Interstellar (2014) Movie Discussion *Spoilers Ahead*

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol: this reminded me of those fictional characters fight thread(superman vs batman).This is just a movie,nothing else.In a movie where there is a 5th dimension & time itself can be bend anything is possible.btw [MENTION=121491]rajatGod512[/MENTION],time does not exist in only 1 frame of reference so yes there are different time frame references when cooper & brand got separated beside each of their frame of reference with respect to earth [MENTION=56202]Anorion[/MENTION],it was never shown which time of reference had applied to cooper going inside black hole & which would apply to cooper once he traveled back so maybe there was some "adjustment done to frame of references" by either "them" or cooper to match his & brand frame of reference when he will finally meet her,let's leave it at that.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
It's a problem, does not require Coop at all.

Start of movie
Brand - young woman
Murph - little girl

Water planet maneuver
Brand - young woman
Murph - young woman

50 years pass on earth
Brand - young woman
Murph - old woman

see the problem now?

even if the tesseract sent Coop back in time or something, Brand and Murphy should have aged at the same rate after the water planet maneuver

One more thing is how Coop had to first give the co-ordinates of NASA then spell out stay. A simpler way to make himself stay would be to not give out the co-ordinates in the first place? Coop had to do nothing in the tesseract if all he wanted to do was not leave in the first place. If he did want to send out the singularity equations, he needn't have spelled out stay and risk it.

Also, using the cryo sleep tech creatively gives pretty good solutions to a lot of the problems. The lack of food because of the blight, the space travel, the colonization, and the time difference for the astronaut's families can all be solved. Keep people in cryosleep in cycles till everyone has enough food, match the time spent by astronauts near black holes by sending their families to cryosleep, keep the first colonisers in cryosleep till all the others follow and then wake them all up together... all of these strategies are sci-fi staple.

icebags

Technomancer
watching cam print.

will get back soon.

i agree with vyom, don't kill the film ! it's something to experience at top rated screens ! at least visit some good hall if not imax.

/////

Last edited:
OP
rajatGod512

rajatGod512

N00B Troller

Start of movie
Brand - young woman
Murph - little girl

Water planet maneuver
Brand - young woman
Murph - young woman

50 years pass on earth
Brand - young woman
Murph - old woman

see the problem now?

even if the tesseract sent Coop back in time or something, Brand and Murphy should have aged at the same rate after the water planet maneuver

One more thing is how Coop had to first give the co-ordinates of NASA then spell out stay. A simpler way to make himself stay would be to not give out the co-ordinates in the first place? Coop had to do nothing in the tesseract if all he wanted to do was not leave in the first place. If he did want to send out the singularity equations, he needn't have spelled out stay and risk it.

Also, using the cryo sleep tech creatively gives pretty good solutions to a lot of the problems. The lack of food because of the blight, the space travel, the colonization, and the time difference for the astronaut's families can all be solved. Keep people in cryosleep in cycles till everyone has enough food, match the time spent by astronauts near black holes by sending their families to cryosleep, keep the first colonisers in cryosleep till all the others follow and then wake them all up together... all of these strategies are sci-fi staple.

Indiana Jones all over again eh ?

- - - Updated - - -

fricking Shia Labeouf sort of avatar guy , bring me back ico ...

icebags

Technomancer
from wht i learned,they would get the data in less than 7 yrs u said,because they r transmitting from the surface to the ship provided they use radio waves,waves would be streched at the planet surface due to gravitational field and it become normal as goes far away from the surface beacuse of decreasing force

he says otherwise,information can come out
Into a Black Hole - Stephen Hawking

there is nothing called normal ! if u consider miller's planet a floppy drive and coopers ship the hard drive, then no matter how fast the HDD is, while receivng from floppy info, it cannot surpass floppy speed. the only way cooper ship could read 1hr miller data in 1 hr outer universe time, without slowing down is, going fast forward to 7 ys, i.e. travell to the future.

^^ Hawking radiation is not instantaneous, and it takes the blackhole to naturally evaporate over millions of years. We are not talking about that.

about hawking emission, it goes above my head - its a mathematics derivation and basically all math that includes calculus, flies past like fighter jets over my head. :cryeyesout: :confused:

all my understanding says, beyond the event horizon (boundary, where generated light (generated, at the very same point ! not light that coming from outside or inside) can neither go in or out. ) everything rushes to the centre thing called singularity,
i.e there nothing could be stable, but always rushing inside or if no rushing thing available, the just void perhaps.....

then finally there is singualrity @ zero radious ! all mass, no size !

(i once fantasized, if pendulum can go shm :stirpot: , then why light or other particles can not go shm around singularity, but since i never heard such theory, wont dicuss it)

so,
-> as massy the BH gets, boundary of pull gets further, i.e. event horizon area increases.
-> temperature should increase too, but there is no way for it to come out .....

and my understanding ends ...... (i will try to enhance my boundary ouf senses, by pulling more and more knowledge from outside though ! :reading: )

I still am confused what caused the tides on the first planet.

It wasnt stated , but I think it was due to the Gravitational pull of the black hole (Gargantua) . Like the tides on earth due to moon's gravitational effect .
-------------
The only question I have is how did those space shuttle even lift of that planet , when they needed big rockets to lift of on earth . (asked earlier by icebags)

gravitational pull doesn't cause waves, it only causes steady increase in liquid in eliptical shape! ;)
big huge waves are caused by super/megar/gigar windstorms and more effectively, tectonic plates repositioning themselvs in drastical manners. unless black hole gravity causing tectonic plates go boom boom, there in no way such steep waves could be created !

about the vehicle liftoff! its a mystery. :D

thing is right before the final sling-shot maneuver, the one where Coop sacrifices himself (were both of us talking of the same maneuver?), Murph and Brand were of a particular age. After the maneuver, Murph aged like I donno, 50 years maybe (no clue, you said that), basically she went from being Coop's age to being an old woman. But Brand didn't age at all, still Coop spent more time close to the Singularity than Brand, so Brand should have aged. This is the movie's own logic, can't argue this with science also.

at singularity, space should be zero or infinite - caz when speed of light is 0 both r same ! and so [delta] time i.e. rate of change of time should be 0.

and given that cooper was given options to communicate with daughter in different times, it was absolutely cruel intentions by "them" to move cooper 50yrs further ahead in time to put around saturn. it sounds absolute intentional. :/

few more possible plot holes noticed :

when they are standing before thw WH, they could see stars from other side. so, if light could pass through, then why can't other em radio waves? they should have been able to send their data from other side. (in more recent sifi shows, wormholes are always shown bidirectional)

unless millers planet was very very near, and rise of time distortion curve was steep (which did not look like should be from looking at the distance between millers planet and gargantula) they should have taken very very long time to even reach the planet in the eye of outside world, even if the distance is considerably small. but not sure about this, when speed of light is ralative, position of planet goes relative as well - complex stuff.

*people.bu.edu/pbokulic/blackholes/schwarzschild-bh.gif

Unless the blackhole is a super-massive blackhole and its SC radius is considerably big, but then again, a super-massive blackhole is surrounded by accretion disks emitting explosions of 100 suns, colliding star mass, gamma ray and x ray radiations, super magnetic storms, nova and unimaginable amount of swirling high velocity gas and plasma and remnants of planets and debri and what not! its not like anyone can go there with a spaceship unhindered and gracefully, maneuvering their ship as much as they like inside that s#itstorm.

+1 to this & supporting with pics.

*www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/trending/2012/10/08/speeding_star_near_milky_way_black_hole_tests_einstein_s_relativity_/1591866.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg

i might have gone a bit of gaga over the technical stuff, but could not resist with all the gyaan sharing going on ! :p

OP
rajatGod512

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
:lol: this reminded me of those fictional characters fight thread(superman vs batman).This is just a movie,nothing else.In a movie where there is a 5th dimension & time itself can be bend anything is possible.

End of story , good bye . The End . This thread is more complicated than the movie itself ....

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Hmm. So the NASA people in the movie looked at a bunch of pixelated light blobs and decided it was a bad idea to try and relocate humanity on a planet orbitting a black hole only after physically getting there.

someone should have shown them this:
*i.imgur.com/3WUcx4B.jpg

singleindian

Journeyman

Start of movie
Brand - young woman
Murph - little girl

Water planet maneuver
Brand - young woman
Murph - young woman

50 years pass on earth
Brand - young woman
Murph - old woman

see the problem now?

i dont see a problem thr. brand is not in earth,she is in other galaxy,why do u put her on earth?:shock:

- - - Updated - - -

there is nothing called normal ! if u consider miller's planet a floppy drive and coopers ship the hard drive, then no matter how fast the HDD is, while receivng from floppy info, it cannot surpass floppy speed. the only way cooper ship could read 1hr miller data in 1 hr outer universe time, without slowing down is, going fast forward to 7 ys, i.e. travell to the future.

about hawking emission, it goes above my head - its a mathematics derivation and basically all math that includes calculus, flies past like fighter jets over my head. :cryeyesout: :confused:

all my understanding says, beyond the event horizon (boundary, where generated light (generated, at the very same point ! not light that coming from outside or inside) can neither go in or out. ) everything rushes to the centre thing called singularity,
i.e there nothing could be stable, but always rushing inside or if no rushing thing available, the just void perhaps.....

then finally there is singualrity @ zero radious ! all mass, no size !

(i once fantasized, if pendulum can go shm :stirpot: , then why light or other particles can not go shm around singularity, but since i never heard such theory, wont dicuss it)

so,
-> as massy the BH gets, boundary of pull gets further, i.e. event horizon area increases.
-> temperature should increase too, but there is no way for it to come out .....

and my understanding ends ...... (i will try to enhance my boundary ouf senses, by pulling more and more knowledge from outside though ! :reading: )

gravitational pull doesn't cause waves, it only causes steady increase in liquid in eliptical shape! ;)
big huge waves are caused by super/megar/gigar windstorms and more effectively, tectonic plates repositioning themselvs in drastical manners. unless black hole gravity causing tectonic plates go boom boom, there in no way such steep waves could be created !

about the vehicle liftoff! its a mystery. :D

at singularity, space should be zero or infinite - caz when speed of light is 0 both r same ! and so [delta] time i.e. rate of change of time should be 0.

and given that cooper was given options to communicate with daughter in different times, it was absolutely cruel intentions by "them" to move cooper 50yrs further ahead in time to put around saturn. it sounds absolute intentional. :/

few more possible plot holes noticed :

when they are standing before thw WH, they could see stars from other side. so, if light could pass through, then why can't other em radio waves? they should have been able to send their data from other side. (in more recent sifi shows, wormholes are always shown bidirectional)

unless millers planet was very very near, and rise of time distortion curve was steep (which did not look like should be from looking at the distance between millers planet and gargantula) they should have taken very very long time to even reach the planet in the eye of outside world, even if the distance is considerably small. but not sure about this, when speed of light is ralative, position of planet goes relative as well - complex stuff.

*people.bu.edu/pbokulic/blackholes/schwarzschild-bh.gif

+1 to this & supporting with pics.

*www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/trending/2012/10/08/speeding_star_near_milky_way_black_hole_tests_einstein_s_relativity_/1591866.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg

i might have gone a bit of gaga over the technical stuff, but could not resist with all the gyaan sharing going on ! :p

the vehicle liftoff is not mystery,its simply saving fuel,that the spacecraft can used for more travel.imagine small spacecraft with huge fuel rockets.it doesn't look pretty.most probably with disintegrate while eascaping earths gravity and air.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. So the NASA people in the movie looked at a bunch of pixelated light blobs and decided it was a bad idea to try and relocate humanity on a planet orbitting a black hole only after physically getting there.

someone should have shown them this:
*i.imgur.com/3WUcx4B.jpg

when its comes to saving humanity,why not?

- - - Updated - - -

:lol: this reminded me of those fictional characters fight thread(superman vs batman).This is just a movie,nothing else.In a movie where there is a 5th dimension & time itself can be bend anything is possible.btw [MENTION=121491]rajatGod512[/MENTION],time does not exist in only 1 frame of reference so yes there are different time frame references when cooper & brand got separated beside each of their frame of reference with respect to earth [MENTION=56202]Anorion[/MENTION],it was never shown which time of reference had applied to cooper going inside black hole & which would apply to cooper once he traveled back so maybe there was some "adjustment done to frame of references" by either "them" or cooper to match his & brand frame of reference when he will finally meet her,let's leave it at that.

thr is only one time of reference,ie time of reference of subject with respect to viewer.its that simple.whn in blackhole time ceases to exist.movie shows tht,he goes to 5th dimension.i think this reference thing doesnt apply thr .

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Neil deGrasse Tyson Breaks Down ?Interstellar?: Black Holes, Time Dilations, and Massive Waves - The Daily Beast

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
no man can survive spaghetti-phication while crossing event horizon. The insane gravitational pull at the head of the falling man and at his feet would be godly, not only the magnitude, but also, the difference between them, that would instantly tear the body apart.

Unless the blackhole is a super-massive blackhole and its SC radius is considerably big, but then again, a super-massive blackhole is surrounded by accretion disks emitting explosions of 100 suns, colliding star mass, gamma ray and x ray radiations, super magnetic storms, nova and unimaginable amount of swirling high velocity gas and plasma and remnants of planets and debri and what not! its not like anyone can go there with a spaceship unhindered and gracefully, maneuvering their ship as much as they like inside that s#itstorm.
+1 to this buddy.

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
Re: Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Interstellar: a scientific poetry.

And you have to be a hardcore science student to appreciate this movie.
Take a bow nolan

ashs1

Padawan
Re: Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Interstellar : 7/10
Just like I expected a Nolan movie to be.. a heavily technical and slightly deep plot...the visual effects were mesmerizing and were wonderfully complimented by the soundtracks from Hans Zimmer.. The space travel effects were astonishing, but I think gravity had slightly better and realistic effects.. The plot is Heavily technical ( at least for the casual audience).. Will be posting my thoughts/ doubts in the interstellar thread..
Matthew McConaughey, anne Hathaway were very good in their roles.
Wish I could watched this movie at IMAX...

icebags

Technomancer
the vehicle liftoff is not mystery,its simply saving fuel,that the spacecraft can used for more travel.imagine small spacecraft with huge fuel rockets.it doesn't look pretty.most probably with disintegrate while eascaping earths gravity and air.
i think only the shuttle attached with the mother ship, where did all the fuel go ?
when its comes to saving humanity,why not?
some people think otherwise : :D (if u donno the author, google up ! )
*i.imgur.com/LnQOG5A.jpg

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
right now i'm wondering if cooper had already transcended space and time and figured how to concoct and stabilize enough negative energy to sustain a worm-hole in future, why did he not simply just write a book and place it in the Library instead of haunting his beloved daughter by flipping books and finally tapping Morse code through the watch? Would the most daunting solution of the quantum-stellar equation of all time not take fking forever to transmit that way ?

Top Bottom