Kerala IT Firms Booked For Software Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
A three-member team from the legal department of Microsoft Corp inspected a few computer software companies here Thursday and found widespread use of pirated software.

Speaking to IANS, superintendent of police Arun Kumar Sinha confirmed that the legal wing of Microsoft had registered a complaint with them and sought assistance for conducting raids.

"Our officials assisted the Microsoft team in the raid at a few firms in Thiruvananthapuram and Kollam districts," Sinha said.

"We have found widespread use of their pirated software. The police has registered a case under the Copyright Act against the IT firms that have violated the rule of law," said Sinha.
Source: *www.tech2.com/india/news/software/kerala-it-firms-booked-for-software-piracy/24161/0

praka123

left this forum longback
saw it on malayalam channels.the news read M$ had already send notices to wholesalers regarding piracy.but what can a assembler/wholesaler can do when the idiot PIRATED windows user wants to live the life of pirate :x hence forcing the assembler to install pirated softwares .I hope they boycott M$ sales in kerala(yeah..i know pirates will force them to install winblow$).

still this is to intimidate pirated win users hence to buy legit copies of OS(esp for IT companies in the state).for a couple of weeks,M$ is posting adverts reg piracy(and the "importance" of vista :rolleyes:) in news papers and hoardings.

Linux adoption reduced the income which M$ is expecting from kerala.so...they did this raid!hoping people will buy from fear:mrgreen:,no way pirates are pirates.but those who want to leave piracy can use Linux.

But I hope assemblers association of the state should install Linux distros like ubuntu,fedora etc.dont install even if customer insists on windows pirated!:eek:

Vivek788

In the zone
yeah that is the real condition....the users must be given the option to choose linux...the assemblers must promote free OS so that they don't put themselves to legal probs....

x3060

A LOTR fan
we need Linux here in all assemblers . . but the sad thing is many dont even know how to install it :-(. how can you tell an assembler to install Linux and give if they dont know it :-(:-(:-(. it will take time . MS knows it too . remember we also had a raid last year too . and what happened ? NOTHING .

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
This is not a big news. Considering the fact that almost everybody in India use pirated software, why single out kerala?

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
What ms doesnt know is india is another china..piracy goes hand in hand..
No way to control it.
I am taken back that even it firms are installing pirated copies...
Instead of raids and cases,ms could reduce their price that is suitable for india..that will help both in sales and genuine user expirience...

praka123

left this forum longback
...and reg reports today in malayalam channels,the M$ and police raid halted abruptly when shop owners asked and forced the raid team to raid some "senior" police and gov officials residences and also some big companies in Technopark :lol:
and all Channels are reporting that due to the gov opted to Free Software M$ is not getting the marketing target.this lead them to conduct raid and sending the message to pirated windows users to buy licenses for xp or vista :D flopped!!!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
praka123 said:
...and reg reports today in malayalam channels,the M$ and police raid halted abruptly when shop owners asked and forced the raid team to raid some "senior" police and gov officials residences and also some big companies in Technopark :lol:
and all Channels are reporting that due to the gov opted to Free Software M$ is not getting the marketing target.this lead them to conduct raid and sending the message to pirated windows users to buy licenses for xp or vista :D flopped!!!
lawlz

din

Tribal Boy
@cool_techie_tvm

The software firms in news are from tvm !

Last time it was Cochin. May be they are targetting cities first.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
but ahy only sount India?I haven't heard of any such raids in here!

And why the hell is Police helping M$ directly?I mean shouldn't it be done through some cyber law enforcement agency or something?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
but ahy only sount India?I haven't heard of any such raids in here!

Cause the current Government in Kerala gave them the a kick in the shin :D .
*www.rediff.com/money/2006/sep/02microsoft.htm .

And why the hell is Police helping M$ directly?I mean shouldn't it be done through some cyber law enforcement agency or something?

Regardless of whatever the issue Police will be present to maintain the peace in the atmosphere. I guess they are there to identify pirated systems.

x3060

A LOTR fan
this is exactly what happened last year . . :), i told you na , it will vanish in thin air ;-)

i am expecting a raid at the end of next year too . . see ya next time ;-)

Last edited:

vaithy

In the zone
It is very bad in law that the police has assisted M$.. the I.T firms can hit back with counter complaint of unauthorised entry from M$.. After all company properties are not a public property but private one... In such case the due course open to the M$ is to obtain a search warrant from the local Magistrate.. and only afterwards police can assist M$ in such case..

Vaithy

jal_desai

In the zone
DARK LORD said:
Someone please give them my college's address too. I'd love to see that "Server 2003" dibba go away.

if they come to ur college... then send to my college too... :D

NucleusKore

TheSaint
If you really want anyone to get in trouble report End User Piracy here
*www.microsoft.com/india/piracy/EndUser_Piracy.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom