Is it worth to update from Phenom II 955 to FX8350 in 3 to 4 months down the line?

saz

Journeyman
Hi,

My current config is mentioned in my signature (GPU currently is 6870). I am getting a 6 months old Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 for 9k. So is it worth buying this mobo currently and may be down the line after 3 to 4 months change my processor to FX8350?

Or my current config would be good enough for a couple of years more?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
saz

saz

Journeyman
I am talking about ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX Motherboard - ASUS: Flipkart.com motherboard

OP
saz

saz

Journeyman
Product is 6 months old with all accessories intact and with original bill (the mobo has 5 years warranty). But is my upgrade path worth investing in the mobo?
i.e. from Phenom IIX4 955 to FX 8350 in another 3-4 months.

One more thing I ant to highlight is that I have Corsair H50 water cooler as well, so I would probably indulge in overclocking soon.

Product is 6 months old with all accessories intact and with original bill (the mobo has 5 years warranty). But is my upgrade path worth investing in the mobo?
i.e. from Phenom IIX4 955 to FX 8350 in another 3-4 months.

One more thing I ant to highlight is that I have Corsair H50 water cooler as well, so I would probably indulge in overclocking soon.
> I'm not sure if AM3 chips can fit in an AM3+ socket, so let other members comment on that.

> FX 8350 + 990FX Sabertooth + H50 is a great overclocking combo!

OP
saz

saz

Journeyman
Ok Thanks, but will my current setup survive (performance wise) for another year or so? If I upgrade to Asus Sabertooth 990fx and then later on to FX 8350...I would be spending somewhere around 20k on CPU+Mobo. So my concern was...will it be a wise decision?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Get the Motherboard ASAP from the seller before somebody offers him more money. 9K for a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 with 4 and half years of warranty is a steal. But check the Serial Number of the Motherboard and the bill...if they are matching or not.
Regarding Processor upgrade, although FX-8350 is a good upgrade over your existing 955 BE, I think the current processor can still serve the purpose for couple of months if overclocked a little, say 3.8 GHz with the help of a good CPU cooler. IMO, you should upgrade directly upgrade to Steam Roller which will also be compatible with AM3+ socket.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Yes. I also have the same processor and I barely had any LAG or Performance issue with most software. Also on Liquid cool you can push it to 4GHz+. As Cilus suggested wait for Steam Roller. I am waiting for that as well. Hoping for a Better Single Thread performance than current line offers.
Single thread performance of AMD is pathetic compared to SIMILAR priced Intel. Even the latest 8350 doesn't improve much on this count even if compared with phenoms.

OP
saz

saz

Journeyman
the person who was selling the asus 990fx sabertooth is currently not selling the mobo, but I have some other options.....how are the following options:
1. Asrock 990fx extreme4 @8.2k
2. Biostar 990fx @7k

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
^ that's a sad news. Did by any chance the seller read this thread?
any particular reason you want to go for a 990fx based board?

for a single card setup with FX 8350, a 970 based board will suffice

OP
saz

saz

Journeyman
actually seller is interested in selling both fx8120 and sabertooth but the buyer for his procci backed out, he offered me the combo but I was not interested in processor. The only reason I wanted to go for 990fx bcz I was getting sabertooth mobo at a good price :D

Top Bottom