Interstellar (2014) Movie Discussion *Spoilers Ahead*

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
water bed was some oxygen rich liquid substituting for oxygen, similar one was used in the movie Abyss
Liquid breathing

the bed itself keeps the astronauts in Suspended animation which is a way of putting people into a hibernation like state... there are various effects of this process when people are woken up from it. For example, there is nausea in the movie Oblivion. It could be Cryopreservation in the movie, not sure, there weren't any frost effects or visibly cold things, as far as I can remember.

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
i am waiting for next weekend to watch this movie, anyway, about time, check page number 3 of this thread, about my post, i have posted something there..

(go back in time and see my post :) )

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So back from the movies. Couldn't keep myself away from a few spoilers before watching the movie so the movie was not much of a surprise to me. But the 2nd half was way engrossing than 1st as I had expected. Read this thread completely. And apart from the explanation given by sam_738844 I think I understood a lot of them.

Looks like Nolan likes to mess (another good word would be the F word) with viewers mind and that's why he creates movies such as this and Inception. It also occurs to me that Time Manipulation is his favorite subject. And that's one thing which is making Nolan one of my favorite director after Spielberg.

As for the Interstellar itself, the movie did try to do things which are bigger than itself. I think among all the reviews on this thread sam_738844 explains it the best. Hence quoting here again:

... a great director should not forget the fundamentalist's tenet, a movie is a visual experience. A movie that is so rich in data, so incredibly dull and drab in CGI, that these don't couple! When its a movie about interstellar space travels, spinning black holes, time dilation and perceptive space-time paradoxes, it should be a movie where people's jaw will drop in awe by the CGI, not a movie where fixed camera shots and half-baked panoramic space images.

And Nolan...its nothing new ok! Gravity is way ahead of this movie if you take the experience about the SPACE into account. This could be the movie of the century with that mind-boggling story and information that is so incontrovertibly true and enigmatic in the history of particle and astrophysics. This could be the dogma of all sci-fi movies. But Nolan you played low-ball again in the graphic effects , I noticed this in Dark Knight series too, it dint hurt much. But for Interstellar, its unforgivable.

The CGI was not only minimal but it felt a little too minimal. A minimalistic CGI can be a good thing if the focus is on story. But I think the film lacked in this department too. Fixed camera shots were too many and too bad. I feel comparison with Gravity and Contact is fair. Gravity was surreal for its "Space" experience. Contact was good in Space exploration. Heck I would say Contact is still miles apart in "Space exploration" story. (Contact was one of the film that made me fall in love with this genre and made me like Jodie Foster).

So what we can say about Interstellar. The science? I can't comment about that yet since I have been out of touch with Science for years now. And will do after I watch that Discovery channel documentary about the movie. But the film did lead to many real life discoveries so that can't be too bad.

Anyhow, some things I understood from the movie (and correct me if I learned wrong):
1. Wormholes if they exist will look Spherical cause you know its actually a circle in 3D.
2. Blackhole in the movie was created Only for cooper to communicate with her daughter.
3. We should not allow children to play football when they are traveling in a cylindrical spaceship cause it will break windows of houses directly above.
4. We should not do anything in our bedroom that we don't want our parents to see in case they happen to keep an eye on us while stuck in singularity. (oh sh!t)

As for someone who was wondering how the astronaut could walk on water, have you considered that water was just 3 feet high instead of pondering about the composition of the water!?
Also, IIRC it was the Robot who provided the coordinates to NASA to Cooper when he was in singularity. So there's no time paradox here.
Also, as pointed by someone that Cooper could have written a book instead of trying to communicate with her daughter was he really being serious? You do know that he could have only used Gravity to communicate since only Gravity can transcendence Space and Time!

On a lighter note, don't know why but I think Interstellar was perfect to be named as "Gravity". The actual Gravity could have been named "Zero Gravity" or something.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interstellar - 8/10

I can't understand the timing thing at all - 1 hour there = 7 years WTF???? How did they reach Saturn in a matter of few hours?? The guy who was in the space ship aged,but brad and cooper din't age :O who came down to the planet.
You might fall asleep while watching, but watch this video:

[youtube]ev9zrt__lec[/youtube]

btw, it took them 2 years to reach Saturn from Earth.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
The ball would have followed an elliptical path, even if it went beyond the half way point. It would not go straight up.

*i.imgur.com/vZ8vcwF.gif

src : Rendezvous with Rama features a space cylinder that describes this effect > Coriolis effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
my question is does time in space affects the biological progress of human body, like ageing.

If a person goes in deep space, he is detached from early time, so will he age ? how his body will react, normally as the time passes human body also ages proportionately as per earth time, but how it will happen in space ??????????????

dont know about out of earth objects/creatures, but humans are born and belong to earth, their body clock is set as per Earth (Panchtatv - five elements Earth, Water, Fire, Air and sky) i think human body will not survive if it stay for long and long time in space, but cant say what will happen then ?????????

now i cant sleep properly after going all this thread, me and my brother was having this discussion some months back about ageing in Space ?? no answer yet

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
my question is does time in space affects the biological progress of human body, like ageing.

If a person goes in deep space, he is detached from early time, so will he age ? how his body will react, normally as the time passes human body also ages proportionately as per earth time, but how it will happen in space ??????????????

dont know about out of earth objects/creatures, but humans are born and belong to earth, their body clock is set as per Earth (Panchtatv - five elements Earth, Water, Fire, Air and sky) i think human body will not survive if it stay for long and long time in space, but cant say what will happen then ?????????

now i cant sleep properly after going all this thread, me and my brother was having this discussion some months back about ageing in Space ?? no answer yet
Time has slowed down for me. My thoughts will slow down relative to everybody outside, my chemical reactions will slow down relative to everybody outisde, everything for me will slow down relative to everybody outside BUT, everything is normal for me. I will age according to what's the time for me. Everybody will age according to what's the time is for them.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hah.. fascinating theory is this Relativity.

Btw, none of the member here mentioned this that what Cooper follows in the beginning of the movie was an "Indian Surveillance drone". So what's the significance of that drone being "Indian"? Did they mean that at that time India now spies on America? I also remember a mention of "Delhi" somewhere.

Damn I need another watch. Sometimes I think Nolan purposely makes his films confusing so as to get the discussion going. Then he complains people "have high expectations from his movie than others".

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

In your body itself, time is faster for your head and slower for your feet

time in space is just like time at home
only the rate at which it passes, changes according to how strong the gravity is
at extreme gravity, time passes slowly. In less gravity, time goes by faster.
If you keep a clock on the wall, it is slightly faster than the same clock on the floor.
some of the most accurate time keeping devices on our own planet go bork simply because no two such accurate time pieces will ever agree with each other
New Clock May End Time As We Know It : NPR

dude1

Journeyman
yeah...
According to the movie, Brand and Cooper were in a larger orbit matching the water planet around the black hole
The Water Planet, in an orbit almost on the event horizon, time passes slower than for anyone else

but the difference between the larger orbit and the planet should not be soo much that Brand and Coop age so much slower than the guy in the space ship. Maybe compared to people on Earth yes, but the guy in the space ship - nope. So you are right, and that's another plot hole.

But they reached Saturn over a period of two years I think, and they didn't age during that time because they all went into cryosleep
They do age in cryosleep. Romilly ages even though he has 2 streches of cryosleep when cooper and brand are on water planet.

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
No it talks about Indian space missions. By Delhi mission control I think they mean Indian space mission control like current day ISRO.

BTW like we say "this car is good; its German" coop said " this solar cells are good they are Indian'"( or something of similar gist). Praising Indian tech eh??

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Wow never knew that they have mentioned indian tech and something related to India, i think success of many of the ISRO missions have made them to give more important to Indian technologies.. at last something to be proud of as indian

- - - Updated - - -

and i found this

ISRO job aspirant mentions ?Understood Interstellar? as skill in resume | The UnReal Times

Christopher Balan, an engineering graduate from Bengaluru, has amused recruiters at the Indian Space Research Organisation, by mentioning “Understood Interstellar” as a part of his curriculum vitae, under the “achievements and skills” section.
*www.theunrealtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/interstellar-210x300.jpg(Image via IndiaToday.com)
“Hell yes, I have! Why shouldn’t I? Things that people usually list under the skills and achievements section – like winning some competition or some best paper award or topping in school – these are things that are banal at best. Whereas understanding Nolan’s Interstellar is like calling Arnab Goswami a liar on his face – not everyone does it!” Balan told The UnReal Times.
“So it is definitely something to be proud of and I see no reason why it shouldn’t be highlighted as a great achievement of mine. I know all the fundas behind this movie. In fact, even if Nolan himself has some doubt, he can ask me and I’ll be glad to explain it to him,” he added.
An amused ISRO chairman K Radhakrishnan acknowledged that they had indeed received Balan’s resume. “Yes, the resume is with us. I was busy tracking what Mangalyaan is doing when our recruiters called me up to mention this news. I asked them to forward his resume to me and well, it’s quite interesting,” Radhakrishnan said.
“I think we will shortlist him for an interview, considering that Interstellar is a movie which many of us ourselves didn’t really understand. This’ll also be a good session for us to get all our doubts clarified, whether or not we’re going to hire him,” he added.
Catching up with the news, Headlines Today consulting editor Rajdeep Sardesai too, claimed that he understood Interstellar properly and that people could ask him anything about the movie. When asked a pertinent question, Rajdeep immediately replied, “Read my book!”

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I really enjoyed Interstellar. The amazing score by Zimmer added more to the immersion. All in all, a fantastic movie with lots of emotions. Nolan really highlights the human element very well in most of his movies. I had to hold back tears when Alfred sees Bruce in that restaurant in venice and in this movie when Cooper meets murph. :)

Dont really understand the people;s viewpoint who said it was boring. Maybe they were put off by too much science stuff.

icebags

Technomancer
^those who say its boring, probably need steroid in their real life to feel anything. it's an amazing movie.

End of story , good bye . The End . This thread is more complicated than the movie itself ....

plz comeback ! thread is a lot simpler now !

Top Bottom