Internet Connection in Linux via Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Hi guys i have MINT installed on my machine... i followed all the wvdialconf steps mentioned to connect my SE K508i using data cable.........

I have done everything correctly...

The prob is:

When i type wvdial in terminal.. the phone gets connected to internet... buti'm unable to browse the net in firefox or even i can update software packages, literally the net gets connected in phone but cant access the internet in the MINT

i was using Ubuntu a month ago with the same settings... it was working fine ... but not it wont...

PLEAsE help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.. :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
maybe it's a DNS problem as someone else had too. In that case, providing the address of DNS server in prepend section of /etc/dhclient.conf worked. Try that.
And put this query up in Mint's forum, it could likely be a bug. If it is, you can report it.

harshiloh

Right off the assembly line
how to change my bluetooth device in fedora7 to "connectable and visible to others" and "set the make adapter invisible after to never"

din

Tribal Boy
hitbox.champion said:
........with a blinking cursor.

Using Hutch GPRS on Ubuntu 7

Did you try browsing keeping that window (terminal) there ?

I think when it shows the output you posted, it is connected.

azzu said:
^^ yup thx iam unable to save wvdail file plzz help me :(
cmon

What error you get ? Also, did you try editing file after logging as root ?

Last edited:

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
i already surf net through GPRS on Ubuntu7.04, and Kubuntu 7.04......
but this theory is not working with Fedora and Mandriva2006...
anyone can help me please??

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
Tech.Masti said:
i already surf net through GPRS on Ubuntu7.04, and Kubuntu 7.04......
but this theory is not working with Fedora and Mandriva2006...
anyone can help me please??

if you've done everything correctly as mentioned in the first post and still it doesn't work then do this
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=414344&postcount=15

edit: @Gigacore, same thing will work for you too mate.
and as of now the dns servers have changed here(considering airtel mo), now they are
Code:
202.56.250.5, 202.56.250.6

Last edited:

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
Thanks so much for this tutorial. I could connect my E50 thru ubuntu gutsy in just 2 mins. Everything was automatically configured. I needn't change anything in wvdialconf. :)

cam.turn

Right off the assembly line
Hello,

Why are you attempting to use wvdial? Of course, that's the semi-official way for the Tata Indicom Plug2Surf (as in it's in the manual), but for just about every other phone that you're likely to have, GPRS Easy Connect should work!

You can find a guide to installing it on their website, at *www.gprsec.hu/modules/docs/. Note that it doesn't work for Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, or any of the other *buntus) yet, but there is a workaround - install everything by hand!
The guide is at *www.gprsec.hu/modules/news/view.php?id=260.

Apparently the system supports Airtel at the least, but they don't have Vodafone listed there - annoying, since with Vodafone being an international company, surely they'll have 3G before anyone else? Someone should track down the Vodafone details and post them on the forum there.

That's all folks (power cut),
Cam.Turn

WARNING: DON'T try installing any other software by hand if it doesn't work, as it's VERY likely that you'll break your system. Instead, ask on their forum, or e-mail one of the developers. If it turns out that you HAVE to install it by hand, ask the developers to give you detailed instructions.

New

Padawan
Hi guys... I tried connect my k750i to net using Ubuntu today..I followed the procedure which is the first page..After the command
"kwrite /etc/wvdial.conf" it asks to install some application which is not there in my system.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
New said:
Hi guys... I tried connect my k750i to net using Ubuntu today..I followed the procedure which is the first page..After the command
"kwrite /etc/wvdial.conf" it asks to install some application which is not there in my system.
dude what was the name of some application?
also you can also try gedit in place of kate if you have a Gnome Desktop

New

Padawan
Yes.. I have Gnome and will try it..Thanks..
Edit: I tried it by giving kate..Error is like this"The program k write is not installed on your system.You can install it by giving command ---------(some command).When I enter that command it gives the error like this" E:could't find package Kate"

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
New said:
Yes.. I have Gnome and will try it..Thanks..
Edit: I tried it by giving kate..Error is like this"The program k write is not installed on your system.You can install it by giving command ---------(some command).When I enter that command it gives the error like this" E:could't find package Kate"
yes use gedit in place of kate whenever you encounter this error:)

New

Padawan
Thanks.. Everything goes fine till the end.But, when i enter wvdial it shows the eoor "no such file or directory":confused:.What to do now?Btw I could't save the file in that location which it shows...

Last edited:

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
help. doesnt work on Ubuntu 7.10 Live cd.
i ve airtel MO.
whats will be settings for phone no., username and password for wvdial conf file?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
blueshift said:
help. doesnt work on Ubuntu 7.10 Live cd.
i ve airtel MO.
whats will be settings for phone no., username and password for wvdial conf file?
use this
phone number = call customer care & ask
user name = it should be blank but linux does not allow this, so use 'a'
password = same case can't be left blank so use 'b'

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Ok. now i installed ubuntu.

which phone no. do i have to ask gary? In windows it used to show 90# something..i dont remember exactly.
also my mob is detected on ttyACM0 instead of ttyUSB0 as in the tut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom