Issue with Palit HD4850 Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

megahashim

Right off the assembly line
Guys, guys, guys... thank you so much for your posts. Sorceror, RMN, TopGear, tkin... Really gave me more to think upon. :p

Just wanted to update you on my progress. I gave my card to the distributor, "Thirupathi" for damage check and replacement.
Just a small flashback... :rolleyes: a while ago "Thirupathi" delivered the card in question to another dealer. The customer it seems complained of the same issue that we are facing. In that particular case, the issue turned out to be the PSU (sorry but I do not know which make). Replacement of PSU solved the issue, it seems. :eek:

In my case I tried my card with my CM-600W. For test purposes (having read Sorceror’s post), I then tried my card on a totally different system which had a CM-500W PSU, which has been successfully giving WOW performance for a stock HD4850 (GeCube) since the last 8 months. But MY CARD…! Well we know where this story ends… :cry: Hence I finally decided to give it up for replacement.

So, as I was saying, the disti. did argue that they did not face any problems when testing my card, even with different PSUs. :| Anyway at my persistence, they agreed to send me a new piece. I just want to rule out the fact once and for all in MY CASE, that the issue is with the card. Once I get the new card, I shall test it on my system, with different PSUs too, and keep you updated on the results.

Once again, thank you all for your insights. Sorceror, since you seem to be well informed on PSUs, could you please suggest to me good PSU brands to use with…
1. HD 4850
2. HD 4870
Please do suggest the wattage required also for the above, and if it is relevant, for 512MB and 1GB versions also. Thank you :)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Once again, thank you all for your insights. Sorceror, since you seem to be well informed on PSUs, could you please suggest to me good PSU brands to use with…[/FONT][/COLOR]
1. HD 4850
2. HD 4870
Please do suggest the wattage required also for the above, and if it is relevant, for 512MB and 1GB versions also. Thank you :)
I'd say the Corsair VX450 would be an ideal choice. Have been using my GeCube HD4850 and is pretty rock solid.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys, guys, guys... thank you so much for your posts. Sorceror, RMN, TopGear, tkin... Really gave me more to think upon. :p

Just wanted to update you on my progress. I gave my card to the distributor, "Thirupathi" for damage check and replacement.
Just a small flashback... :rolleyes: a while ago "Thirupathi" delivered the card in question to another dealer. The customer it seems complained of the same issue that we are facing. In that particular case, the issue turned out to be the PSU (sorry but I do not know which make). Replacement of PSU solved the issue, it seems. :eek:

In my case I tried my card with my CM-600W. For test purposes (having read Sorceror’s post), I then tried my card on a totally different system which had a CM-500W PSU, which has been successfully giving WOW performance for a stock HD4850 (GeCube) since the last 8 months. But MY CARD…! Well we know where this story ends… :cry: Hence I finally decided to give it up for replacement.

So, as I was saying, the disti. did argue that they did not face any problems when testing my card, even with different PSUs. :| Anyway at my persistence, they agreed to send me a new piece. I just want to rule out the fact once and for all in MY CASE, that the issue is with the card. Once I get the new card, I shall test it on my system, with different PSUs too, and keep you updated on the results.

Once again, thank you all for your insights. Sorceror, since you seem to be well informed on PSUs, could you please suggest to me good PSU brands to use with…
1. HD 4850
2. HD 4870

HD 4850 Consumes
47-110W

HD 4870 Consumes
69-151W

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I shall resurrect the psu guide tomorrow morning which includes psu recommendations as well which i have put in another Indian tech forum and made a large impact. I also got major points in regards to multiple rails cleared up but its still bit of a confusion :p. Since I made a major changes but didnt make a point to put it up here due to my other obligations. cm extreme series psu eventually kills a system. Once the psu guide is up, I wish if mods will sticky. If not, the regulars can always bookmark it and give the link to people with similar query.
For 4850- vx450 hands down. But be aware that the price has gone as high as 4.2- 4.5k. I used to remember this beast used to be available for 3.2k, but major sales got tirupathi enterpise tick for profit.

OP
R

RMN

In the zone
@sorcerer
hey listen...
these are the components im using with my eXtreme Power 600W
-HD4850
-Q6600
-3fans(non-led)
-3HDDs(160,120,40)
-DVD combo

my room temp on avg is 30c and i have not OCed anything.
so far ive not faced any power related issues so can my PSU still be "slowly killing my rig"?
is there anyway to know if the components are getting affected?

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
@ nvidia geek: corsair vx450 is Seasonic 500w OEM which is known to be stretched till 650w at 100% peak load. Not I recommend to put these psu on 100% load. 80% on efficiency tested on 50 degrees celcius of operational temps. I think corsair vx450 gtx280 but not sure. It can run in the ranks of gtx 260 cor 216 and 4850- maybe 4870 but I havent seen one rig doing so would recommend something like vx550 or real power 550w for 4870.
@ RMN: I dont see why it wont since its not OCed. Its not that crappy- but the labeling is wrong and the price is too much for a psu which is pretty outdated. The seventeam's 500w has a copper heatsink, but this one doesnt. I also found posts from other forums that some of the cm extreme models have hupoxy resin between the capacitors to make sure they dont touch each other. CM has history of degrading their stuff once the sales volume goes high- but many pc peripheral makers do a lot these days. Even a cm extreme plus 460w is a better buy over this if one buys a psu now. But extreme versions are something which is there from amd anthlon days- atleast the 500w extreme pcap (most likely) since a friend of mine got it long time ago. But if the budget allows you to change, I would recommend to do so. To tell the truth, I found that sub standard surge protectors are also another reason for potential damage as well- but I am well verse with the psu and not other components like ups (didnt need one) and surge protector (Using belkin surge protector since I found mx and those 200 buck walla so called protectors to have 20 AWG wires and a copper coil with a fuse).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom