ive got 65 k to blow on a new PC

chiroo

Broken In
im finally upgrading from my Jurassic amd athlon xp ,ive got 65 grand but apart from the speakers (altec lansing vs4121 ,which has served me faithfully for the past 30 months ) i need everything ....i did visit my favorite shop in sp road ,bangalore recently ........ this is what i got

COMPONENTS PRICE
core i5 750 ....................... 9700***
corsair vx450...................... 3500***
2*2gb ddr3 1333 kingston......5100
seagate 500gb 7200.11 .........1900
coolermaster 690...................4000
benq e2400..........................12400
lg h55n DVD writer.................1050
logitech keb/mouse ................1250
sapphier HD radeon 5850..........15850***
sennheiser hd 201...................1500
apc 550 w ups........................1900
biostar tpower i55 ...................?????***
tv card ..................................?????
TOTAL______________________58150

NOW my questions
1) what is the market price of biostar tpower i55 AND a decent tv card ???

2) im using the PC for some mid level gaming ----1-2 hours each day for gaming + 2-3 hours for internet and photoshop so

A) is the core i5 ,RADEOON HD 5850 an over kill for my requierments and should i go for AMD PHENOM X4 and a lower spec. graphics card

B) is the power supply, ups enough for this above config ????

3) the components having a *** means im not sure about them
for the monitor is the benq 2400 better or 2420 ...im not sure about it but i need a 24 inch monitor

and i want it to be future proof for atleast 3 years

thank you all suggestions are welcome :-D

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

1. What is your MAX budget?
65,000 INR
2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
Definitely.
3. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
> lots Gaming at medium resolutions .
> photoshop ...i am gonna join some classes ,and maybe some basic animation too
4. Planning to overclock?
no want to run on stock settings
5. Which OS are you planning to use?
> Windows 7
> and some flavor of Linux just to fool around a bit.
6. How much hard drive space is needed?
> 500 GB ... 1 TB is not necessary for now ....if needed later ill add another 500GB latr
7. What resolution will the screen run at?
currently 1024 X 768 ..I ve got used to it ...so i think it will stay
8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
> 7
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
ive built desktops before i will be building this one too
10. When are you planning to buy the system?
> Within this month
11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
> nothings future proof but if this serves me well for the next 3 years ill be happy
12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
speakers
13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
> Bangalore; and prefer Bangalore
14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
i need a tv card badly and i have no knowledge in that dept.
i5 or i7 or phenom x6????? THIS IS A MAJOR HEADACHE

pushkar

Journeyman
chiroo said:
7. What resolution will the screen run at?
currently 1024 X 768 ..I ve got used to it ...so i think it will stay
That monitor is full HD, so you can easily use a resolution of 1920 x 1080. There is no reason to use such a low resolution as 1024 x 768 in today's times. It doesn't take anything to get used to, I shifted from 800 x 600 resolution to 1600 x 900 resolution after using the former for more than 5 years.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
i would recommend these -

Core i5 750 2.66GHz @ 9.5k
MSI P55-GD65 @ 8.2k
Kingston 2 * 2GB 1333MHz @ 5.2k
Sapphire HD5850 1GB GDDR5 @ 15.8k
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB @ 2k
LG H55N @ 1.1k
Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k
NZXT Gamma @ 2k
AOC 2236Vw 22" FULL HD LCD Monitor @ 8.7k
Logitech MX518 @ 1.3k
Logitech multimedia @ 0.4k
Sennheiser HD 201 @ 1.5k

Total - 60.4k

rest on a ups and tv card. others suggest please

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
That monitor is full HD, so you can easily use a resolution of 1920 x 1080. There is no reason to use such a low resolution as 1024 x 768 in today's times. It doesn't take anything to get used to, I shifted from 800 x 600 resolution to 1600 x 900 resolution after using the former for more than 5 years.

+1. yes. go for HD resolution. 1024X768 is old now with todays standards.

i would recommend these -

Core i5 750 2.66GHz @ 9.5k
MSI P55-GD65 @ 8.2k
Kingston 2 * 2GB 1333MHz @ 5.2k
Sapphire HD5850 1GB GDDR5 @ 15.8k
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB @ 2k
LG H55N @ 1.1k
Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k
NZXT Gamma @ 2k
AOC 2236Vw 22" FULL HD LCD Monitor @ 8.7k
Logitech MX518 @ 1.3k
Logitech multimedia @ 0.4k
Sennheiser HD 201 @ 1.5k

Total - 60.4k

rest on a ups and tv card. others suggest please

better go for Dell or Benq. also for UPS, go for a 800VA or 1100VA UPS from APC. cause if he into Photoshop works, it'll need some backup. also that rig will draw quite a bit of power.

Cilus

laborare est orare
i dont know much about monitors. this AOC one was recommended by digit...
The AOC one is a very good monitor at the price point and performance is alos very good. I', using the 19" AOC for long time. Only downside is, it is not glossy.
Also you can go for the BenQ 22" G2220 FULL HD LCD Monitor @ 7.5k.
It is also a very good monitor and got the best buy award by DIGIT in some recent Edition.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
hello veterans dont get offended but op wants 3 year future proofing .
why didnt you point out that lynnfield is gonna die after 7-8 moths .
and bloomfield wil die next august.?

if hes desperate , bloomfields the way to go for isnt it.

or maybe buy a dell laptop with that humougous budget and postpone the rig till march.

if a desktop should be bought ,then ill go with the above confg.
though i would look for benq g2220 hd for 7.5k as cilus said.
and if u are really get into animation.
i would suggest dell 2209wa e-Ips panel which will cost you around 15k
if you dont get a deall

go for e2200hd for 12k it has hdmi too.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
hello veterans dont get offended but op wants 3 year future proofing .
why didnt you point out that lynnfield is gonna die after 7-8 moths .
and bloomfield wil die next august.?

cause buddy. nowadays technology evolve so fast. futureproof word should be avoided. theres nothing futureproof now. this winter AMD Souther islands coming. successor to AMD evergreen family of GPUs. so. if you though HD5*** was futureproof, ask yourself now.

getting back to your question, i5 750 & the likewise processors enough powerful to go for about 3-4yrs. and if they feel slow OC them. they are highly OverClockable.

if hes desperate , bloomfields the way to go for isnt it.

its best to ask your pocket :grin:

go for e2200hd for 12k it has hdmi too.

~9k

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
No one can predict what will be happening one year from now, so 3 years is too long a time. However, if you talk future proof only from performance point of view, I think a HD5850 will be able to run games 3 years from now (at least at moderate settings).

And if you feel you will be uncomfortable with high resolutions, go for a 24" full HD monitor so that text (and other things) don't look too small.

Also if you use photoshop for professional purpose, get an IPS panel, otherwise Tn Panels are OK.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
yup i knew from the time cypress started crunching that whole radeon 5000 is a wip for 6000.

though a bit of dissapoointment sothern islands has been pushed back and only the
entry level 5400 and 5600 series are being replaced by caicos and turks by end of year.
dont know even thats goona come.

ya but if its lynnfield why not 860? its well within the budget.
and bloomfield will cost max 2k over his budget , but thats for OP's to decide.

860 will make the total go up buy 4.3k i.e. 64.7k.
if he chooses benq g2220 hd hell save 1.2k = 63.5k

cool buddy also says ips , so how good was my ips suggestion?

Cilus

laborare est orare
ctually aby geek is right, at least in some extent. Intel has a very bad reputation of backward compatibility. Whenever they release something new, they make sure it won't be supported in any of thheir old system. So for upgrading, probably you have to go for an extensive upgrade, which may not lead to a high performance upgrade all the time.

If you want something future proof, then AMD is much suggested as they have an excellent record of backward compatibility. Their AM3 processors are supported in AM2+ and even in the old AM2 motherboards.
And they have already cleared that their upcoming 32nm X6 processors can be used with current gen AM3 borads (7XX and 8XX chipset).

So I am suggesting an AMD config also. May be gaming it will be a little behind the Core i5 750, but will be far more future proof.

Here goes the suggestion

Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz @ 9.6k
Biostar TA890GXE @ 6.6k
Kingston 2 X 2 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 @ 5.4k
SeaGate 1 TB (32 MB Cache) @ 4k
Cooler Master GX-650W @ 5.5k
Zebronics Reaper or NXT Gama without SMPS @ 2k (approx)
Keyboard And Mouse @ your choice @ 1k
BenQ 22" G2220 FULL HD LCD Monitor @ 7.5k
PowerColour HD5870 1GB GDDR5 @ 24k

Total is 65.6k. In most of the cases you will get street price lower than the mentioned. So better opt for it.

Reason:
1. Gaming: Although 1055T is not as good as Core i5 750 in gaming, you can now accomodate an HD 5870 and 1055T+HD 5870 is better than HD i5 750 + HD 5870.

2. Multitasking: In multi tasking and multi threaded applications, X6 is having an advantage due to its extra 2 cores

3. Most Important Futureproof: It is far futureproof than any intel based solution as AMD's upcoming processors will fit in the 890 Chipset without any complain. So future upgrade for next 2 Yr I think won't be any problem

4. Features: AMD always offer better feature set than Intel. You will have SATA 3 and USB 3

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
ctually aby geek is right, at least in some extent. Intel has a very bad reputation of backward compatibility. Whenever they release something new, they make sure it won't be supported in any of thheir old system. So for upgrading, probably you have to go for an extensive upgrade, which may not lead to a high performance upgrade all the time.

this one reason Intel launches a new platform for ever new processor generation. cause previous platforms can act as bottlenecks.

If you want something future proof, then AMD is much suggested as they have an excellent record of backward compatibility. Their AM3 processors are supported in AM2+ and even in the old AM2 motherboards.
And they have already cleared that their upcoming 32nm X6 processors can be used with current gen AM3 borads (7XX and 8XX chipset).

is it really so? than it'll be great. though i feel the APU wll require new motherboard.

1. Gaming: Although 1055T is not as good as Core i5 750 in gaming, you can now accomodate an HD 5870 and 1055T+HD 5870 is better than i5 750 + HD 5870.

you mean to say i5 750 + HD5850, maybe.

OP
C

chiroo

Broken In
thank you guys ....i think AMD is the way to go ...ive been using mine for the last 6 years and still works like a charm :smile:

so i will get a 1055t then ,please sugest a good board and a card to go with it
will a 550 W psu be enough ? ...if i get these things right i can manage the rest

...and what is the news about sata 3 and usb 3.0 ???

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

thank you mate i think it wont be a problem :p

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
am3+(am3r2) will be released with bulldozer . the r2 chips will work in r1 but with some features disabled.

so no wories i think a 890 based board is gonna go long way.
in the end it comes down to the vendor writing the bios .

smack them hard on the back of the neck if they waste your money.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
will a 550 W psu be enough ? ...if i get these things right i can manage the rest

get a board based on 880G or 870X if you don't require CrossfireX (2X HD5870 in Xfire :shock:)

for crossfire, look out of 890GX based board (though Biostar's 890GX don't have crossfire).

about PSU, 550W can handle. though i'll suggest go with a 650W from Corsair or Cooler Masters GX series.

both will take time to become mainstream. cause conventional HDDs not fast enough. also USB 3.0 external HDDs & pen drives damn costly.

Cilus

laborare est orare

The Biostar motherboard I suggested is already having SATA 3. Read the detail specification here. You can add Add-On Cards released by ASUS, Via etc as less as $30 to add USB 3 functionality.

I already suggested PowerColour HD5870 1GB GDDR5 @ 24k. The most powerful single GPU card from ATI and when overclocked, easily match the Nvidia GEforce 480.
The power requirement for HD 5870 is little high. So I mentioned the 650W PSU, to be at safe side. If you go with HD 5850, then the Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k will be sufficient.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
am3+(am3r2) will be released with bulldozer . the r2 chips will work in r1 but with some features disabled.

so no wories i think a 890 based board is gonna go long way.
in the end it comes down to the vendor writing the bios .

chances are the onboard memory controller won't work or the Northbridge will be turned off (provided the chips ships with inbuilt graphics).

smack them hard on the back of the neck if they waste your money.

:rofl: OP will go to Taiwan to kick Biostars a**

OP
C

chiroo

Broken In
@ cilius thank you dude :) ill stick with 5850 HD ,550W PSU

@ aby geek ,sam.shab LOL

and anyone with some know how about tv cards ????

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

and guys i saw this recently there are 2 1055t prossys

Phenom IIX6 1055T(HDT55TFBK6DGR),2.8GHz,125W,rev.E0
Phenom IIX6 1055T(HDT55TWFK6DGR),2.8GHz,95W,rev.E0

what is the difference between 95W and 125W version

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
and guys i saw this recently there are 2 1055t prossys

Phenom IIX6 1055T(HDT55TFBK6DGR),2.8GHz,125W,rev.E0
Phenom IIX6 1055T(HDT55TWFK6DGR),2.8GHz,95W,rev.E0

what is the difference between 95W and 125W version

the 95W version coming Q3-Q4 2010. it maybe available, not sure but AMD will lower TDP to 95W & maybe stepping to E1 or E2.

Cilus

laborare est orare
and anyone with some know how about tv cards ????
I think you mean TV Tuner card. Well it basically lets you watch TV in your PC. You need to connect it to your Cable service provider.
It can be internal, need to plugged it to your PCI or PCI E (for the new ones) slot or External, connected to your PC via USB.
The simple ones, priced within 1k, only let you watch TV, but the advanced versions let you watch TV, records TV show, Live TV Pause, Schedule Recording etc. Normally you can connect any kind of analogue sorces to it like your old VCR/VCD, miniDV(digital) and Hi-8 handy-cams to it and record the data in your computer.
Most of them save data in MPEG1/MPEG2 and MPEG4 (Mpeg 4 ASP or Divx/Xvid) format, but the new ones let you save in H264 or Mpeg4 AVC format, which means gr8 quality in less size.

Avermedia AverTV Super M733 PCI TV Tuner Card is a very good card to start with. Priced at 1.3k, it supports almost all the features mentioned above. Check the details here.

Top Bottom