length of lan wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

enjoy

Journeyman
I think the maximum length of a LAN wire can be 10 meters only (I read somewhere, cant recall where). More more than 10 meters you will need to use hub/repeater in between.

Correct me if I am wrong.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
hey who said u that??
i a seen ppl using 50 meters long wires. i think u need see if the wire if fine & check it both ends for a damage.

shaunak

Tux Fan
urvish_acharya said:
u can add repeater in between...otherwise no solution..LAN can only go up to 10 met
I myself connect to a switch 20 mts away using a single LAN cable. See if you have connected the connecters properly and the order of wiring is the same on both sides.

knoppix

Broken In
Ravi u can go upto 100 mtrs, if u r using a switch. Only after 100 mtrs u need a repeater. I suggest u check the connectors and use standard color coding for ur UTP cable.

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
I agree with Knoppix there is no issue till 100 meters just test the wire somewhere else and make sure everything is fine with the wire.

mediator

Technomancer
@ravi.xolve:

See there are various types of ethernet cables, some of em I can remember are :

1. 10BASE2 : Thin ethernet
THIN ETHERNET is the simplest, most flexible and has the range of 185 meters!!

2. 10BASE5 : Thick ethernet
Well there is THICK ethernet too with range of 500 meters!

3. 10BASE-T : Twisted pair ethernet
Range = 100 meters !

Ofcors after these ranges u have to use a repeater!

So yes ur case is OK! I think ur cable is damaged!
Have fun!

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
knoppix said:
Ravi u can go upto 100 mtrs, if u r using a switch. Only after 100 mtrs u need a repeater. I suggest u check the connectors and use standard color coding for ur UTP cable.
absolutely correct, lan wire can be stretched upto 100mts after that u need a repeater. chek ur connectors.

champ_rock

champ_rock
well i am using a 60m cat-5 cable which connects my pc to the nearest switch which is placed at a distance of 60m..

i have NO problem at all in using my internet.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom