Learn photography with me

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sujoy, I don't know. Being comfortable photographing in streets needs a lot of experience, I guess.

Exercise: People Eating

Most of the exercises I find in this book are like street photography. If I remember correct, this is the first time author mentioning it in this exercise. To make the image more compelling pay attention to depict the interaction between participants not just the food to be visible in the frame.

Try not to draw attention and at the same time don't be sneaky. (I have tell this to myself many times, if I am trying this in a public place :) ) Google to get some idea.

sujoyp

Grand Master
it dont need experience but a pleasing personality with a smile on the face and confidence to ask, and say sorry :) being rude and egoistic is the worst thing to have in street photography

lm2k

Journeyman
Exercise: People's Soles

my Submission for the exercise
*farm6.staticflickr.com/5531/11415871643_2d2c9581d6_b.jpg
Camera-SX150IS, F4 for 1/1600th of second from 56mm focal length(35mm eq) when iso was 200. taken today.

main issue i m facing that the soles dont attract much attention and only the title of the image describes the subject and asks the viewer to see there.

BTW nice capture nac, taking the camera out in a public place really raises my heart beats!

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You tried to get it when the subjects is walking :) Nice...

Author is trying to say that these kinda exercises helps us to perceive things, like what kinda posture one get to get. Not making the sole as a subject, I guess.

Sujoy, What you are saying is, dress up good, wear a smile and be confident. When there is no confident, it's little obvious that there won't be any smile on the face but the weird confused look. :D May be we both are right. To up the confidence, try shooting more in public to get more experience.

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah yaah nac you are right ...I have seen videos of street photography ...the photographer litrelly talk to people around and make them comfortable rather then hiding behind a bush and shooting them ...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
EXERCISE: HEADS IN THE STREET

This is an exercise in street photography in which we depict heads in terms of their compositional and psychological aspects. The points (heads) has to convey information of the subject's behaviour or the things happening in their environment.

Refer the book for more details and google to get an idea.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
EXERCISE: HEADS IN THE STREET

This is an exercise in street photography in which we depict heads in terms of their compositional and psychological aspects. The points (heads) has to convey information of the subject's behaviour or the things happening in their environment.

Refer the book for more details and google to get an idea.

hey, i'm late here.. can you give me the link for the book please??

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
This is the book Preview of Photography : the art of composition [WorldCat.org]

It's just the preview...

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
oh good.. i have that book. :)

lets see if i can do something... :p
not comfortable about street photography. have some not so good experiences. :(

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Try when you think you are comfortable... May be some day we will find it comfortable shooting in the public.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
EXERCISE: SIMILAR OBJECTS

This exercise again involves street photography. It requires us to find and photograph people who hold or use similar objects not just similar or identical objects arranged in a pattern.

I am getting to understand little more depth of what the author is trying with these exercise. It's all about perceiving things/seeing skills.

You can find suitable settings in libraries, metro trains etc. Google to get an idea.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
EXERCISE: BOWLING

This is kinda sports photography which needs to be capture the image in split seconds. Fast lens would be much helpful to freeze the action. Of course we have to push the ISO at higher or may be highest to shoot at at least 1/60th of a sec. This exercise is to capture the pins being knocked by the ball.

Even though it's like a sports photography, we can't take photographs of someone in the public like we can do so in other sports like cricket, tennis etc. Now here it looks like a street photography, right? uff!!!! :( Ask for permission to take photographs... ;)

I don't know for sure whether there are any bowling alleys in my town. So I am moving to the next exercise. You guys can go ahead if there is any in your town and you're interested. :)

EXERCISE: MOUTHS IN MOTION

This exercise is intend to help us recognize and anticipate rapidly changing details and using senses other than sight. At least one person in the scene shoult be speaking, laughing or singing. Again this exercise we need to freeze the action. So fast lens would be good to get at least 1/60th of a second exposure.

Google to get some idea and refer the book for more details. Good luck. :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
EXERCISE: BIRDS IN FLIGHT

I am sure wannabe bird photographers would be interested in doing this exercise. The author has been suggesting to observe and analyze the environment and perceive/see things to make photographs better. Here in this exercise, I kinda think he emphasize little more on that part. I guess the photographer should have lot of patience to observe how the bird behaves in an environment.

As this exercise needs to freeze the action, we may need faster shutter speed. It's much better to try this exercise in day time as there will be plenty of light. If you're shooting against bright back lit sky, using -ive exposure would be helpful to get the exposure (for the subject "bird") right.

Google to get some ideas. And for more info, refer the book.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
EXERCISE: MOVING BALLS

This exercise is about how we observe the points (here it is a ball), and connect it with the surrounding environment/elements. Try and isolate the subject from the background and don't get it in a cluttered background.

Google to get an idea. Refer book for more info.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
EXERCISE: MOVING BALLS

*imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/823/jhys.jpg

*imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/543/wv6i.jpg

*imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/194/4jk3.jpg

Part one is over, out 20 I could only able to do 7 exercises. Others are still pending. Before moving to the next part, I am thinking of something fun and crazy... Let's see...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thank you...

It would be good, if there is some interaction. I guess I am not making an opportunity to let us guys to have some interaction or... I don't know... :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
We take a small break from the book and do an exercise completely different. You can click whatever genre you like, but something not straight out of the camera, something has some or extensive involvement of a image manipulation software or some of kind trick photography. Something crazy, funny, interesting...

To say a few... levitation, double exposure, turn your portrait into navi... anything you find interesting and have enough time to do that.

You can think of something on your own or you can refer someone's work/guide to do this exercise. Do post the link, if you refers and/or explain how you did this exercise in words/video or any other format you see comfortable.

How about we submit our work on or before republic day weekend...

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
We take a small break from the book and do an exercise completely different. You can click whatever genre you like, but something not straight out of the camera, something has some or extensive involvement of a image manipulation software or some of kind trick photography. Something crazy, funny, interesting...

To say a few... levitation, double exposure, turn your portrait into navi... anything you find interesting and have enough time to do that.

You can think of something on your own or you can refer someone's work/guide to do this exercise. Do post the link, if you refers and/or explain how you did this exercise in words/video or any other format you see comfortable.

How about we submit our work on or before republic day weekend...

Nice, I'll try something for this.
Meanwhile here's one of my post processed recent photo before and after with the video that helped with this.

Before
*imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/22/8dmq.jpg

After
*farm3.staticflickr.com/2816/11913410163_0dfb10c57b_b.jpg

Youtube Video to refer to (not mine)

Top Bottom