayer 10

*www.brandonhutchinson.com/fedora-helper-fc5.png

Download
Source

OP
subratabera

subratabera

Here is another great FPS game for Linux...

Tremulous is a free, open source game that blends a team based FPS with elements of an RTS. Players can choose from 2 unique races, aliens and humans. Players on both teams are able to build working structures in-game like an RTS. These structures provide many functions, the most important being spawning. The designated builders must ensure there are spawn structures or other players will not be able to rejoin the game after death. Other structures provide automated base defense (to some degree), healing functions and much more...

*tremulous.net/promo/shots/promo02_thumb.jpg
*tremulous.net/promo/shots/promo03_thumb.jpg

Download

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
Graphical frame-program for easier use and setup the YUM install program. Displays the accessible packages on the package service sites with filter. Manage the settings of package services. Manage the cache used by YUM: free up disk space, manual install and transfer of downloaded packages. Displays detailed package information about the installed packages or package files. Displays the files in the packages with a program chosen by user.
*gnome-yum.sourceforge.net/

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
mediator said:
Here's goes @gary's autopatcher!
i think all the help scrpits available in most distro's are only for users with active internet broadband connection. and this one is also one of it.

i tried making some scripts for "Swift Starter" but its very hard for me to do it alone so i need for help of fellow members to take up the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom