Interstellar (2014) Movie Discussion *Spoilers Ahead*

OP
rajatGod512

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Re: Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Frickin Big Hero 6 beat Interstellar at US box office . Now I feel the pain of DC guys when MCU movies beat them :D :)) ....

Still , Everything that can happen Will happen .

Last edited:
OP
rajatGod512

rajatGod512

N00B Troller

First reason
Disney rendered its new animated film on a 55,000-core supercomputer

oh well , both Interstellar and Big Hero 6 have same amount of budget (165 million) , both need to make atleast 500 million in their box office to be considered a pass . Both will get past that mark IMO , Interstellar made 80 million in the foreign markets where it opened (quite a few) . The most important week is the next one , which will decide where both movies are going .

So how many people were there in theater when you guys saw ? In mine showing there were around 25 people at the beginning , more than half of them left after 1 hour into the film :? , at the end it was like 7-8 of us .

Its doing awesome in big cities in India though ...

Last edited:

amjath

Human Spambot

Here the theater was full for 7.55 am show. I was :shock:ed
Another fact spoiled interstellar is the critics reviews :(

OP
rajatGod512

rajatGod512

N00B Troller

Here the theater was full for 7.55 am show. I was :shock:ed
Another fact spoiled interstellar is the critics reviews :(

lol Awesome , yeah I went in with low expectation but after getting my mind blown by the movie I was shocked as to how it only has 70 % ~ in RT .

icebags

Technomancer

lol Awesome , yeah I went in with low expectation but after getting my mind blown by the movie I was shocked as to how it only has 70 % ~ in RT .

had to struggle to get interstellar ticket in calcutta, most 9am shows went housefull by the previous day. those who went on same day, had nothing else to do but bang their head on floor. :D

as for the science part, i felt more like it was a mixture of an emotional space exploration story with the flavour of high science.

there are some lots of plot holes to begin with, one would be:
they need a big huge rocket to leave earths gravitational field, but those planets with 130% & 80% EG, they just ferried in and out in a shuttle, like driving a car. so, why they did not leave earth in shuttle in the first place ? :D

and yes, some parts including the end was very emotional, i went with a colleague, and when the show broke i knew from his voice he felt like crying. same think happened with me once or twice also. (T.T)

Last edited:
OP
rajatGod512

rajatGod512

N00B Troller

had to struggle to get interstellar ticket in calcutta, most 9am shows went housefull by the previous day. those who went on same day, had nothing else to do but bang their head on floor. :D

as for the science part, i felt more like it was a mixture of an emotional space exploration story with the flavour of high science.

there are some lots of plot holes to begin with, one would be:
they need a big huge rocket to leave earths gravitational field, but those planets with 130% & 80% EG, they just ferried in and out in a shuttle, like driving a car. so, why they did not leave earth in shuttle in the first place ? :D

and yes, some parts including the end was very emotional, i went with a colleague, and when the show broke i knew from his voice he felt like crying. same think happened with me once or twice also. (T.T)

oh well ... I got no idea , maybe I missed something , or maybe its overlooked at in the movie . Have to confirm though .

Last edited:

abhidev

Human Spambot

Interstellar - 7.5/10 great movie...superb acting...great background score

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth

Intersteller 8/10

You can't teach people Physics in 3 hours, you can try at the same time you can hope....but according to Murphy's another law "what can go wrong, would go wrong"
So, this movie is wrong choice to be accompanied with your non-science background GF/BF or normal F.

I'll still keep 'Primer' as most accurate and boring movie on time travel and sh1t!
Intersteller would come second place along with Contact.

They kept to technical authenticity but forgot to give it a soul and for a movie its soul is its story.
Like Inception it bets on its awe-inspiring concept and hopes people would not notice the lack of proper story.

Seriously, I understand lengthy shots of space shuttle driving could give orgasm to nerds but as a movie it makes you lose focus as in the end 'nothing is happening' on the screen!

Even after all these rants, I still have given it 8/10 because it excited me and made me ponder on the possibilities.

Verdict : I know most of our fellow geeks would go for it/already have seen. But, a word of caution for future audience : choose your movie companion carefully!

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl

Interstellar - 7.2/10

Should have given 9.
but

7 for content and act, 0.2 for visuals. a great director should not forget the fundamentalist's tenet, a movie is a visual experience. A movie that is so rich in data, so incredibly dull and drab in CGI, that these don't couple! When its a movie about interstellar space travels, spinning black holes, time dilation and perceptive space-time paradoxes, it should be a movie where people's jaw will drop in awe by the CGI, not a movie where fixed camera shots and half-baked panoramic space images.

And Nolan...its nothing new ok! Gravity is way ahead of this movie if you take the experience about the SPACE into account. This could be the movie of the century with that mind-boggling story and information that is so incontrovertibly true and enigmatic in the history of particle and astrophysics. This could be the dogma of all sci-fi movies. But Nolan you played low-ball again in the graphic effects , I noticed this in Dark Knight series too, it dint hurt much. But for Interstellar, its unforgivable.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

Oh looks like it tried to be another Space Odyssey and failed

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

Interstellar 8/10.

I see that everyone's ranting about this one being too technical and lacking soul. However, being someone who lacks empathy, I was really looking forward to watching this movie for its technical authenticity, on which front it did deliver reasonably well. Of course, it proved to be a snoozefest for the generic, non-technical audience but it is a treasure for those who can comprehend what's going on and a good learning experience if rub your grey cells while you are at it.

The special effects are what made this an amazing experience for me. The backgrounds reminded me of the Homeworld series, which I am a huge fan of.

I almost wet myself seeing the black hole in the background and almost driven to tears as they orbit it to get a gravitation boost towards the third planet. I am usually never so moved.

The story is decent and tightly bound to the technical aspects of the movie. That is why a layman might struggle to find coherence in the storyline, but I believe a layman can still enjoy the movie if they think of this as an abstract art similar to David Lynch's movies.

The music is decent at best.

Final verdict: At least a good one time watch for laymen, multiple watches for those who want to understand the story properly and a must watch for science buffs.

OP
rajatGod512

rajatGod512

N00B Troller

Oh looks like it tried to be another Space Odyssey and failed

I liked Interstellar better ... :))

Going again tomorrow .

- - - Updated - - -

Intersteller 8/10

You can't teach people Physics in 3 hours, you can try at the same time you can hope....but according to Murphy's another law "what can go wrong, would go wrong"

Thats Gold

- - - Updated - - -

Interstellar 8/10.

I see that everyone's ranting about this one being too technical and lacking soul.

Some scenes like when Coop was talking with Murphy before leaving was heart-breaking , oh and then when he came back after visiting Miller's Planet and 23 years had past , then when he was watching all the messages and Coop got all teared up watching that , that was definitely a true emotional moment . I don't think it lacks soul , not one bit .

amjath

Human Spambot

I think Interstellar shouldn't have mixed reviews. Nolan has done what others couldn't speak or visualize or discuss. Worth a many time watch
[MENTION=121491]rajatGod512[/MENTION]: true literally cried when
when cooper left and count down was going on with a high pitch music damn, my heart was pounding

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl

Intersteller 8/10

So, this movie is wrong choice to be accompanied with your non-science background GF/BF or normal F.

I'll still keep 'Primer' as most accurate and boring movie on time travel and sh1t!
Intersteller would come second place along with Contact.

They kept to technical authenticity but forgot to give it a soul and for a movie its soul is its story.
Like Inception it bets on its awe-inspiring concept and hopes people would not notice the lack of proper story.

Seriously, I understand lengthy shots of space shuttle driving could give orgasm to nerds but as a movie it makes you lose focus as in the end 'nothing is happening' on the screen!

Even after all these rants, I still have given it 8/10 because it excited me and made me ponder on the possibilities.

Verdict : I know most of our fellow geeks would go for it/already have seen. But, a word of caution for future audience : choose your movie companion carefully!

[MENTION=870]rhitwick[/MENTION]

Did you mean this 'Primer'?
Primer (2004) - IMDb

icebags

Technomancer

oh well ... I got no idea , maybe I missed something , or maybe its overlooked at in the movie . Have to confirm though .

i actually read stuff before u edited it out. ;) its not very complex thing to overlook for some experienced scifi show makers, i guess they wanted to make the departure and preps for deps very dramatic. a colossal rocket roaring to the sky has its touch.

to think about it, the rocket & space science stuff are pretty down to earth in the first half, and looks highly advanced in 2nd half.

another plot hole:
say the person who landed on the near blackhole planet sent 1MB of data in 1 hr, then from outside the time distortion field they should have needed 7 years to receive the whole 1MB data. if we overlook this considering they used some super high speed broadband to download data in just a day, then atleast they would have known from time stamp, that the person just landed there due to time dilation effect. however, again, i think they gave up the logic for exploration adventure purposes.....

there are always plot holes on sci fi films, this aint any exception, but still its an amazing movie !

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl

i actually read stuff before u edited it out. ;) its not very complex thing to overlook for some experienced scifi show makers, i guess they wanted to make the departure and preps for deps very dramatic. a colossal rocket roaring to the sky has its touch.

to think about it, the rocket & space science stuff are pretty down to earth in the first half, and looks highly advanced in 2nd half.

another plot hole:
say the person who landed on the near blackhole planet sent 1MB of data in 1 hr, then from outside the time distortion field they should have needed 7 years to receive the whole 1MB data. if we overlook this considering they used some super high speed broadband to download data in just a day, then atleast they would have known from time stamp, that the person just landed there due to time dilation effect. however, again, i think they gave up the logic for exploration adventure purposes.....

there are always plot holes on sci fi films, this aint any exception, but still its an amazing movie !

Correct!

Sending quantum data after Schwarzschild radius is not possible, after that all information stays within the black hole. Simply because the speed of information propagation can not exceed the speed of light. But as we know that as we enter the particle horizon the coordinates describing radial distance and time switch roles, so the space-like co-ordinates or the delta R becomes time-like and the time-like delta T becomes space-like, meaning no matter what we do, we always move forward in time. Eventually, you're bound to hit the singularity at r = 0, then you are actually in future. So interstellar actually shows how the Schwarzschild geometry is used here for the actual time-warp theoretically possible.

But this...

"general relativity, clocks at rest run slower inside a gravitational potential than outside.

In the case of the Schwarzschild metric, the proper time, the actual time measured by an observer at rest at radius r, during an interval dt of universal time is (1 - rs/r)1/2 dt, which is less than the universal time interval dt. Thus a distant observer at rest will observe the clock of an observer at rest at radius r to run more slowly than the distant observer's own clock, by a factor
( 1 - rs / r )1/2 .
This time dilation factor tends to zero as r approaches the Schwarzschild radius rs, which means that someone at the Schwarzschild radius will appear to freeze to a stop, as seen by anyone outside the Schwarzschild radius"

So there is absolutely no way that TARS solution of solving gravity equation by sending data packets near Schwarzschild radius was possible. The only solution is shown in the movie.

singleindian

Journeyman

another plot hole:

from wht i learned,they would get the data in less than 7 yrs u said,because they r transmitting from the surface to the ship provided they use radio waves,waves would be streched at the planet surface due to gravitational field and it become normal as goes far away from the surface beacuse of decreasing force

- - - Updated - - -

Correct!

Sending quantum data after Schwarzschild radius is not possible, after that all information stays within the black hole. Simply because the speed of information propagation can not exceed the speed of light. But as we know that as we enter the particle horizon the coordinates describing radial distance and time switch roles, so the space-like co-ordinates or the delta R becomes time-like and the time-like delta T becomes space-like, meaning no matter what we do, we always move forward in time. Eventually, you're bound to hit the singularity at r = 0, then you are actually in future. So interstellar actually shows how the Schwarzschild geometry is used here for the actual time-warp theoretically possible.

But this...

"general relativity, clocks at rest run slower inside a gravitational potential than outside.

In the case of the Schwarzschild metric, the proper time, the actual time measured by an observer at rest at radius r, during an interval dt of universal time is (1 - rs/r)1/2 dt, which is less than the universal time interval dt. Thus a distant observer at rest will observe the clock of an observer at rest at radius r to run more slowly than the distant observer's own clock, by a factor
( 1 - rs / r )1/2 .
This time dilation factor tends to zero as r approaches the Schwarzschild radius rs, which means that someone at the Schwarzschild radius will appear to freeze to a stop, as seen by anyone outside the Schwarzschild radius"

So there is absolutely no way that TARS solution of solving gravity equation by sending data packets near Schwarzschild radius was possible. The only solution is shown in the movie.

he says otherwise,information can come out
*www.hawking.org.uk/into-a-black-hole.html

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl

^^ Hawking radiation is not instantaneous, and it takes the blackhole to naturally evaporate over millions of years. We are not talking about that.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

hey cool nice dissections of Interstellar. The movie was not very scientific. It is possible to know the atmospheric compositions of planets with the technology we have, without actually having to go there. Scouting out habitable ones wouldn't require the effort they put in. They showed things bending because of high gravity, but they did not show how light behaves at relativistic speeds. If your fingers are appearing to bend, then the colours would have shifted too. They totally mis interpreted murphy's law, and that is not even science. It does not say anything that can happen will happen, it is specifically about things going wrong, and the statement is anything that can go wrong, will. That is it, there is no other interpretation. They did dumb down the movie, glossed over the magic-science, but at least they tried a bit and it's groundwork for other film makers who might be brave enough to make more hard sci fi films. There was really no point to the story, but it was beautiful, powerful, visually stunning and went right for the feels. Juggling the human condition and science can be tough to pull off, and these guys did an ok job. The rules of how a camera should move in space was totally rewritten by Gravity, and the grounded, horizontally oriented camera work in the space sequences seem primitive. The robots were well done though, a progress from Odyssey and Moon.

Forget science, the movie is not consistent with it's own rules
How come Brand did not age? Since she did not go into the black hole, she should have aged a lot more compared to Cooper. The O'Neill Cylinder must have been much, much larger, this looked like a small curved neighborhood, not even a station. Love as a 5th dimensional artefact - lulzk. How come the signals were one way through the wormhole, there is no reason for that. It seems to be sending exactly the amount of information required to take the plot forward, and as per the convenience of the story. Pan dimensional beings/ evolved humans interacting with our space and our time and all they can do is drop a few books? Yeah right. What did Tars see within the black hole because he got the equations to send it back, something totally different from what Cooper saw. And the equation, what exactly did Murph solve, especially when the equation was already solved. Sending complex communications in morse or binary manually can take a lot of time, the signals seem to compact for such methods. It would have been a terribly cumbersome process even if they did it. The future evolved humanity could have definitely done more to help out mankind with the technology they were shown to have. Donno what kind of wormholes they were showing, but the types that allow you to actually travel through should theoretically be possible through time as well, and would not have all the exotic special fx things in a tunnel, would be more like a portal or a doorway. No reason for the humans to go with Plan A and the Robots executing Plan B

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Great movie :D
9/10
Already had a hunch that Cooper would be the ghost as I remembered the weeping angels episode of Doctor Who :wink:

Last edited:
Top Bottom