Inviting Stll More Opinions on Panasonic FZ47 (or) Canon SX240 Hs

titlingkm

Broken In
Hi frenzz,
I am need some more opinions from photography enthusiasts..
I am going to purchase my first camera...
my budget now 16,000 ..
I narrowed to Canon SX240Hs and Panny FZ47..(ebay offering both at 16k)..
I impressed by FZ47 due to EVF and spec(2.8 aperture,25mm wide and its look&design) but sx240 for its image quality..(and doubting whether can we take good blur background shot in 240)..
Early i made a post early on this but only nac gave his opinion, i am seeking more opinion from more activists to take my decision.
Thanks to nac for giving his VALUABLE suggestion on my previous thread...

My preference stands on Image Quality,Low Light,Video Quality,Full Manual Controls,Macro etc., I planning for BirdLife
Overall, I need a best camera in my budget to start my journey in Photography..
Pls suggest and give your valuables..
Actually i plan to purchase today but i cant take decision due to lesser idea..
Also give ADvantages and Disadvantage which will be really useful to make quicker decision..
Pls help dudes..

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
1. the first thing you must understand is that most P&S cameras have "BAD" low light performance so dont expect to shoot in the dark and get stellar images it just wont happen, you will get some noise in the image.

a plus point goes to the panasonic FZ47 because of CCD Sensor expect good photo with a short shutter time i.e. a little better low light performance than the canon.

The blur background shot will depend upon the focus mode which you are using, i am sure that with macro you can get that but it is valid only for very small objects. You should confirm with someone wether sx 240HS has a portrait mode.

both cameras have optical IS - which is very very important for shooting macro and general as well

another plus point to panasonic for its lens. LEICA has been known to make highest quality components so i suggest the panasonic FZ47.

However if you dont want to take photos in dark, then get the sx 240 HS it is your best bet.

But i have to ask why not spend another 3k and get a proper micro-four thirds olympus ? E-PL1. it is a fantastic camera and blows any of these out of the water in JPEG images.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
CMOS sensors have come a long way and are better than CCD now. (Probably that is the reason why even Panasonic chose CMOS in FZ150 as well as FZ200) Also Leica in FZ series have the same significance as Carl Zeiss branding in Nokia phones. Leica does make very good lenses... but they are hand crafted and therefore much costly.In FZ series it is probably just branding

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
CMOS sensors have come a long way and are better than CCD now. (Probably that is the reason why even Panasonic chose CMOS in FZ150 as well as FZ200) Also Leica in FZ series have the same significance as Carl Zeiss branding in Nokia phones. Leica does make very good lenses... but they are hand crafted and therefore much costly.In FZ series it is probably just branding

but op requirement lists : Video Quality, and CMOS sensor based cameras have rolling efffect.

also @OP if you want to do still "nature" photography then i suggest get a tripod also .

also cmos offers better low light performance only when the sensor is "backside illuminated" which i dont think you will find in a sx 240 HS

"

Leica is a registered trademark of Leica Microsystems IR GmbH. *The Leica DC lenses are manufactured using measurement instruments and quality assurance systems that have been certified by Leica Camera AG based on the company's quality standards. *All other company and product names are trademarks of their respective corporations.

"

Rockstar11

Technomancer
but op requirement lists : Video Quality, and CMOS sensor based cameras have rolling efffect.

also @OP if you want to do still "nature" photography then i suggest get a tripod also .

also cmos offers better low light performance only when the sensor is "backside illuminated" which i dont think you will find in a sx 240 HS

"

Leica is a registered trademark of Leica Microsystems IR GmbH. *The Leica DC lenses are manufactured using measurement instruments and quality assurance systems that have been certified by Leica Camera AG based on the company's quality standards. *All other company and product names are trademarks of their respective corporations.

"

Sony DSC-HX20V

Exmor R™" CMOS sensor utilises a unique back-illuminated technology and is twice as sensitive to light as conventional CMOS sensors. Its heightened sensitivity ensures superb-quality images with extremely low noise,even when they are taken in dark environments. And with Extra High Sensitivity technology that is automatically activated when shooting in low light conditions, you can enjoy image recording at maximum resolution.

Last edited:
OP
T

titlingkm

Broken In
HX20V lacks full manual control!!
and
Prashanth..which is ur choice based on unscientific testing..??
becoz by spec we cant decide..except aperture(2.8),wide,and evf..

angel my..budet likely be wihin 16k itself dear

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
I prefer canon because it has better IQ than other point and shoots in 20k range (barring the one Nikon with bigger sensor ). Although there are no direct comparisons with fz 47 but I have not read many positive reviews about it either

OP
T

titlingkm

Broken In
and also if i go Olympus model i need to purchase a lens..i dont know what is the price cost will be??

ok..ok..i have a doubt prashanth..is it possible to make good photograph with background blur effect in sx240hs??
sorry if its silly..

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Regarding sx240. Yes it is possible to get background blur. You may find a few examples in my flickr collection flickr.com/photos/marvelprash

OP
T

titlingkm

Broken In
Ya.. i seen ur collections..that squirrel is really marvelous... awesome..

hi prashanth.. that leaf with water drops really good.. any software help?? Excellent work

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
and also if i go Olympus model i need to purchase a lens..i dont know what is the price cost will be??

ok..ok..i have a doubt prashanth..is it possible to make good photograph with background blur effect in sx240hs??
sorry if its silly..

you get a standard 14-42mm lens with the camera bundled i.e. you pay 19k (lowest on ebay) for whole camera + lens bundle. You can always upgrade the lens later.

sujoyp

Grand Master
background blur is easy for a zoom camera...just zoom fully on max aperture on 3-4 feet away subject and u will get nice BG

I found FZ47 very nice actually....yes the pic quality and ISO is poor then SX240....but better zoom,bracketing,better flash,better grip,evf, f2.8, some intelligent modes, Good stabilisation, nice macro mode make it a good buy too.

What I read is fz47 need some post processing on pics to get better quality and sharpness...also it have 3D mode :D

To use FZ47 dont go above ISO 800 and if needed use flash and if u want very good quality at night u have to use a cheap tripod :)

Ex this pic is taken with fz47

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8307/7815838324_1c9507819d_n.jpg
P1020960 by nerifisio, on Flickr

sujoyp

Grand Master
donno y he used rynox filter in this shot...since fz47 can shoot 1cm macro....rynox 250 is costly

OP
T

titlingkm

Broken In
ok k.. any good software for post processing.. I dont know photoshop..because i planned to do some post processing from fz47 images to know the quality for comparison..

I really admired by hardware of FZ47 but its performance in images getting me so tired... I cant leave this FZ47 hardware as well as expecting SX240hs clarity image...:wink:..I think i am undergone a mad research to buying a camera...ever in past not done such a research for any product...GOd..

sujoyp

Grand Master
he he he ....it happens :) I am also in similar dellema between D300,D300s and D7000 ;) and its such a pain

I think for picture quality SX240 is unbeatable in that range

For processing u can use Lightroom,Picasa,...gimp and photoshop is better for advance users

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Titlingkm,
It happens man :D when you do a lot of research... Hope you will buy one before diwali (this diwali or next :? ) ;)

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
In case op has not already ordered I would like to change my choice to fz47. I read a couple of reviews. Thing is sx 240 gives better image quality at all iso levels. However you would require higher iso to get that shot on sx 240 because of smaller aperture. I don't think Iso 800 from sx240 can outmatch iso 400 from fz47. So unless you are shooting still objects fz47 will have the edge

Top Bottom