Learn photography with me

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Rishi, you may find this tool useful *www.tamron-usa.com/lenses/learning_center/tools/focal-length-comparison.php

it goes from 10mm to 500mm, that's about a 50X zoom if you look at how P&S are rated.

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=17225]Rishi[/MENTION] ...I performed your exercise :D

keep eye on the window besides the green flag

17mm
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7050/13349743854_33185cf9b3_z.jpg
17mm by sujoypackrasy, on Flickr

50mm
*farm3.staticflickr.com/2870/13349502013_bc986418a8_z.jpg
50mm by sujoypackrasy, on Flickr

150mm
*farm4.staticflickr.com/3782/13349500893_563e1b4640_z.jpg
150 by sujoypackrasy, on Flickr

500mm
*farm4.staticflickr.com/3763/13349361865_0f7628c1b3_z.jpg
500mm by sujoypackrasy, on Flickr

Hrishi

^THanks Sujoy and izziko , that gave me a rough estimate that how much close can I get to my subjects using what focal length.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Day before yesterday, I had little free time. Thought of going out to shoot for a challenge - "lines and patterns" (other forum). It was middle of the day... toooo hot. God... after two years of no rain, places are too dry. I was passing by the places where I could find a good subject for the challenge. But I didn't have the guts to ask them whether I can take photographs or not. Telling myself, on my way back I can ask them and take photographs. This might be one of the longest ride I took just to take photographs. I went to middle of nowhere and started shooting landscapes, nothing related to challenge. But it was fun...

Middle of a summer day... god, I was tired after a while. But still shooting landscapes. Later I found few subjects that could fit for the challenge. I was happy I saw them and took some photographs. I didn't shoot the ones I saw before (the ones I had to ask for permission). I went home. Looking at the pictures, now they don't seem to fit for the challenge. Even though there were lines and patterns, it seemed more like a landscape shots. :(
Thought of going again, but that's too far and I had no time. I wanted to get at least one, so again I went yesterday evening. This time, I stopped and asked for permission. :wow: kudos to me :D I can't believe that I asked... That's great :) But they didn't say yes :( I went on to the next place and I asked. Again NO. :(

Finally, I got one. Clicked. Kinda looked artsy. I thought that was a decent one. On my way back home, I shot some landscapes and few more like the ones I shot yesterday (lines and patterns in landscape shots). Suddenly, battery dried completely. Noticed that, this set needs conditioning now. Just from about 40% to 0% within few seconds to a minute. I thought I had extra batteries, but I forgot to bring them. :( Pack up...

I will share some of the photographs I thought they could fit for the challenge.

Why am I sharing this here?
Coz, most of the exercises we went through were street photography and needs to ask people before photographing them, which I couldn't do it then. Now I did asked few and I feel that's great. I took that first step. I guess, I will be little more confident when I shooting in public next time and mind less what people will be thinking about me.

kaz

right here
I can go shoot on street at my college place but at my hometown I couldn't dare to only because if someone from my acquaintance or relatives see me, they will start giving their wonderful opinions at home.... :(

sujoyp

Grand Master
Good nac soo you are working on street photography :) I also wont dare to ask permission...it feels idiotic..people ask soo many questions...
...but remember if you want to sell a street photograph with some subject like a kid, begger, sadhu, etc then you have to submit a model release thats a written permission from the model and submit it along with your pic ...without that pic wont be valid for selling.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Lots of people will buy images. Macrostock and microstock sites will sell images for you. Also for commercial images for ads and stuff you need a model release, for editorial its not mandatory

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
it's quite a lot of fun. If you are selling an image you get some really detailed and at times really critical feedback. If someone is paying money then they'll ensure that the image is technically perfect in all ways :). Also it's fun when an image sells and you find that some known website is using it. The money is not all that good though, especially for the amount of time and effort you need to put in to take and then process the image

TechnoBOY

Padawan
I can go shoot on street at my college place but at my hometown I couldn't dare to only because if someone from my acquaintance or relatives see me, they will start giving their wonderful opinions at home.... :(
yes u r very right :|

axelzdly1

mR.coNfusEd
me too, too shy :D
thought of buying a 35mm 1.8G to move towards street photography, but thats the only thing stopping me..
actually, been practicing and found out that I can do fine in unknown places, new places. Clicked some good ones during my recent trip to chennai. being a stranger, i had no problem pushing my lens over their faces. :)
and chennai has abundant scenes everwhere., especially the local MRTC, id spend the whole day in it.
Visiting again next week, hoping for some good ones. :) suggestions for some interesting places i can do?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Axel, There are plenty of places...
You wanna do street...
Sowcarpet, Ranganathan street, parrys corner, koyambedu market, marina beach...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Exercise: Signs that make a point

After a very long time, here is the one. When I started, I thought this exercise can be done easily. But it delayed for so long...

*i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/tkphotos1/IMG_4406_zps74ea3a18.jpg

TechnoBOY

Padawan
Exercise: Signs that make a point

After a very long time, here is the one. When I started, I thought this exercise can be done easily. But it delayed for so long...

*i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/tkphotos1/IMG_4406_zps74ea3a18.jpg
india !

Last edited:
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, it's India. :) The one next to the sign is TATA Indica. In front of Indica, that's Maruti Mini van and TATA Sumo, I guess.

Top Bottom