Legality of dual installations of winXP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
I have single liscence for winXP and want to install it twice on my (SAME) computer but separate partitions (Dual Boot). Is it legal?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
adithyagenius said:
want to install it twice on my (SAME) computer but separate partitions
WHY *smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/upset.gif

since you're using it on same system (is it possible *smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/k/dontknow.gif), i think it will not be...

suraj

Journeyman
:mad: :mad: don't do it.....

It may legal, instade of installing the same window in different partion ,u can copy the all the file of that cd and keep it another partion.

thank
suraj

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
As I think it's not illegal. U can install it twice (different partitions) on same system.

OP
adithyagenius

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
I called microsoft india support hotline. They said its not legal.
@ Suraj
I didnt understand what you are trying to say.

G

gxsaurav

It should be legal, u better call them again & clearly mention the situation, that You are installing it on the same system, same hardware, same software, just twice.

It's not legal to install the same Windows XP on 2 computers, (it won't activate, unless u call MS tech support & tell it to them), or keep both the copies running at the same time. As the licensing terms state that u can run one copy on one computer only at one time. So technically, it should be leagl, cos the hardware is same in both windows installations

anandk

Distinguished Member
^ "...that u can run one copy on one computer only at one time..."

well technically, i think it may not be legal ;-)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
s18000rpm said:
Well, I did this once too, one clean install for normal usage, another for my stupid fool arounds, but those were the days when my parents too used to sit on the comp. Now that I alone run it, its no longer reqd. for me to do so :)

I guess its legal to do so, same hardware, one time only one thing is being used, cant see it violating EULA.

suraj

Journeyman
hi ..first take chance to install in another partition ,u know as it is for single user ,then why it's illegal.otherwise call again microsoft india and fallow them.

OP
adithyagenius

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Call centre woman told me that 2nd installation of xp will detect the first installation and say that both cant have same cd key.

amitava82

MMO Addict
adithyagenius said:
Call centre woman told me that 2nd installation of xp will detect the first installation and say that both cant have same cd key.

Microsoft's licence agreement says you can not install same OS in 2 or more different pcs. i dont think its illigal a you are installing in d same pc no matter how many times.. and i dont get it, how the 2nd installation will detect 1st one's key? as far i know during installation it checks if any previous os is installed or not, it does not ckeck CD keys.

how poor these call center females are in terms of knowledge...

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Well who mans call centres. The people there are trained to answer questions in a stereotyped manner. I haven't had much success interacting with customer care of any company so far, be it my mobile operator or anyone else. Every time I call customer care a different executive has a different story to tell and a different explanation to offer. The only nice thing is they are very polite in their manner. Don't expect much. In your case since you choose to install genuine Microsoft Windows twice on the same system you are not breaking any laws to the best of my knowledge, for reasons already outlined above :)

And @amitava82, call centre males are no better, they're equally bad

saurav29

Waiting for 3 Miracles...
adithyagenius said:
I have single liscence for winXP and want to install it twice on my (SAME) computer but separate partitions (Dual Boot). Is it legal?

Go ahead and do it man i am using it installed the same windows twice and same day activated both of them from the microsoft web tool.. with same cd key........... my reasons ( with all antivirus and softwares running the computer tends to slow down do not like the slow speeds while gaming......)

Though i will advise you use seperate hadrdisks instead... will work rather well you see with 2 hdds

Here is the drill.....

intall windows on one hdd.... disconnect it and install on second hdd you can select which to boot from by bringing up the boot device menu mine is F8 check bios for your key you can select hdd from which you wanna boot from...

About legality and stuff.... the microsoft clearly suggest that you cannot install it on two machines. None boundation is listed for number of times installation on the same machine... since the machine do not change.. They will not come after you with all those running there pirated copies i donot think that they will punish you for this... so stop worrying..

Remember man you bought it and so you own your copy and nobody will tell you otherwise..........

If the web tool says that number of times windows activated is finished.. i think they allow you to activate three times in 120 days.. after that its reset... No worries man just call the customer number you will get from tool itself and give them the installation code and they will give you the activation code... (NOte: CC guys are surprisingly understanding and helpful give them any cock and bull story if they ask you... My guess they wont ask anything theay will just need insatllion code and give you your activation key)

The logic is that an installion id is generated on the basis of few constraints that make up the system if you get activation code the first time from CC guys then it will remain same for the second time too.) I am not sure though........

whatever man..........
Go Ahead
peace
Raj

NucleusKore

TheSaint
saurav29 said:
Remember man you bought it and so you own your copy and nobody will tell you otherwise..........

No dispute with your solution. Just one MINOR detail, windows can NEVER be owned, its always licensed to use :)

sakumar79

Technomancer
@gxsaurav, see the licensing statement says you can run one copy on one computer only at one time... And you said one computer only, so it is fine... But you missed the "one copy" part. That means, at a given time, it can have one copy only. Legally speaking, a side-by-side installation will require you to have a second license.

Arun

OP
adithyagenius

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
saurav29 said:
Go ahead and do it man i am using it installed the same windows twice and same day activated both of them from the microsoft web tool.. with same cd key........... my reasons ( with all antivirus and softwares running the computer tends to slow down do not like the slow speeds while gaming......)

Though i will advise you use seperate hadrdisks instead... will work rather well you see with 2 hdds

Here is the drill.....
<deleted to make the qoute smallers
Raj

I wanted two copies for the same reason. But I ran out of good which need a lot of tweaking for running at highest settings with min FPS 25+.

So until hl2 ep2 comes I can play with antivirus and all default windows services and mu torrent running in background.

I wanted to know if you ever used linux instead windows as the "normal operating system" while winxp is the gaming system. Has anyone tried it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom